Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO help

Options
  • 18-08-2014 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi folks, I always had it in my head that I'd be offered Arts in maynooth and that I'd never get near my first choice (journalism in dit) I got 360 in the leaving but was told to get English (D2) rechecked. I felt the exam went superbly and I reckon I got a B1, today I was offered arts and I accepted it but my first choice went down to 395, which, if It turns out i got 395, I'd be accepted, I'm getting it rechecked nest Friday, so what I'm asking is, if I did turn out to get 395, will DIT offer me a place this year or will I need to wait till next year to start college there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It depends. If your points go up to 395 you will be offered a place anyway. If the course is full, they will offer you a place for 2015. If they can fit you in because someone has dropped out, they will.

I would stress though, that without a major mistake in addition on your exam paper, it is unlikely that you would jump from D2 to B1 in any subject, let alone English.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Minigocko

It depends. If your points go up to 395 you will be offered a place anyway. If the course is full, they will offer you a place for 2015. If they can fit you in because someone has dropped out, they will.

I would stress though, that without a major mistake in addition on your exam paper, it is unlikely that you would jump from D2 to B1 in any subject, let alone English.

It's an error, definitely an error, I'm going into town to get it rechecked with my teacher next Friday, I've never gotten lower than a B2 in any English exam, and the leaving cert exam went brilliantly, the colleges think I've gotten 360, but I really feel it'll be pushed up to 390-395, what happens, I'm just so confused

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Minigocko wrote: »
    It's an error, definitely an error, I'm going into town to get it rechecked with my teacher next Friday, I've never gotten lower than a B2 in any English exam, and the leaving cert exam went brilliantly, the colleges think I've gotten 360, but I really feel it'll be pushed up to 390-395, what happens, I'm just so confused

If it is an error where the marks have been added up wrong, or if it clearly shows the marks for a B, then it was entered wrong at the SEC. There is a form where that can be fixed easily.

However if it was graded D2 and you and your teacher think your paper is worth more based on the marking scheme, then you send it back through the appeals process. It will be remarked and you will receive your grade in mid October. If you grade changes you will be refunded the €40 charge. Grade changes from appeals are forwarded to the CAO, if it brings your points up so much that you would have been offered a place in a course higher up your list you will then receive a new offer from the CAO which you can accept or reject.

However you may receive a grade change (say D2 to B3) which will leave you short of DIT and you will not receive a new offer.

Advertisement