Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Arts Subject ?

Options
  • 17-08-2014 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

So I'm going to do arts at u.c.c next month . But I'm not sure what subject I should take.
    I have narrowed it down to G1 History G2 EU studies G3 Politics or German (never did it in school) G4 sociology ?G5 Economics G6b philosophy(I heard it was easy)?
    Oh and I should mention and I have a learning difficulty
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

I've just finished my degree in Sociology and I did Philosophy and Politics in 1st year.

Philosophy is easy if you go to the lectures and do the work. From what I remember it's all continuous assesment so all you have to do is show up to the lectures and the tutorials (Tutorials are part of the marks in 1st year), sit the MCQ's (obviously pass them!) and you'll be fine. Problem with Philosophy is, you either love it or hate it. Do some background reading in Philosophy and see if it is for you. Go have a look at the first year Philosophy module on the Book of Modules and see if you like the material. Or have a look on the Philosophy dept website and it will give you an outline of last years course.

Sociology module in 1st year is again easy, if you do the work. Some of the material is very similar to Philosophy. Other parts are more reality based if that makes sense. The Sociology dept website have last years course outline on their website so have a look at that and see if it interests you. The dept are very good though, couldn't recommend them enough! They are very helpful and will do what they can for you. Overall, it is an interesting subject and has quite a lot of interesting topics you can study.

Same goes again for Politics. Depends on what you are interested in and having a look at the book of modules and the dept website will give you more information. The dept are good though, and Politics has a lot of links with Philosophy and History.

It just depends on what you think you want to do in 2nd year and 3rd year. All three of those subjects interlink quite a lot as you go further into your degree. But I would do some background reading into all the subjects you are considering and see if you have an interest in them. But don't go into college with the attitude ''I'll pick this cos it's easy and I won't have to do a tap in 1st year'' :P. To pass all of these subjects you will have to work and put in the effort to pass.

Good luck with tomorrow and if there is anything else you want to ask, fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Anybody know anything about European Studies? I only want to do it for the first year and it seems interesting enough...

I'm definitely going to chpose French, beginner's Spanish and English.

Does anybody have information European Studies? I was thinking of doing it for first year only just because it seems quite interesting. I have decided on doing English, French and beginners Spanish anyway.

Also, another question while we're here. My friend rang in about the difference between Arts International and regular Arts and apparently the only difference is that if you do an Erasmus with regular Arts, it isn't included in the degree. So does anybody know if you can definitely go abroad with it? Arts international was my number 1 choice, but I only got 420. :rolleyes:

edit: Also (sorry), we do have to be quick choosing our subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

rorrissey wrote: »
    Anybody know anything about European Studies? I only want to do it for the first year and it seems interesting enough...

I'm definitely going to chpose French, beginner's Spanish and English.

Does anybody have information European Studies? I was thinking of doing it for first year only just because it seems quite interesting. I have decided on doing English, French and beginners Spanish anyway.

Also, another question while we're here. My friend rang in about the difference between Arts International and regular Arts and apparently the only difference is that if you do an Erasmus with regular Arts, it isn't included in the degree. So does anybody know if you can definitely go abroad with it? Arts international was my number 1 choice, but I only got 420. :rolleyes:

edit: Also (sorry), we do have to be quick choosing our subjects?
    Put english as your number one choice on your subject options, it fills up quickly!

Advertisement