Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can't get college course what to do?

Options
  • 17-08-2014 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi :)
    I had really wanted to do nursing after the leaving cert. Although I didn't get enough points for general nursing I have enough for psychiatric nursing in my home town. The only problem is that when I was filling my cao for the change of mind my boyfriend persuaded me to put other courses I wasn't too sure of before the nursing course in my home town. I never thought I'd have enough points for psychiatric nursing but on the day of the results I was gutted that I could have been a nurse. I'm at a loose end here because I don't want to accept the course I know I'm going to be offered. I want to become a nurse and I don't know if I should talk to the college to see if they can help or if I should just do a plc and reapply next year. I also feel so angry and upset with my boyfriend for influencing my decision about my future. Any ideas on what to do next?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you don't have the points for the courses above your psychiatric nursing one, you can still get it.
    If you have the points for one of them, you will get that course.

A lesson learned about letting someone else influence your decisions. I hope it works out for you. Is it an option is to repeat and fill out the CAO properly next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ciara.8831

spurious wrote: »
    If you don't have the points for the courses above your psychiatric nursing one, you can still get it.
    If you have the points for one of them, you will get that course.

A lesson learned about letting someone else influence your decisions. I hope it works out for you. Is it an option is to repeat and fill out the CAO properly next time?

The course I put before psychiatric nursing had lower points and was higher up on my cao so because of this, the cao will only offer me the highest course on my list for which I am eligible for. I don't want to repeat the leaving cert but I think I am able to reapply next year to the cao. I really think the cao should offer people all the courses on their list that they are eligible for instead of just the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

The only thing you can do wait and hope you get an offer in the second or third round. DONT accept psychiatric nursing of its not what you want to do because you will only drop out if you dont truly want it. I got in to nursing this year as a mature student but last year I dont the FETAC level 5 in pre nursing studies and applied through UCAS for a place in the UK. That is another option for you, plus you would be finished in 3 years as opposed to 4 and the NHS pays for fees. Something to think about. All is not lost yet if you haven't got enough points you dont necessarily have to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Idek

Hey don worry I'm in the same position with nursing , pm me if you need to vent, we're in the same boat

same advice applies to you IDEK. You should definitely do the fetac nursing studies and apply to the uk, more opportunities over there aswell. Dont worry if its meant for you it wont pass by you

• Advertisement

Thanks I already had a plc since about March so iv been preparing for the chance I didn't get an offer (thank god I did) ucas seems like a great opportunity ATM for me, thanks for the advice it's much appreciated

no problem I know what its like. I got in this year as a mature student but I applied through UCAS last year but got rejected because I didnt have a C grade in maths. You need to do a personal statement and a tip for this is talk about the experience you have, they love to hear of students doing voluntary work or working in a healthcare environment this will really boost your application. Best of luck and you never know you could be lucky in the second round

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    no problem I know what its like. I got in this year as a mature student but I applied through UCAS last year but got rejected because I didnt have a C grade in maths. You need to do a personal statement and a tip for this is talk about the experience you have, they love to hear of students doing voluntary work or working in a healthcare environment this will really boost your application. Best of luck and you never know you could be lucky in the second round

How do you go about applying to ucas from a pre nursing course? I think its a good option for me. Are they strict on requirements?

Hey Ciara
    I dont believe they are that strict as long as you have the minimum entry requirements outlined by the Uni. you should take a look at a few uni's over there, I know a few that got in to London south bank university and Angela Ruskin. As regards the personal statement I cant emphasise enough to talk about any experience you have. If you are working in healthcare or can get work experience once a week somewhere or even charity volunteering it would look brilliant. Also talk about the skills and qualities you have and how they can be transferred to nursing. Another excellent website that is a great help is studentroom.co.uk. the give loads of advice on personal statements, courses etc. If you have the minimum entry requirements and they like your personal statement they will ask you to go over then for an interview and will decide then. Totally difference to the Irish system. Best of luck, if you need any more help or advice let me know

ciara.8831 wrote: »
    How do you go about applying to ucas from a pre nursing course? I think its a good option for me. Are they strict on requirements?

Hey I was on the phone to my career guidance today , as mentioned I'm in the same position as you but anyway you need to get distinctions (a's) in practically everything it will be difficult but will be worth it , uk colleges love irish students with fetac level 5 as there is a low drop out rate from students who have fetac 5 :)

• Advertisement

Idek wrote: »
    Hey I was on the phone to my career guidance today , as mentioned I'm in the same position as you but anyway you need to get distinctions (a's) in practically everything it will be difficult but will be worth it , uk colleges love irish students with fetac level 5 as there is a low drop out rate from students who have fetac 5 :)

I applied for a plc course in nursing studies today so I have to wait and see if I get a place, and I was told that since I've done the leaving cert I should have no problem with getting on with the course because I'm just out of education. I've heard of the clearing process on Ucas so I've had a look and they've lots of nursing places still available. I don't know if I can apply for a course on the clearing list seeing as I hadn't applied last year. Its good feeling like we have options :p

Advertisement