Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First round failed - round 2 question.

Options
  • 18-08-2014 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi guys i have question for you as i know sht about cao.

So i chosen 3 courses and I only got accepted in 1 of them which is Griffith. Now i know that it wasn't good choice and i really don't want go there but at least its something. I got 230 CAO points and my other courses requires : 255 points and 200 points. My question is, should i accept griffith even if i don't like this and pray for 2nd round that my other offer will be accepted or just don't accept Griffith?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

If you know now that you do not want to go to Griffith then don't accept your place. Whether or not you accept the place doesn't affect the 2nd round offers - i.e. if you accept the place you can still get a 2nd round offer - but if you don't want to go there then there's not much point in accepting the place plus you're making some other poor soul who might desperately want the course wait even longer for an offer.

If however you think you'd be ok with this course even if you don't get a 2nd round offer then sure, accept away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

If you want to accept the course now you can always change your mind and drop out before registration. First time I went through the CAO I accepted my second choice, but after thinking about it for a couple of weeks I decided I'd rather repeat and get my first choice. All I had to do was email the CAO tell them I didn't want the course and that was the end of it. If you want to keep Griffith as an option while you make up your mind, then accept, you can still get a higher offer no matter what happens.

But like Konata said, if you know for definite you don't want this course you're not going to gain anything by accepting it. Speaking as someone who was in this position a few years ago, the best thing you can do is try to forget about the offer you don't want. Pretend its not an option and then you can move on and figure out what you do want to do. This is the best time to look into PLC courses or talk to your old school about repeating. Most schools have a guidance councillor available these days who should be able to advise you on alternate entry routes. Hopefully you'll get your offer and wont need the information, but its worth having it just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thedumbone

Well i just wont accept it i guess, fees are too high etc.

Anyway i really appreciate your replies !
    thanks so much

Advertisement