Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLC Course? Please explain

Options
  • 16-08-2014 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi... Daughter got 350 points in LC but wanted a course for 370. Rather than repeat the LC someone suggested doing a PLC course for a year. They say it will give her extra points.

Could someone link me to how this works so that I can check out for myself

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Shano1996

What course would she like to do which is 370pts? I did a plc for science last year and received an offer for a science level 8 course in NUI Maynooth this year. Considering I only got 215 in my leaving cert, plc courses are the way to go if you want to get into college but you have to put the work in throughout the whole year as there is continuous assessment as well as an end of year exam. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

She needs to pick a PLC course that has a progression route into her course - not all have. She should look at the requirements for her course.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

This. ^^^^
    Sikpupi wrote: »
    Hi... Daughter got 350 points in LC but wanted a course for 370. Rather than repeat the LC someone suggested doing a PLC course for a year. They say it will give her extra points.

Could someone link me to how this works so that I can check out for myself
    Please note that it won't give her "extra" points to add to her current LC total (this may not be what you mean, but just in case!)

Her 'new' points will be calculated on the basis of her results from her PLC / FETAC course; it's an alternative route which works well for many people, but you are wise to look carefully into it and make sure the course she opts for gives her a route into the course she wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭HonestCry

Hello, i am wondering about doing a PLC course. It's quite silly but i failed my Leaving Cert for the 2nd time now and although i wouldn't mind repeating again as i love school but i'm just considering my options. I even love it to a point were i don't take it seriously. But that has faded away as i'm fed up being an under achiever. I am smart once i put my mind to it as everyone of us are.
    I only got 200 points in my leaving cert this year, i failed Maths, Irish and Geography i honestly didn't do a tap so it's no wonder i failed.
    I could go back and hit the 400 mark with no problem but i'm just looking for other options.
    Any suggestions like doing a PLC course in Galway and getting a house with a few people that are doing the same or what should i do?
    Any suggestions welcome as my parents ( my mum ) thinks i should work and build a relationship in a company but i have no interest as i want to pass my LC once and for all.
    Please go in depth with a response because i really am lost and need to find some path to proceed on.
    Also how does being successful in a PLC course lead to a place in college? etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

HonestCry wrote: »
    Hello, i am wondering about doing a PLC course. It's quite silly but i failed my Leaving Cert for the 2nd time now and although i wouldn't mind repeating again as i love school but i'm just considering my options. I even love it to a point were i don't take it seriously. But that has faded away as i'm fed up being an under achiever. I am smart once i put my mind to it as everyone of us are.
    I only got 200 points in my leaving cert this year, i failed Maths, Irish and Geography i honestly didn't do a tap so it's no wonder i failed.
    I could go back and hit the 400 mark with no problem but i'm just looking for other options.
    Any suggestions like doing a PLC course in Galway and getting a house with a few people that are doing the same or what should i do?
    Any suggestions welcome as my parents ( my mum ) thinks i should work and build a relationship in a company but i have no interest as i want to pass my LC once and for all.
    Please go in depth with a response because i really am lost and need to find some path to proceed on.
    Also how does being successful in a PLC course lead to a place in college? etc etc

I am a PLC Co-ordinator, here's the quick and dirty version.

PLCs are awarded a FETAC Level 5 Certificate.

You can do a PLC in a wide variety of areas. There are a number of compulsory modules in each cert: specifically Work Experience and Communications.

To be awarded a FETAC Level 5 certificate you must pass 8 modules . You can of course do more than 8 modules and many students do. Depending on the cert that you choose aside from the two modules I already mentioned which are compulsory for all PLCs, there will be a variety of compulsory and optional modules within your certificate. What is offered by a PLC Centre will depend from place to place.

For each of the modules you complete you are awarded a Distinction, Merit, Pass or Undefined (Fail). Same grading scheme as LCVP.

Points wise this translates as

Distinction - 50
    Merit - 35
    Pass - 20

Your best 8 modules are used to calculate your CAO points total

So the best you can get is 8 Distinctions giving you 400 points.

If you fail a compulsory module, even if you have passed more than 8 modules you will not be awarded a full certificate. My experience of people failing modules is because they have not handed in projects rather than not being able for the module. It's a bit like not being able to get into a lot of college courses if you fail LC maths.

That part is not important for now.

College progression:

You apply to the CAO like you normally would before February but you tick the FETAC option on the form. You can still tick the option to say you did the LC previously and you will have two sets of points put into the system.

Note: PLC points and LC points are not added together, they are two separate qualifications.

Some college courses require you to have a specific FETAC Certificate completed and some require Distinctions in specific subjects to be considered for entry. Nursing is one of these courses. Some science degrees look for specific Science PLCs.

However there is a huge range of third level courses that do not ask for a specific PLC. If you are in doubt about which one to go for, if you are considering a specific route at third level look up the course on qualifax.ie and see what it says under FETAC qualifications. If it lists a specific FETAC course then that is all they will accept. If it doesn't then they will accept any PLC.

When you apply to the CAO, there are a certain number of places on courses (mainly in ITs) reserved for PLC students. However if your points are high enough you may just get it through the conventional manner as your points will match up to similar LC applicants.

It's a very worthwhile way of getting to college. I have seen students like yourself get 200 points in the LC and not know what to do next. They come and do the PLC and often come out with 400 points.

All modules involve some form of project/continuous assessment, typically 40-50%. Some are 100% project work with no end of year exam. It does take the pressure off. My advice is stay on top of your projects, get going on them when you get them. The biggest mistake students make is leaving them pile up and then doing a half assed job on all of them and not getting the grade they are capable of.

