Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help:Noise from crank/front derailleur

Options
  • 16-08-2014 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Not quiet sure whats up was on a cycle today and just had a weird grateing/rubbing sound that seemed to be coming from crank area. just had a quick look not quiet sure what im looking for tho but chain didnt seem to be rubbing. also dunno if it makes any difference but the teeth on the big ring look like different shapes is that normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paulgs

bandit1987 wrote: »
    Not quiet sure whats up was on a cycle today and just had a weird grateing/rubbing sound that seemed to be coming from crank area. just had a quick look not quiet sure what im looking for tho but chain didnt seem to be rubbing. also dunno if it makes any difference but the teeth on the big ring look like different shapes is that normal?

You might need your front mech adjusted, are you using the half click on your left hand shifter when moving up and down the rear gears as you might be getting some chain rub on the front because of this. Some of the teeth are profiled on the front rings to help with smoother shifting this is normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

If all is not well with bottom bracket bearings, they can give that weird grating noise you describe. I would check the bearings for up and down play - rock the pedals up and down by hand. Take it from there - if OK make sure the bearings have adequate lubrication. If not, the BB will require overhaul or replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bandit1987

@steamengine there is no play in the pedals, and its only a new bike(1 month old) so i would expect the BB would be sufficiently lubed.

@paulgs im only new to cycling (3months) and its a new bike so not sure if im half clicking, is adjusting the front mech hard to do or would I need to bring it back to the shop. but its good to know the teeth are normal thought i somehow messed them up...

@steamengine there is no play in the pedals, and its only a new bike(1 month old) so i would expect the BB would be sufficiently lubed.

@paulgs im only new to cycling (3months) and its a new bike(1month) so not sure if im half clicking, is adjusting the front mech hard to do or would I need to bring it back to the shop. but its good to know the teeth are normal thought i somehow messed them up...

If it is 3 months old bring it back to the shop cables have just settled in and need a tweak. It's unlikely it will be anything more than that.

@paulgs im only new to cycling (3months) and its a new bike(1month) so not sure if im half clicking, is adjusting the front mech hard to do or would I need to bring it back to the shop. but its good to know the teeth are normal thought i somehow messed them up...

On your left hand shifter when you are in the big ring if you give it a light tap if will move a fraction to allow for your chain line on the bigger sprockets on the back. If you give it a hard tap it will drop all the way down. This is presuming you are using shimano drive train.

• Advertisement

paulgs wrote: »
    On your left hand shifter when you are in the big ring if you give it a light tap if will move a fraction to allow for your chain line on the bigger sprockets on the back. If you give it a hard tap it will drop all the way down. This is presuming you are using shimano drive train.

Yea its shimano drive train, ill have to watch for that next time im out. thanks

No problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

@paulgs im only new to cycling (3months) and its a new bike so not sure if im half clicking, is adjusting the front mech hard to do or would I need to bring it back to the shop. but its good to know the teeth are normal thought i somehow messed them up...

Good news on the BB so. Edit - see you have it sorted.

Good news on the BB so. Edit - see you have it sorted.

hopefully anyways... havent tried it out to make sure its sorted going for a cycle tomorrow so will post back then if issues still there. thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

If its a new bike i would imagine the cable for the front mech has stretched,re tension and go from there
    This is why most shops will tell you to come back after a month or so for a free service

• Advertisement

went out today cycling the half clicking improved it a bit but still there so I reckon ill drop it in for a service see if the cables need tweeking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭breanach78

Thought it may be chain noise from worn out but if it's only 3 mts old it's not. Next would be BB but likes wise it's only 3 mts old so most likely chain rub.

Check the BB as it may not have been lubed of fitted correctly.

breanach78 wrote: »
    Thought it may be chain noise from worn out but if it's only 3 mts old it's not. Next would be BB but likes wise it's only 3 mts old so most likely chain rub.

Check the BB as it may not have been lubed of fitted correctly.

how do i check that? do i need to remove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭breanach78

You do need to remove it. If you need ask how to best have a friend show you or get you lbs to check over it.

thanks ill do

Advertisement