Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Hibiscus grow in Ireland?

Options
  • 16-08-2014 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I noticed while in Aldi today they had Hibiscus plants - will they actually grow & survive in Ireland? I always thought they were a warm weather, tropical sort of plant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Some will. I have what appears to be a very old one in my garden, inherited from previous owner. My parents have one in a pot, that they take in for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Souness

Have two growing well in south facing position. They have been planted since the harsh winters a few years back so not sure how they will cope with long spells of freezing weather but hopefully be okwith a good mulch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Souness wrote: »
    Have two growing well in south facing position. They have been planted since the harsh winters a few years back so not sure how they will cope with long spells of freezing weather but hopefully be okwith a good mulch.

I have one in a pot with buds hopefully about to flower.
    Will move to the greenhouse for the winter

Advertisement