Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert 2015

Options
  • 18-08-2014 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys im studying for my leaving cert this (sept 2014 - June 2015). Im doing the following subjects:
    IRISH (O)
    ENGLISH (H)
    GEOGRAPHY (H)
    MATHS (O)
    HISTORY (O)
    TECH GRAPHICS (O)
    BUSINESS (O)

This year i need to decide re college courses. Just wondering if anyone else is doing my subjects. Hard to think re options.
    Im only 16 so hard trying to decide re college courses. I like art as an out of school subject as my school doesnt do it.
    Just looking re ideas from anyone.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

It's hard to give you options for a course when you never really said what you're interested in and what subjects you do well in. I know theres the whole reach for the stars thing but you should seriously move art to the side and consider something that will get you a job at the end. You can always go back and do art courses later in life and move on from there but if you do one now after leaving school.. Chances are you will just end up working a minimum wage job or on the dole. But hey if you feel you got what it takes to make it as an artist shoot for the stars I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mcd16

Hi yes sorry im good at history, geography pretty much all my subjects. I was thinkin maybe of leaving art as a hobby. I was just wondering if anyone else was doing these subjects. Yesterday I was looking at the courses in colleges. I dont want to be on the dole and I will only be 17 when leave school. I will be asking my career guidance when return to school re courses but just said I ask here first re ideas.
    Thank you for replying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You really need to work out where your interests/preferences lie.

Would you be interested in a career that involved mainly outdoor work? Yes/No
    Office work? Yes/No
    Dealing with people?Yes/No

They are very basic examples, but find an online careers aptitude and interest test and see what it throws up. It might give you some idea of courses to consider.

Thank you ive tried careers portal im interested in working with other people.I would like to maybe go down the Media Studies route.But just curious re other options as my subjects are a bit scattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

Sorry if I sounded harsh about the Art thing but I know people who have done that and it hasn't worked out for them at all. I would agree with spurious to go and take the aptitude test on careersportal.ie and see what it throws up

• Advertisement

Hey Yall wrote: »
    Sorry if I sounded harsh about the Art thing but I know people who have done that and it hasn't worked out for them at all. I would agree with spurious to go and take the aptitude test on careersportal.ie and see what it throws up

Hi no your fine my parents said same thing to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could always incorporate your love of Art into a career. There are lots of careers where an artistic flair would help.

spurious wrote: »
    You could always incorporate your love of Art into a career. There are lots of careers where an artistic flair would help.

Thank you yes I was looking at art and media connected courses. I will continue with my art Ive trieed the career portal but wasnt options I was hoping for.
    Thank You thought.

Advertisement