Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR Scheme

Options
  • 18-08-2014 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

How do I know if my college place has been offered through hear ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

If you got less points than the minimum points for 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 42 K6Y

How much points does it say under the course you've been offered? It says 979 on mine (which is a CAO code for HEAR scheme I think), but then again I had more than enough points to get in without it, so idk wtf is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 14 koptart

My sons cao had 978 under his offer. The course he got was 50 points more then he got in the leaving

K6Y wrote: »
    How much points does it say under the course you've been offered? It says 979 on mine (which is a CAO code for HEAR scheme I think), but then again I had more than enough points to get in without it, so idk wtf is going on

yeah i got 390 and needed 370 does this mean i'm still going through hear even though i didn't need to ?

Aarong9224 wrote: »
    yeah i got 390 and needed 370 does this mean i'm still going through hear even though i didn't need to ?

That's what I'm worried about. I don't want to go to the HEAR orientation. But if the poster's son above got 978 and got LESS than the required points, and we got 979 and got MORE than the required points, then that might mean they separated the two groups or something. I might call them and ask before I accept my offer.

• Advertisement

That's what I'm worried about. I don't want to go to the HEAR orientation. But if the poster's son above got 978 and got LESS than the required points, and we got 979 and got MORE than the required points, then that might mean they separated the two groups or something. I might call them and ask before I accept my offer.

yeah if you call will you let me know ? i dont wanna go to that thing either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Aarong9224 wrote: »
    yeah if you call will you let me know ? i dont wanna go to that thing either.

I don't understand that attitude to be honest. HEAR are giving you extra help, allowing you access a course you may not have been qualified for, in some cases financial assistance (or in kind) and you won't bother to show up for a free orientation?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

The whole 979 business is confusing me now. I thought once you got accepted onto the HEAR scheme, you were competing for a HEAR place on your college course instead of a regular place, irrespective of points? It turned out I had enough points for my course, so do I have a HEAR place?

On the sheet posted out to me this morning from CAO, under my first choice (which I accepted), it says my points are 979. It says that for my 4th choice as well, but the rest just says the points I actually got. Does that mean I would've only got a HEAR place for my 1st and 4th choice courses and had I gotten any of the others, I would've gotten an ordinary place? I'm confused now.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

The whole 979 business is confusing me now. I thought once you got accepted onto the HEAR scheme, you were competing for a HEAR place on your college course instead of a regular place, irrespective of points? It turned out I had enough points for my course, so do I have a HEAR place?

On the sheet posted out to me this morning from CAO, under my first choice (which I accepted), it says my points are 979. It says that for my 4th choice as well, but the rest just says the points I actually got. Does that mean I would've only got a HEAR place for my 1st and 4th choice courses and had I gotten any of the others, I would've gotten an ordinary place? I'm confused now.

I'm glad I'm not the only one totally confused by this too.I don't know whether it was in this thread or another that I posted that my son has 9792 as a score under the first choice and then 255 (his actual points) under the other two options. Surely it's not 9,792 points is it? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

Fiolina wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one totally confused by this too.I don't know whether it was in this thread or another that I posted that my son has 9792 as a score under the first choice and then 255 (his actual points) under the other two options. Surely it's not 9,792 points is it? :confused::confused:

I hadn't even paid attention to the 979's until I seen this thread - I was just sure if you had been accepted to the HEAR scheme, you would be given a HEAR place in whatever courses you were offered.

One of my Level 6/7's say 9795 as well, literally no idea what it's supposed to mean :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 JasB14

I had applied for my 1st choice through the HEAR scheme and unfortunatly missed out on my place due to luck of the draw in d.i.t but as far as i understand the code is under relevant courses for colleges which use the HEAR scheme (as some colleges dont use it) and that is why some have the course have the HEAR code and some have the normal points printed beneath them.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

I had different scores on my CAO letter this morning too. 510 (my actual points), 979 and 777. Confused.

spurious wrote: »
    I don't understand that attitude to be honest. HEAR are giving you extra help, allowing you access a course you may not have been qualified for, in some cases financial assistance (or in kind) and you won't bother to show up for a free orientation?

I can understand if you didn't get the points needed then you should go (after all, they're the reason you're going to college). But I and many others did get enough points so why force us to go to some extra thing for a full week and threaten to cancel our place in college if we don't? I really don't care if I get or don't get the extra benefits of HEAR, most people just apply for the possible points redcution.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

I can understand if you didn't get the points needed then you should go (after all, they're the reason you're going to college). But I and many others did get enough points so why force us to go to some extra thing for a full week and threaten to cancel our place in college if we don't? I really don't care if I get or don't get the extra benefits of HEAR, most people just apply for the possible points redcution.

I got over 50 points more than my course this year but got accepted to HEAR, and I think the orientation will still be important. HEAR gives many more benefits than just points reduced places, and I know many people who wish they were eligible for HEAR so I'd count myself lucky you got accepted in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You'll be turning down any offered money, extra classes, or laptop so?

Anyone I knew on HEAR really needed the extra assistance it was set up to give. Interesting to know there are some people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mhangasor

From my experience in knowing people who applied to HEAR when I did my Leaving Cert 2 years ago, it's a very abused system. I knew a fair few people who got it that didn't really need the assistance and got it through lots of back doors. Our school really pushed people to get it and for the wrong reasons. It was really annoying to see the people who got accepted complain about the delay in getting their grant (there was a big delay in grants 2 years ago) because it meant they couldn't go out and drink as much as others.

The DARE scheme should really be reserved for hardworking students who don't have the money for college fees, laptops etc and I hate seeing it abused. I know this is sort of off topic but I feel like it should be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

I agree with the above. Why apply for it if you have no interest in taking up the offer? Doesn't this essentially mean you are denying someone else a place on DARE/HEAR? My son has been accepted for the HEAR scheme and the extra tuition etc will mean a lot to him and me and I am extremely grateful for it. I don't think there is any financial assistance with it, I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mhangasor

Fiolina wrote: »
    I agree with the above. Why apply for it if you have no interest in taking up the offer? Doesn't this essentially mean you are denying someone else a place on DARE/HEAR? My son has been accepted for the HEAR scheme and the extra tuition etc will mean a lot to him and me and I am extremely grateful for it. I don't think there is any financial assistance with it, I could be wrong though.

Actually, now that I think of it, the grant was from SUSI, not HEAR. I got confused since a lot of the same people who applied to HEAR also applied to SUSI in my year.

In some cases, there is also money available through HEAR. I'm sure they will tell you at the orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yulkmn

I dont get the laptop part.. Do you get a laptop if you are accepted through HEAR?

• Advertisement

Yulkmn wrote: »
    I dont get the laptop part.. Do you get a laptop if you are accepted through HEAR?

In some colleges, yes. They are all different. They will explain all at the orientation days.

spurious wrote: »

I honestly only thought hear was for points thanks for clearing this up i could do with assistance in college , didn't mean to sound ungrateful i was genuinely unaware

The orientation also helps HEAR students bond as a group. You will all know each other before you join the others. There is no need for anyone to know you are there through HEAR, but you will be able to avail of help in the first few months when people are finding their feet as regards standards needed in assignments etc..

It's really worth taking every opportunity. You will meet people at college who don't go to classes, skip off tutorials, hand in stuff late and yes, they might be happy to bump along the bottom of the class, but believe me it is worth it to not be one of those people.

Get to know people in the years ahead of you. They are the ones who hopefully will have jobs in 3 or 4 years time and will be hearing of vacancies in their companies etc.

College is ALL about the contacts you make and opportunities you take. Don't forget J1 visas and Erasmus years. How I wish I was doing it all again.

Advertisement