Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VISTA installation probems

Options
  • 17-08-2014 4:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop.Its about 6 years old.
    A few days ago I attempted to install Windows Vista on my laptop via CD.Unfortunately I have since encountered some problems.
    My desktop has completely changed;all of the icons that were there are gone.I cant find any of the stuff I had stored on my computer,photos files etc. and I fear I may have lost them for good.
    Id like to hear from anyone else who may have encountered a problem like this.I really would like to be able to salvage my data.Would it be possible to restore my laptop to its previous state?Anyone who can answer those questions or who has experienced something like this please respond.
    Any additional information you require please ask and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭Tow

You have now learned what reinstalling an operating system does.
    You can restore your data from your backups...

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭vgv

Tow wrote: »
    You have now learned what reinstalling an operating system does.
    You can restore your data from your backups...

Thanks for replying and could you be more specific about how I would go about doing that.
    My knowledge of computers/laptops is very limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I think the previous poster was being a little sarcastic. You probably don't have backups (i.e. a copy of your important data in another location - ext disk/cloud). You may be in luck, however, depending on how you installed the new OS. If you didn't format the drive, there may be the original user profile folders (including desktops and documents) within C:\Users. Have a look with Windows Explorer. Failing that, try data recovery software like Recuva, Photorec, GetDataBack, etc. Find and download these on another computer, and install somewhere other than C:. Don't create any new files on C:, this will reduce your chances. If you find anything with such software, copy it to somewhere other than C:, for similar reasons. E.g. a flash drive/ext disk.

Let this be a valuable learning experience for you, and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Heres a link to the microsoft site about your issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932912

Basically what you're looking for should be in folder called windows.old that the reinstall automatically created (if you're lucky).
    A reinstall is like a nuclear bomb - only to be used rarely and wisely but the people at Microsoft did build in a few fail-safes for what happened to you.

Advertisement