The student grant is available for students who do PLCs. It will not affect you getting the grant at third level if you continue on after the year.

Just a variety of places my students have ended up over the last few years: Degree courses (all Level 8, but you are also eligible for L6/7) in: Software Development, Accounting, Business Studies, Social Care, Sport and Recreation Studies, Sport and Leisure (PE teaching, Tralee IT), Computer Games Development. One of my students has been accepted into a degree in a Welsh university this year.

The PLCs in my school focus mainly on Sport, IT, Business hence the above courses.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask on this thread or by PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

I thought a PLC was a Programmable Logic Controller, used in auto control?

DanWall wrote: »

Yes they exist too, but not in this educational context.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

DanWall wrote: »
    Yes, but in this context, it stands for Post-Leaving Cert! :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

HonestCry wrote: »
    i failed Maths
    It all comes down to what the PLC course that you're planning on doing is, and what it's requirements are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 sarahq1962

HI, does anyone know when you apply for PLC courses? Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

sarahq1962 wrote: »

Look at the individual college sites. Some of them are already taking applications for 2018/19.

Many people wait until after the Leaving Cert results to apply (when they realise they didn't get a place on a CAO course), but many apply now, have their interviews in April or so and know well in advance what they are doing.

Should you get a PLC place before the LC results and then choose not to take it after the results, please let the college know. You might be surprised how many do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

I am a PLC Co-ordinator, here's the quick and dirty version.

PLCs are awarded a FETAC Level 5 Certificate.

You can do a PLC in a wide variety of areas. There are a number of compulsory modules in each cert: specifically Work Experience and Communications.

To be awarded a FETAC Level 5 certificate you must pass 8 modules . You can of course do more than 8 modules and many students do. Depending on the cert that you choose aside from the two modules I already mentioned which are compulsory for all PLCs, there will be a variety of compulsory and optional modules within your certificate. What is offered by a PLC Centre will depend from place to place.

For each of the modules you complete you are awarded a Distinction, Merit, Pass or Undefined (Fail). Same grading scheme as LCVP.

Points wise this translates as

Distinction - 50
    Merit - 35
    Pass - 20

Your best 8 modules are used to calculate your CAO points total

So the best you can get is 8 Distinctions giving you 400 points.

If you fail a compulsory module, even if you have passed more than 8 modules you will not be awarded a full certificate. My experience of people failing modules is because they have not handed in projects rather than not being able for the module. It's a bit like not being able to get into a lot of college courses if you fail LC maths.

That part is not important for now.

College progression:

You apply to the CAO like you normally would before February but you tick the FETAC option on the form. You can still tick the option to say you did the LC previously and you will have two sets of points put into the system.

Note: PLC points and LC points are not added together, they are two separate qualifications.

Some college courses require you to have a specific FETAC Certificate completed and some require Distinctions in specific subjects to be considered for entry. Nursing is one of these courses. Some science degrees look for specific Science PLCs.

However there is a huge range of third level courses that do not ask for a specific PLC. If you are in doubt about which one to go for, if you are considering a specific route at third level look up the course on qualifax.ie and see what it says under FETAC qualifications. If it lists a specific FETAC course then that is all they will accept. If it doesn't then they will accept any PLC.

When you apply to the CAO, there are a certain number of places on courses (mainly in ITs) reserved for PLC students. However if your points are high enough you may just get it through the conventional manner as your points will match up to similar LC applicants.

It's a very worthwhile way of getting to college. I have seen students like yourself get 200 points in the LC and not know what to do next. They come and do the PLC and often come out with 400 points.

All modules involve some form of project/continuous assessment, typically 40-50%. Some are 100% project work with no end of year exam. It does take the pressure off. My advice is stay on top of your projects, get going on them when you get them. The biggest mistake students make is leaving them pile up and then doing a half assed job on all of them and not getting the grade they are capable of.

The student grant is available for students who do PLCs. It will not affect you getting the grant at third level if you continue on after the year.

Just a variety of places my students have ended up over the last few years: Degree courses (all Level 8, but you are also eligible for L6/7) in: Software Development, Accounting, Business Studies, Social Care, Sport and Recreation Studies, Sport and Leisure (PE teaching, Tralee IT), Computer Games Development. One of my students has been accepted into a degree in a Welsh university this year.

The PLCs in my school focus mainly on Sport, IT, Business hence the above courses.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask on this thread or by PM.

That’s a great explanation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Hi, just talking to an LC student who has been offered a PLC place already and they were unsure (as am I) if the possibility of them not passing five subjects would affect their place or if they’ve already been offered they are secure?

sarahq1962 wrote:

Some people applied earlier in the year and have had their interview and have their places already. There will still be some places on some courses after the Leaving and applications will be opened again.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Hi, just talking to an LC student who has been offered a PLC place already and they were unsure (as am I) if the possibility of them not passing five subjects would affect their place or if they’ve already been offered they are secure?

If she has been offered a place without conditions then she has a place. There are no minimum grades required for a PLC. Some plc colleges put minimum requirements like 5 passes on their brochures as they are oversubscribed so they can afford to be choosy about who they offer places to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

If she has been offered a place without conditions then she has a place. There are no minimum grades required for a PLC. Some plc colleges put minimum requirements like 5 passes on their brochures as they are oversubscribed so they can afford to be choosy about who they offer places to.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sarahq1962

as I understand it - if you have been offered a place it is secure - not dependent on any results you may or may not get

Advertisement