Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't think I got enough points

Options
  • 16-08-2014 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

My entire cao is nursing , I got 345 points which I highly doubt will get me any nursing courses but is there a slight 1 in a million chance I may be offered something? I hear nursing applicants have dropped even though general rise in cao applicants? Please help ! Also I have a plc lined up just in case but I really would only do it as a last resort.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Idek wrote: »
    My entire cao is nursing , I got 345 points which I highly doubt will get me any nursing courses but is there a slight 1 in a million chance I may be offered something? I hear nursing applicants have dropped even though general rise in cao applicants? Please help ! Also I have a plc lined up just in case but I really would only do it as a last resort.

what is the order of your cao? look up the courses..did you put down mental health nursing etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Idek

I don't have mental health nursing as I wouldn't be interested in that, my dream is paediatric but like that is over 500 normally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Idek wrote: »
    I don't have mental health nursing as I wouldn't be interested in that, my dream is paediatric but like that is over 500 normally

Is the uk an option? I doubt general nursing will go down so much, usually stands at about 400 in ITs. Plc isn't a bad option but you need to get distinctions in nearly every exam to get into a course so keep that in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Amy313

Hi there. I was in the same position as you too,, I was so upset i didnt want to do a PLC course cause the likelihood of getting into a college were very slim.
    Like that i didn't know where to position my self.
    I started out doing a Business course in UCD i hated it but my parents kept reminding me i could always return as a mature student when i was 23/24.
    I knew there had to be another option somewhere. I contacted my student union and they said there was a final route i could take if i wanted.
    I applied as an external student and repeated the leaving cert (just one subject) again while remaining in college and studying my course.
    I took on biology, i never studied it before this, in 3 months and got an A2 i applied to the cao again and Awaited for the cao rounds to come out and the Leaving cert results. I knew to keep my course i was doing in the mean time for security so i wouldn't have to apply and start all over again i would still have it there to go into year 2.
    Luckily enough i got my course & i'm in my second year of General Nursing, i had 420 points behind me after receiving an A2 in biology. It was really worth it.

Unfortunately there's one downside if you're viable for a grant and your attending a college currently and thinking of switching over to a new course you will loose your grant for one year but will have it back when applying in Year 2,3,4 so you could invest in a part time job now and all over summer and you could help your parents by saving with them putting aside 50 - 100€ a week , that's what i did and it helped when it came to paying the fees.

Hope this was a helpful .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Amy313 wrote: »
    Hi there. I was in the same position as you too,, I was so upset i didnt want to do a PLC course cause the likelihood of getting into a college were very slim.
    Like that i didn't know where to position my self.
    I started out doing a Business course in UCD i hated it but my parents kept reminding me i could always return as a mature student when i was 23/24.
    I knew there had to be another option somewhere. I contacted my student union and they said there was a final route i could take if i wanted.
    I applied as an external student and repeated the leaving cert (just one subject) again while remaining in college and studying my course.
    I took on biology, i never studied it before this, in 3 months and got an A2 i applied to the cao again and Awaited for the cao rounds to come out and the Leaving cert results. I knew to keep my course i was doing in the mean time for security so i wouldn't have to apply and start all over again i would still have it there to go into year 2.
    Luckily enough i got my course & i'm in my second year of General Nursing, i had 420 points behind me after receiving an A2 in biology. It was really worth it.

Unfortunately there's one downside if you're viable for a grant and your attending a college currently and thinking of switching over to a new course you will loose your grant for one year but will have it back when applying in Year 2,3,4 so you could invest in a part time job now and all over summer and you could help your parents by saving with them putting aside 50 - 100€ a week , that's what i did and it helped when it came to paying the fees.

Hope this was a helpful .

No you didn't, you can't combine points anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement