Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a NAS - Will this suffice?

Options
  • 17-08-2014 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi

I am trying to build a NAS for myself but unfortunately my knowledge isn't as good as it could be so I wonder would anyone take a look over the parts below and see if they will do what I want them to do?? Are they over or under spec'd anywhere?

What I am hoping to achieve is:

Network Storage (approx 1.75TB) - Using FreeNAS
    Cloud Server (approx 0.25TB) - Using ownCloud
    Media Server (approx 2TB) - Using Plex

Is this achievable with the kit outlined below?

Motherboard - ASUS H97M-E, Sockel 1150, mATX
    CPU - Intel Pentium G3240 in-a-Box
    RAM - 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9
    HDD - WD Red RD1000S 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB x 2 - These drives will be for storage, setup in RAID1 so I have a mirrored copy. There are 4 bays in the case and 4 SATA ports on the MOBO so I believe I can upgrade to an additional two 4TB drives in the future if required??
    SSD - SanDisk ReadyCache SSD 32GB 6,4cm (2,5") - Hoping to run OS only on this
    PSU - XFX PRO450W Core Edition Full Wired Power Supply
    Case - Thermaltake V4 Black Edition ohne Netzteil - This only has USB 2.0 ports so I would prefer to get a case with 3.0 ports if anyone can recommend a similar sized/spec'd one?? Doesnt really matter anyway as I wont be using the ports much I would imagine!

I'm not even sure if all this stuff is even compatible with each other but from going through specs I'm hoping it is!!

The total is €620 delivered including HDD's. I can buy the Synology DS214Play and 2 x 4TB HDD's which should do all of what I am looking for above as well and it's about €620 delivered. I'm wondering would I be better off just doing that instead? I know my build should be higher spec'd and its' upgradeable but I'm not sure I will need more storage anytime soon.

So what do you think? Am I on the right track? What would you do if you were me? Can someone spec some kit for me where there would be a significant saving over the Synology that will do what I am looking for?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

CinSoots wrote: »
    Hi

I am trying to build a NAS for myself but unfortunately my knowledge isn't as good as it could be so I wonder would anyone take a look over the parts below and see if they will do what I want them to do?? Are they over or under spec'd anywhere?

What I am hoping to achieve is:

Network Storage (approx 1.75TB) - Using FreeNAS
    Cloud Server (approx 0.25TB) - Using ownCloud
    Media Server (approx 2TB) - Using Plex

Is this achievable with the kit outlined below?

Motherboard - ASUS H97M-E, Sockel 1150, mATX
    CPU - Intel Pentium G3240 in-a-Box
    RAM - 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9
    HDD - WD Red RD1000S 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB x 2 - These drives will be for storage, setup in RAID1 so I have a mirrored copy. There are 4 bays in the case and 4 SATA ports on the MOBO so I believe I can upgrade to an additional two 4TB drives in the future if required??
    SSD - SanDisk ReadyCache SSD 32GB 6,4cm (2,5") - Hoping to run OS only on this
    PSU - XFX PRO450W Core Edition Full Wired Power Supply
    Case - Thermaltake V4 Black Edition ohne Netzteil - This only has USB 2.0 ports so I would prefer to get a case with 3.0 ports if anyone can recommend a similar sized/spec'd one?? Doesnt really matter anyway as I wont be using the ports much I would imagine!

I'm not even sure if all this stuff is even compatible with each other but from going through specs I'm hoping it is!!

The total is €620 delivered including HDD's. I can buy the Synology DS214Play and 2 x 4TB HDD's which should do all of what I am looking for above as well and it's about €620 delivered. I'm wondering would I be better off just doing that instead? I know my build should be higher spec'd and its' upgradeable but I'm not sure I will need more storage anytime soon.

So what do you think? Am I on the right track? What would you do if you were me? Can someone spec some kit for me where there would be a significant saving over the Synology that will do what I am looking for?

Thanks for your help.

If you're using this as a NAS then it might be worth sourcing a different case with a USB3 front panel for faster transfers without having to get at the back panel. You might consider one of the cooler master range (eg 120).

If your MB has 4 sata ports then presumably you will be using 3 of those from the start (2 for the WD reds and another for the SSD) - unless you're also installing a SATA controller?

The synology ds214se is very capable on its own, even for installing Plex, but at this time it cannot handle transcoding media, even though Synology's own app can. I have the cheaper ds214se running as a pure NAS and it is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What about building a smaller system? A mitx should be fine.
    The AM1 AMD systems are very low power consumption and are cheap.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/DDR3/164232/ASRock+AM1H-ITX%2C+AM1%2C+ITX.article
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/Sockel+AM1/157297/AMD+Athlon+5150%2C+Boxed%2C+Sockel+AM1%2C+TDP+25W.article

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

people who build their own NAS's (including me) are people who've never owned a Synology NAS. ;)

I've bought another NAS previously (a 7 bay thecus) and was so disappointed in it that when it came time to upgrade (after years of that same disappointment over and over again at trying to get ti to do pretty much anything other than be a basic file server) I decided to build my own 8 bay freeNAS box.

It was a big learning experience, but there was a lot of the same disappointments trying to get it to perform the way I wanted to, so when it came time to upgrade again, I went for a 12 bay synology after seeing someone's 2 bay walk all over both my previous NAS's in just about every respect.

