Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BACHELOR OF SCIENCE COMPUTER SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT CW217

Options
  • 18-08-2014 3:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

So I wanted to do this course at Carlow IT. I have done 1 year course in FETAC Level 6 Computer Science. I heard that students can skip the first year at Carlow IT. Is that possible? The only module I didn't do in my FETAC is Math's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

I don't know for sure about your specific course, you'll have to check with the college but its definitely possible to go straight into second year on the back of year in a computer science course with a similar curriculum. Provided you have covered some of the same subjects in attaining your FETAC lvl 6 I shouldn't see a problem with going straight into second year.

The subjects from first year are as follows.
    • Mathematics 1
    • Programming 1
    • Computer Hardware
    • Operating Systems
    • Networking
    • Applications & Interpersonal Communications 1

From what I recall

Maths consists of number theory, sets, boolean algebra, probability, vectors, graphs and trigonometry.

Programming was very basic java. Data types, control statements etc up to objects, classes, lab work as well as the theory.

Computer hardware was some very basic labs on physical components and then non too heavy theory of cpu, storage etc. With some assembly language in there too.

Operating systems covered the use of windows and linux, some system management stuff and command line stuff in the labs. The theory was also about storage, processing, data management etc. Nothing too hard.

Networking followed along the CCNA certification program with a CCNA cert at the end.

And Applications was basically just a more involved ECDL. Just the use of Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Access and some letter writing and a couple of assignments in the form of technical reports.

Given the subjects in second year are:
    • Mathematics 2
    • Web Programming & Databases Programming
    • Network Systems Administration
    • Training & Support
    • Multimedia Systems
    • Project

The emphasis for you would be on having some familiarity with the networking, applications, operating systems stuff rather than programming or hardware.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

I don't know for sure about your specific course, you'll have to check with the college but its definitely possible to go straight into second year on the back of year in a computer science course with a similar curriculum. Provided you have covered some of the same subjects in attaining your FETAC lvl 6 I shouldn't see a problem with going straight into second year.

The subjects from first year are as follows.
    • Mathematics 1
    • Programming 1
    • Computer Hardware
    • Operating Systems
    • Networking
    • Applications & Interpersonal Communications 1

From what I recall

Maths consists of number theory, sets, boolean algebra, probability, vectors, graphs and trigonometry.

Programming was very basic java. Data types, control statements etc up to objects, classes, lab work as well as the theory.

Computer hardware was some very basic labs on physical components and then non too heavy theory of cpu, storage etc. With some assembly language in there too.

Operating systems covered the use of windows and linux, some system management stuff and command line stuff in the labs. The theory was also about storage, processing, data management etc. Nothing too hard.

Networking followed along the CCNA certification program with a CCNA cert at the end.

And Applications was basically just a more involved ECDL. Just the use of Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Access and some letter writing and a couple of assignments in the form of technical reports.

Given the subjects in second year are:
    • Mathematics 2
    • Web Programming & Databases Programming
    • Network Systems Administration
    • Training & Support
    • Multimedia Systems
    • Project

The emphasis for you would be on having some familiarity with the networking, applications, operating systems stuff rather than programming or hardware.

Sweet thanks for the great information. Well in year one I have not done Applications & Interpersonal Communications 1 and Math's 1. Also the programming I done was c sharp related. So this is going to be problamatic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

fontdor wrote: »
    Sweet thanks for the great information. Well in year one I have not done Applications & Interpersonal Communications 1 and Math's 1. Also the programming I done was c sharp related. So this is going to be problamatic?

Applications & Interpersonal Communications as I said was really just use of Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access with a presentation, some letter writing, technical report and a small amount of HTML. Not doing any of it might put you at a slight disadvantage in second year but it won't make it impossible I don't think. Its all easy to pick up anyway. But they do kind of continue on straight away with the HTML in the web development module in second year. So if you've absolutely no clue of that you might find it tough to get started.

The maths kind of lays the foundation for the second year curriculum but its not really essential for it. So while it would be a help you can learn what you need to know in second year easy enough as far as I'm aware. So I can't see that being much of an issue.

The programming in C# if you were good at it would probably benefit you in terms of learning Javascript and PHP in the Web Development module. But apart from that I don't think there is any programming at all.

I'd say the only thing that would stop you getting in would be the lack of a place. There's usually a few drop outs through first year but I'd imagine you won't be the only one trying to get into second year either and from what I know there's usually some people in the software development course switching over to systems management after having issues with programming in first year. That said I'm just guessing here and you'd really need to talk to the college.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

Applications & Interpersonal Communications as I said was really just use of Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access with a presentation, some letter writing, technical report and a small amount of HTML. Not doing any of it might put you at a slight disadvantage in second year but it won't make it impossible I don't think. Its all easy to pick up anyway. But they do kind of continue on straight away with the HTML in the web development module in second year. So if you've absolutely no clue of that you might find it tough to get started.

The maths kind of lays the foundation for the second year curriculum but its not really essential for it. So while it would be a help you can learn what you need to know in second year easy enough as far as I'm aware. So I can't see that being much of an issue.

The programming in C# if you were good at it would probably benefit you in terms of learning Javascript and PHP in the Web Development module. But apart from that I don't think there is any programming at all.

I'd say the only thing that would stop you getting in would be the lack of a place. There's usually a few drop outs through first year but I'd imagine you won't be the only one trying to get into second year either and from what I know there's usually some people in the software development course switching over to systems management after having issues with programming in first year. That said I'm just guessing here and you'd really need to talk to the college.

Thank you so much for all your great help and information. Much appreciated.

Advertisement