Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice appreciated, would repeating be the best option for me?

Options
  • 16-08-2014 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

For years my heart has been set on medicine but right now I don't think I stand a chance. I was heartbroken when I got my HPAT results of 150 and last Wednesday I got 550 points.

I know there is no hope for me this year but what I want to ask is do you think I could get a place in medicine with 550 points of a LC next year and just repeat the HPAT or would it be wiser to repeat everything?

I apologise for the lack of detail in this post, my eyelids are shutting I'm so tired... I just wanted to post this before I go to sleep because I can't stop thinking about it.

Thank you so much to anyone who takes the time to read this and reply, I really appreciate your kindness.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

As far as I know any more points above 550 are only worth 1 point for every five?

If I were you I'd go to college for the year, repeat the HPAT, and if you have no luck at least you haven't wasted a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

For years my heart has been set on medicine but right now I don't think I stand a chance. I was heartbroken when I got my HPAT results of 150 and last Wednesday I got 550 points.

I know there is no hope for me this year but what I want to ask is do you think I could get a place in medicine with 550 points of a LC next year and just repeat the HPAT or would it be wiser to repeat everything?

I apologise for the lack of detail in this post, my eyelids are shutting I'm so tired... I just wanted to post this before I go to sleep because I can't stop thinking about it.

Thank you so much to anyone who takes the time to read this and reply, I really appreciate your kindness.

You could try see if you'll be let in with 550

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shakywaky

Hi, first of all try not to be too upset or negative about it all because if medicine is meant to be for you than it will happen for you :)

Secondly, I would strongly advise you not to repeat the LC. It is an enormously stressful ordeal and I don't think it is worth going through all that again, especially seeing as you got a brilliant result! Congrats btw :D

I would advise you to repeat the hpat. Many people i know have done this and have been successful! So do not give up and try not to get too despondent. At the end of the day these setbacks will only make you want it so much more and you will be a stronger person because of it!! :)

Hope this is helpful. The very best of luck with it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Juicystar11

Thanks for your replys everyone, especially shakywaky. As you said if it's meant for me it will happen for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

With a score of 550 you would be competing with a lot of people with a higher score but after you adjust points it's not that bad.
    Do you have a second offer ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

Out of curiosity, and apologies for being off topic, but what is a HPAT? Is entry to medicine not solely dependent on points anymore?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

NipNip wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, and apologies for being off topic, but what is a HPAT? Is entry to medicine not solely dependent on points anymore?

It's a sort of aptitude test that was introduced a few years ago. It was supposed to level the playing field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

In the same situation.. 555 and 165. Got offered Science in Trinity but pretty sure I'm going to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

spurious wrote: »
    It's a sort of aptitude test that was introduced a few years ago. It was supposed to level the playing field .

Yes supposed to . That turned out well .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

To the OP.

My brother repeated his LC many moons ago to get into medicine. Back in dem dayz, there was no HPAC or whatever it is.
    He just had the grit and determination to achieve his dream, so he repeated and got it second time round.
    He is now doing some sort of fellowship (not quite sure what that is) in Canada. He is successful but constantly studying still. He just loves it. It is hard long hours. You need to know really whether it is your vocation.
    Have you anyone in the profession to guide you? Have you dealt with blood, gore, death, responsibility, long long long hours of study and work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Apparently we took it from the system in Austrialia who have scraped it, go figure. AFAICS it's just another money making scheme and does nothing regarding levelling the playing field.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sherlook

Gonna stick a bit of advise down.. take a year out, work for the year save money and repeat the hpat. You gain experience working which will help you for summer or weekend jobs and j1s in the future youll also save alot of money which will help fund the mad social life in college. Repeating the leaving for a max of 15 points (adjustment made) as apposed to focusing just on the hpat i found just wasnt realistic.
    I was devastated when i missed it the first time but i decided to take the chance with a year out and it was the best thing i ever did so much less stressful than doing the leaving again.. just my bit of advise for you best of luck with the decision.
    If its meant for you it wint pass you.
    Ps congrats on the fab results. Also id strongly advisr galway as a first choice cant describe how brilliant it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

My advice is to repeat...we get students every year in our repeat course who missed medicine by a small number of points. If your heart is set on it, repeat the LC and the Hpat. You're obviously very intelligent...another 8 and a half months won't kill you. You will, however, mature more during the year, a lot of our students get a lot out of our "seventh" year and average points increase is about 100. If you really want medicine you need to increase your points in the LC and the Hpat...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

I would be careful about repeating. It depends on how your studying went for the last two years. People who didn't study as hard has they could have - whether because of laziness, illness etc - can go up by a significant amount the second time around. However, people who worked as hard as they were realistically capable of, generally won't get more than ten to twenty extra points. (Some even go down.) While that could make all the difference in a normal course, considering how medicine is weighted, that's only two to four extra points.

If you did fairly close to your best last year, you'd probably be better off trying to maximise your HPAT score and getting a job to save up.

Advertisement