And it's freaking awesome. EVERYTHING about it. :)

my only criticism of synology is that they didn't jump down my throat and sell me one before i wasted valuable time, effort and a lot of money trying to get other NAS's to do what synology NAS's do effortlessly out of the box.
    Network Storage (approx 1.75TB) - Using FreeNAS Synology piss all over freeNAS in both performance and features.
    Cloud Server (approx 0.25TB) - Using ownCloud Synology have it built in and have apps that will plug in to most existing cloud services like dropbox etc.
    Media Server (approx 2TB) - Using Plex Synology has a built in media server that works pretty well, but there are also builds of plex for it too.

Almost a year with it now and I wouldn't be happier and know several people with them and everyone so far that i've spoken to feels the same. :)

also, whenever this one gets too long in the tooth, i'll be buying another, newer synology NAS, which is the first time I've ever stuck with the same company. :)

its got a great download client and there's a plugin for chrome that works locally and remotely over the web to send all your downloads directly to the NAS that works with pretty much everything from youtube vids to torrents and most filesharing services, so it's as easy as just right clicking on whatever you want in the browser and off it goes. :)

I also love how easy it is to set up simple file sharing with other people (literally 2 clicks and it's done) or configure extra users to give them 24/7 access to your stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

vibe666 wrote: »
    Lots of good info.............

This is what I was thinking. Is the better spec and upgradeability or lower cost for a smaller build worth the headache of setting up FreeNAS and ownCloud when it's a one click operation with the Synology.

As far as I was aware the DS214Play is able to transcode also, isn't it?? I shouldnt really need transcoding anyway as all the op devices are 1080p playable and all my media is at 720p!!

I think I will go down the Synology route after all. I dont think the financial saving will justify the time required to build and set it up to be honest. Thanks for your help too.

I spent ages trying to get freenas to do less than half of the basic stuff that synology NAS's do out of the box, it's just not worth the hassle unless you really do love banging your head against a wall.

i've never once looked back and i've never once wished that the synology did anything as good as either of my other NAS's as it does EVERYTHING (and more) better. :)

and yes, it does transcoding. :)

it might not make a difference to you now, but it will if you ever decide to go for another media player as you'll be able to spend a lot less on one as you won't need to worry about whether or not it will play back x, y, z videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Just to play devil's advocate here, FreeNAS isn't the only option for a NAS.

I run Windows 7 on my server, and FlexRAID on top of that. I have mine set to Snapshot RAID 5, which is basically the same as regular RAID 5, except for two differences:

1) It's done on the file level, not block, so it means everything is still readable if a drive crashes. You only lose information on the failed drive.
    2) The parity drive isn't calculated in real time. It's done once a day. You lose real-time protection, but you also don't need the resource overhead that you otherwise would.

And because the server is Win7, I can do anything I like on it just fine, and it's all familiar, etc.

and you *could* go down the HP microserver route which might save a few pennies. room for 4 data drives (plus an extra SSD) and would work out cheaper overall with the same amount of disks and memory, plus there's a big enthusiast movement here on boards.ie. :)

To expand on my last post, this is how I went about building my own solution for my Plex, ripping, sickbeard, etc needs.

I had been using a Synology CS407e for years as a pure file server, and an old laptop as a Plex server / media ripper, and for running sickbeard and the like. Both are now ancient by computer standards and were increasingly slow (file transfers / ripping / transcoding).

So after a bit of research I got myself a Synology DS214se (cheap as chips and Just Works, like the old Synology) with 2 x WD Red drives, but I also went ahead and built a compact mITX server running Windows with a nice Intel i3 chip for super fast transcoding (Plex) and encoding (ripping). The old Synology still serves for archiving purposes. The Synology looks after the storage aspect and the mini server looks after everything else. It didn't work out too pricey and I'm pretty happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Caved and bought the Synology DS214Play and 2 x 4TB HDD's for 600. Should be delivered by the end of the week so will see how it goes then. Thanks for your help

Caved and bought the Synology DS214Play and 2 x 4TB HDD's for 600. Should be delivered by the end of the week so will see how it goes then. Thanks for your help

Woop Woop! :D

You won't regret it. :)

• Advertisement

Don't forget all the fun things you can install on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Even better deal for this from Amazon.co.uk £120
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-ReadyNAS-Network-Attached-Storage/dp/B00BJ1BGB6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410614939

Got an email from Dabs.ie this morning listing this Netgear 4 bay diskless NAS for €240
    Specifications

ReadyNAS 104
    CPU Marvell® Armada 370 1.2GHz
    Memory 512MB
    Drive Bays 4
    Drive Types Supported SATA/SSD 2.5" or 3.5"
    Hot Swappable Drives Yes
    Tool-less 3.5" Disk Installation Yes
    eSATA Expansion Ports 1
    Total Solution Capacity Internal 16TB
    Gigabit LAN Ports 2
    USB Ports One (1) USB 2.0, Two (2) USB 3.0
    Power Supply 12V, 7A External 90W; input 100-240V AC, 50-60Hz
    BTU at Full Power Supply Utilization 47W
    Power Consumption: Operation 45.6W
    Power Consumption (Wake on LAN) 1.4W
    Power Consumption: Power Off 440mW
    Chassis Warranty* 3 years
    2-Line LCD Display Yes
    Fan (mm) 92
    Dimensions DxWxH (mm) 223 x 134 x 205
    Weight (kg) 4.7

There's a ink to a bundle containing a free 'WD 1TB Red SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 3.5" Hard Drive' towards the bottom of that page.

Seems like a nice unit.

Advertisement