Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths needed in software development

Options
  • 18-08-2014 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I have been offered software development and I am wondering how hard the maths involved in is. I am pretty bad at algebra and got a C3 in ordinary for my results when I thought I would fail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

I don't know anything about software development and what's involved, but some colleges allow you to view past exam papers online. Here's an "IT Mathematics" exam paper from DCU Computational Problem solving and Software development course - https://www.dcu.ie/internal/examinations/2014/14MS121.pdf

Here's the rest of the modules: http://www.dcu.ie/registry/module_contents.php?function=4&programme=PSSD
    Click a module and then click "Online module resources" and then "Exam papers"

Edit: for some reason that only shows Year 1 modules so maybe it's a new course or you don't do exams for the rest of the years or maybe you choose a specialty after year 1, you get the idea though.

Edit : also forgot to mention, don't take a look at these papers and decide the maths is too hard for you (its way above LC standard), it will come to you when you actually start learning it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have been offered software development and I am wondering how hard the maths involved in is. I am pretty bad at algebra and got a C3 in ordinary for my results when I thought I would fail.

In real-life programming I'd use very little maths but in college I struggled with the statistics module even though I had a C3 in honours maths in the leaving.
    I wouldn't let it put you off, but it might require more work while in college.

Advertisement