Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rising Damp in boiler shed

Options
  • 16-08-2014 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

Just wondering if I might be able to get your opinion on the following:

I have an outdoor boiler shed (single leaf solid block) that has rising damp. When I bought the house, the person before hand had placed a flower bed around two sides of the bolier shed and above the damp proof course. As a result, the inside of the boiler shed is damp and now the boiler has rusted.

I am in the process of replacing the boiler but I want to ensure that the same will not happen again.

I am thinking of putting in a few blocks on their sides on the ground and placing the boiler on these so as to keep it off the ground. I have also pulled back all of the soil from the sides of the shed. The roof is not sealed to the walls and as such, I was thinking of putting some kind of sealent.

Is there any kind of sealent that I can use around the bottom of the walls (i.e. where wall meets ground)?

Is putting a layer of water proof paint on the inside floor and partly up the walls a good idea?

Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

strat_640 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if I might be able to get your opinion on the following:

I have an outdoor boiler shed (single leaf solid block) that has rising damp. When I bought the house, the person before hand had placed a flower bed around two sides of the bolier shed and above the damp proof course. As a result, the inside of the boiler shed is damp and now the boiler has rusted.

I am in the process of replacing the boiler but I want to ensure that the same will not happen again.

I am thinking of putting in a few blocks on their sides on the ground and placing the boiler on these so as to keep it off the ground. I have also pulled back all of the soil from the sides of the shed. The roof is not sealed to the walls and as such, I was thinking of putting some kind of sealent.

Is there any kind of sealent that I can use around the bottom of the walls (i.e. where wall meets ground)?

Is putting a layer of water proof paint on the inside floor and partly up the walls a good idea?

Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers Rob
    Rob, there is a product called Eproseal, made by Parex in the UK. That can be painted on the inside or the outside and it prevents damp. Supposed to be easy to apply by brush. I know that some damp proofing companies here use it, so it must work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 strat_640

Thanks, That is what I have been thinking of using, just didnt know a brand. I have since dug away all the crap that has surrounded the boiler shed and dug down to the damp proof course and a bit below. I am thinking for the outside I will just leave as is and fill with gravel. For the inside, I will try the sealant that you recommended and also these "legs" called bigfoot or something. They are simply a rail that the boiler will sit on and thus will keep it off the floor. Means I wont need to lay any blocks on the inside. Equally, I will try and get the pump and piping etc to and from the boiler run along the wall and so off the floor.

Fun times ahead!!

R

Advertisement