Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hpat conundrum?

Options
  • 18-08-2014 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Can someone explain to me how the hpat works, everyone seems to tell me different things, I realise that it is marked out of 300 and added to your LC results but I don't understand that 550 cap or how many people say that 480 will not get you into medicine and you should be getting closer to 550 in hopes to get in.
    That along with the new hpat issue
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/exams/massive-drop-in-medicine-points-due-to-change-in-test-marking-30515345.html
    can someone explain this please? I have a good idea what its all about but I don't know if I'm right or not, nobody around me can make heads or tails of it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Seanf999 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me how the hpat works, everyone seems to tell me different things, I realise that it is marked out of 300 and added to your LC results but I don't understand that 550 cap or how many people say that 480 will not get you into medicine and you should be getting closer to 550 in hopes to get in.
    That along with the new hpat issue
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/exams/massive-drop-in-medicine-points-due-to-change-in-test-marking-30515345.html
    can someone explain this please? I have a good idea what its all about but I don't know if I'm right or not, nobody around me can make heads or tails of it!

So the HPAT doesn't actually have a set marking scheme, the marks are weighted differently each year as far as I understand.
    So basically if you get your LC and you are adding up your points for Medicine... every 5 points AFTER 550 counts as 1 points i.e. if I got 625 points and want medicine they are looking at that as 565! Another example: if I got 560 that would be 552 points... this is solely for Medicine.

They then add your HPAT score which you are given and if you reach the points quota you're in! E.g. I got 580 points and 180 in my HPAT... that gives me... 556 plus 180 which would be 736 which would have meant I would have got Medicine this year.

Any further questions and I'd be happy to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

Cheers! so what should I be aiming for in the LC and hpat? I've been told 720 is about average for getting in I'm going into 5th year in a week or so and I plan on doing medicine, but the guidance counsellor likes to ignore the hpat..

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Seanf999 wrote: »
    Cheers! so what should I be aiming for in the LC and hpat? I've been told 720 is about average for getting in I'm going into 5th year in a week or so and I plan on doing medicine, but the guidance counsellor likes to ignore the hpat..

Well if you can get at least 550 you should be safe with a decent HPAT. But I was reading earlier a guy saying he got 530 and is in. Aim for 550 to be safe. Just a little above 720 it was minimum 722.
    I can't tell you what to aim for the HPAT because since it is a different test each year the scores vary drastically you should aim to be in the 85th percentile +.

No problem just keep on top of everything in fifth year don't burn yourself out too much and best of luck with everything :)

Advertisement