Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Publication of Round One Points

Options
  • 17-08-2014 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hello! I was just wondering if anyone knows if the Round One points go online at exactly 6am or is there often a delay? Also, has the CAO website been prone to crashing at this time in previous years due to the high number of people trying to log in or has it been reliable? Thank you for reading!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It can crash (think the last time it did was 2010?) but it's nearly always very short term.

I accepted my offer at 6:01AM, after staying up all night on boards almost three years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Is this on the CAO website? Monday morning at 6am?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yes, at 6.

It didn't crash last year, but it can get very slow and unresponsive between say 6 and 6.10 due to the absolute barrage of people trying to log in. It clears relatively quickly though (even though it may not seem like that at the time! :))

Edit: Yes, Damo, that's what he said! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mcd2812

Thanks for the replies, partyatmygaff and randylonghorn, hopefully things will go smoothly this year :D I imagine many of us won't be getting much sleep tomorrow night waiting for them to be published :P

Mcd2812 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, partyatmygaff and randylonghorn, hopefully things will go smoothly this year :D I imagine many of us won't be getting much sleep tomorrow night waiting for them to be published :P
    Lol, there's usually a "Waiting for Godot the offers!" chat thread here, you may as well join us if you're awake and driving yourself cracked!

That said, if you can manage to fall asleep and wake up in the morning and log in then, you'll save yourself a lot of nail-biting! :p:D

• Advertisement

Hahaha, I definitely will! That would certainly be a better way of doing things but I'm not very hopeful of that happening :P It'll only be 2 hours longer than now though which doesn't seem too long :P

You're not taking into account the tendency of time to move more slowly in direct proportion to your desire for it to move more quickly! ;)

Hahaha that's true ;) If there's enough of us awake, hopefully coming on here will make it go that bit quicker :P

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

Do they release this years points at some stage today or am I imagining things?? I was pretty sure I saw something like that happening last year :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

^^ I think what you mean is the leaked points from the newspapers . Yes this usually happens at some stage.

I have the grads to go to next week so I don't want to kill myself with an all nighter . I'll probably stay up till around 2ish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The staying up reminds me of the people who queue to get on Ryanair flights.

There is no need. The points at 6am will be the same at 10am. Your offer at 6am will still be there at 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ya no need to set your alarm to go off at 6. Leave it switched off. If you wake early fair enough log on and see what you've been offered. If you sleep later your offer will still be there when you wake

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I don't get why people are staying up all night. I was out on the town last night and only got in at 5am. I will probably crawl out of bed at around midday tomorrow and accept my offer.

Am I a dry sh*te or is it just that I'm a bit older than most people here?

I'm also still a little drunk? :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Lol, there's usually a "Waiting for Godot the offers!" chat thread here, you may as well join us if you're awake and driving yourself cracked!

That said, if you can manage to fall asleep and wake up in the morning and log in then, you'll save yourself a lot of nail-biting! :p:D

We wait. We are bored. No, don't protest. We are bored to death, there's no denying it. Good. A diversion comes along and what do we do? We let it go to waste. In an instant all will vanish and we'll be alone once more, in the midst of nothingness.

:pac:

I agree that staying up late for the release of the points doesn't make sense if you're normally someone who goes to sleep early. In my own case though, I often stay awake 'til around 4-5am anyway so my rationale is, what's one more hour? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

I have literally no reason to wait in earnest of the offers tomorrow so I plan on getting a solid nights sleep and waking up, accepting my place in UCD and heading off to work :pac:

Is it just offers that we'll see at 6am or does the entire list of 2014 points go up at that time too?

I imagine the points go up too. They are published in the papers tomorrow, which is where the leaks will come from later tonight so it would suggest they will also be on the CAO website.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Mcd2812 wrote: »
    Is it just offers that we'll see at 6am or does the entire list of 2014 points go up at that time too?

The points would be on tomorrow's papers which come out a few hours earlier than the offers. That's why most people stay up. Some people go to the shops and buy the newspaper to find out the points for their course that year. And they often take pictures and post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭RedMickeyMouse

I'll be in work till twelve or one so hopefully ye're still going by then! :P Sh*tting myself doesn't cover it, and this is my second time waiting for a CAO offer! DO NOT put yourself through it twice if it can be helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

I imagine the points go up too. They are published in the papers tomorrow, which is where the leaks will come from later tonight so it would suggest they will also be on the CAO website.

Any idea what newspapers we're talking about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I saw on twitter that we also get a text at 6am informing us of our offers. Can anyone confirm if this is true? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

BauBau19 wrote: »
    Any idea what newspapers we're talking about ?

The Irish Times and Independent both publish the CAO points list. So if anybody can get there hands on a copy around 2/3ish in the morning - take a pic and post here so everyone up all night can finally relax and get a good night mornings sleep.

Thanks for the replies! Would be great if someone managed to get hold of a newspaper earlier in the night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Teachack

They are usually dropped off and left outside the shops alone in the packaging from about 1 am onwards..... just saying :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    I saw on twitter that we also get a text at 6am informing us of our offers. Can anyone confirm if this is true? Thanks :)

The CAO can text you your offer, when I accepted my course I didn't get the text until 9am but my offer was there from 6am.

Texts usually come later.

Even if they're sent out earlier, the huge bulk normally screws up the mobile providers' networks. Don't rely on them for info, or you will be in a panic because your friend got a text and you didn't! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Texts usually come later.

Even if they're sent out earlier, the huge bulk normally screws up the mobile providers' networks. Don't rely on them for info, or you will be in a panic because your friend got a text and you didn't! ;)

You any good at stealing news papers randy ? You must have got that mod title for something :P

I'll be in work till twelve or one so hopefully ye're still going by then! :P Sh*tting myself doesn't cover it, and this is my second time waiting for a CAO offer! DO NOT put yourself through it twice if it can be helped.

Now that you've said that, everyone else on the thread is going to be hitting F5 like crazy come 1am and talking to their computer going 'Damn RedMickeyMouse, he said he'd put the results up' He's at work, he can get us a paper! :pac:

• Advertisement

Eh? Did Mickey say he had access to the papers?

I thought he just meant he would be joining the "waiting for Godot offers" thread.

Won't be out that early anyway I'd say.

And nope, Eoghan, I got the mod title for my ability to (just about) resist murdering people who don't read the CAO handbook! ;)

Advertisement