Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genealogy Software

Options
  • 17-08-2014 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I came across this site with reviews of Genealogy software:

http://genealogy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

The one that comes out on top is Legacy. Has anyone used it? This is what they say:

Pros
    Legacy offers many helpful features for novice genealogists like reports that track where your ancestors settled through the years.

Cons
    You might find that some of the sourcing and research features seem oversimplified.

The Verdict: 9.85/10

Legacy helps you organize generations of family history. Mapping reports and an array of charts help you visualize your family line and share your research.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I have always used the runner-up, Family Tree Maker – by default, the initial version I purchased was back in 1995 when there were few other options. Before that I had my own ‘design’ on Excel and before that paper. I’ve had to buy two upgrades (the first when they did a major upgrade and the older versions were not compatible, the second very recently when I could not transfer over the program when I bought a new laptop and had to re-install.
    TBH I probably use less than half the FTM functions, mainly because they were later introductions and I’ve saved the data in another way. (Or perhaps more honestly I have not bothered to try to understand/learn them.) A friend uses ‘My Heritage’, I have access to the online version of her tree and find it OK but prefer my FTM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I suppose its what you are used to using really. I want to get my tree onto paper over the next few months to give to a few elderly family members with fading eyesight who don't like looking at it on the computer. I was wondering if any software would print out my tree in large print. I quite like my attempt at using Excel but it is getting out of hand now and am having to separate the families in order to keep using Excel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I guess print size is variable on all, it certainly is on FTM. The biggest issue is where to get a printer & paper large enough to have all on one page . Were I to try to print mine I'd need a commercial billboard printer and a large wall to pin the sheet on.
    FTM has a function whereby you can print a Pedigree Chart on A4 in 'portrait', limit the number of generatuions per page(e.g. person, parents, grandparents) and a number appears after the individuals on the right hand side, referring you to the page on which that line is continued. Then you can read it like a book, skipping to the appropriate page.
    The basic (free) version of FTM might have that facility, I think its their 'bells and whistles' stuff that is included in the paying version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Today I started a practice sheet by hand on some graph paper in pencil because I still have blanks I need to fill in and that means changes later on. I also set up an Excel page exactly as my graph paper, making the cells small to see how that goes. It looks like I'll be busy for quite a while. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 John P. Mac

I have been using Legacy for several years and like it very much. The basic version is free to download. The Deluxe edition has extra features and costs about 30 dollars. No annual fee. Reports are easy to produce and can be tailored to the particular needs. You can also put in "Private" notes that need not appear in reports. Very easy to add new people or edit / update relationships. Definitely worth looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭cobham

I have used FTM for many years. I recently got the latest version but I think I prefer the older one as so familiar with its format. I dont see any advantage to me in the 2012 version. Now my problem is that I have several laptops that get used in turn (eg one small thing for travel, another over heats but is good etc ) and I am tempted to put info into them and forget to update all.

I think what would work well would be to have a tree 'in the cloud' to be accessed from whatever device I fancied including a smartphone. Ancestry have this facility but for subscription members only. I dont like the idea of posting my full tree with all the notes etc into a public forum and one such as Ancestry. Though I know you can mark the tree as 'private'. I like the idea of a section within your notes staying 'private'. I have a young relative who wants me to GED file my tree to him but I resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

I keep my family tree file (I use Reunion, but it's a Mac only program) in a non shared folder in drop box - that way, it's in the cloud so I can update it on any of my laptops/computers and it's not open to the public in the way it would be on Ancestry/MyHeritage/other websites...

Hope this helps...

Advertisement