Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Asus H81M-C

• 18-08-2014 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I'm from the socket 775 days.

Needed some sort of upgrade so bought the new G3258 and as far as I could see a standard motherboard (ASUS H81M-C). They normally don't make THAT much of a difference.

But is seems overclocking has been restricted and I'm also hearing conflicting reports of Intel blocking overclocking, ASUS then allowing it and Intel blocking it again?

What's the story, can I overclock on this motherboard? UEFI is driving me cracked already trying to figure this out! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

You've Bought them , have you built the system or is this a thought experiment?

As far as I can tell that series of CPU is unlocked , so if the motherboard allows it should be overclockable...

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭ricimaki

I can confirm that the Asus H81m-E board can overclock the Pentium Anniversary edition. Built a rig for a friend, and set it to 4.2 GHz. I didn't try anything higher, as it is a very low end board, and wasn't sure how the VRM would cope. You will need one of the latest BIOS/UEFI versions available to do it though. I presume the H81m-C can do it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

ricimaki wrote: »
    I can confirm that the Asus H81m-E board can overclock the Pentium Anniversary edition. Built a rig for a friend, and set it to 4.2 GHz. I didn't try anything higher, as it is a very low end board, and wasn't sure how the VRM would cope. You will need one of the latest BIOS/UEFI versions available to do it though. I presume the H81m-C can do it too.

How did you do it though? I've overclocked loads of S775 motherboards, but can't find the options on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭ricimaki

In the EFI, go into the AI tweaker tab, and I think it was called CPU core ratio. Where it says auto, click, and it will either change to manual and bring up 2 new options below it, or it will change to a number, which is the multiplier. (I don't have the board to hand at the moment, working from memory and the manual.) Whichever case it is, the number that appears is the multiplier, which gives you your CPU frequency. To double check it, just increase or decrease it by 1, and check in CPU-Z if it had any effect.

There are no options to change the base clock (100MHz) on the board (or there might be, but I didn't see it), but you probably won't want to do too much with that anyway.

As for voltage control, the only thing I changed is the CPU core voltage from auto to the lowest value that makes it stable.

Advertisement