Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making a drawer for table help

Options
  • 17-08-2014 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

Currently doing a little project of turning an old hall table into a dressing table for the woman,

She wants a drawer for her nick nacks and so on. So what would be the best way to tackle this, I was going to cut out a rectangle and make the drawer from that but I'm wondering how to get that perfect cut so the drawer will be flush

Pics below

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

How about you don't cut a hole and just hang a drawer below that panel in some fashion, the whole width between the legs

edit: or remove the whole front, to be the drawer front

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

It would be pretty essential to use the cutout as the drawer front just to blend in the drawer.
    The best way would be to take off the top to get access, mark out the drawer and cut it out keeping inside the pencil lines. Then make a router template to the finished size and rout the recess cleanly. ( The front looks curved in the photo - if so use 4mm ply as the template ) Square up the rounded corners with a sharp chisel.
    Having cleaned up the drawer front you will have lost about 5 -6 mm all round so you will need to beef up the front using a shim- this can be a skilfully stained piece or consider 'cock beading' - a kind of hockey stick moulding.
    I'm assuming there is no obstruction under the top to prevent fitting a drawer. Lastly , all drawers work best as long rectangles - don't be tempted to make a very wide drawer.

Advertisement