Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to repeat just 1 or 2 subjects?

Options
  • 16-08-2014 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I got my leaving cert results the other day, and unfortunately fell just a few points short of my course. I want to move on, and go to college, so I won't be repeating my entire leaving cert. However, If I repeated just 2 subjects, I know I would very be very likely to get my course next year. Is it possible to repeat 2 subjects, retain my results for the other 5, and substitute my new grades in those 2 repeated subjects for those I got last year?

I am aware that if I do this I will be putting a greater workload on myself while in college, but as I see it, not much work would be required to get myself an extra few points in just those 2 subjects. I would appreciate hearing any other reasons why doing this is not advisable, that is, if it is at all possible in the first place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭flump_master

I got my leaving cert results the other day, and unfortunately fell just a few points short of my course. I want to move on, and go to college, so I won't be repeating my entire leaving cert. However, If I repeated just 2 subjects, I know I would very be very likely to get my course next year. Is it possible to repeat 2 subjects, retain my results for the other 5, and substitute my new grades in those 2 repeated subjects for those I got last year?

I am aware that if I do this I will be putting a greater workload on myself while in college, but as I see it, not much work would be required to get myself an extra few points in just those 2 subjects. I would appreciate hearing any other reasons why doing this is not advisable, that is, if it is at all possible in the first place.

Unfortunately what you want to do isn't possible. Points must be taken from one sitting of the leaving cert only to stop students doing subjects in two blocks. When you hear of students repeating 1/2 subjects it's for matriculation requirements (HC3 in Maths for example)

From the CAO handbook: "One sitting only of the Leaving Certificate Examination will be counted for points purposes."

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jammysticks

Unfortunately what you want to do isn't possible. Points must be taken from one sitting of the leaving cert only to stop students doing subjects in two blocks. When you hear of students repeating 1/2 subjects it's for matriculation requirements (HC3 in Maths for example)

From the CAO handbook: "One sitting only of the Leaving Certificate Examination will be counted for points purposes."

Awh, alright, thanks. That makes sense i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Say if you failed maths but needed it for your course . That is when you repeat one subject . Same if you need like a hc3 in a subject but you didn't get it but you still get the points for the course . That's when to repeat one subject etc but passing it next time around doesn't change your lc points .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Nope, you can't do that, jammy, as the guys have rightly pointed out.

Advertisement