Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Gaming build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I'd try get a 280x or even a 290 in as your gpu as you'd be more future proof as your selected PSU would well be able for them. 280xs are starting to drop in price now so maybe hold off on buying for a few weeks to see if there's any sales.

Picking a lower wattage psu could help save you some money too. Make sure you use Geizhels.de to save some money on your build through HWV, it won't save so before you buy so make sure you put all parts through it.

Have a look at other threads with similar budgets as yourself to get some more ideas for builds and see where others have cut corners and splurged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I'm no expert but maybe this is something to consider:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/321956-30-difference-asus-m5a97-m5a97
    M5A97 EVO R2.0 has 6+2 power phase when M5A97 R2.0 has only 4+2. I don't understand why this is never mentioned in the specs even though it is apparently an important factor when overclocking.

If you are planning to overclock M5A97 EVO R2.0 is minimum you want to have from Asus. If overclocking doesn't belong to your program and you have no use for that firewire, eSATA and usb connections you should be good with M5A97 R2.0 as far as I'm concerned

You would probably be better off saving another few hundred and buying a i5-4690K and a ASRock Z97 Pro3 LGA 1150.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

With a budget of €1000 why are you going for an FX-6300?
    I'd try get a 280x or even a 290 in as your gpu as you'd be more future proof as your selected PSU would well be able for them. 280xs are starting to drop in price now so maybe hold off on buying for a few weeks to see if there's any sales.

The 280 and 280x are identical cards at different clock speeds. Buy the cheaper 280 with a good cooler and overclock it or go for the 290. You can get the Club3D R9 290 RoyalACE for €335 through Geizhals.

No need to go crazy with the processor. From what I've seen you will run into gpu limitations long before the cpu causes a problem. Get a cheap board and i5 processor and pump the rest into the card. A good rule of thumb for gaming PC's is to spend around twice as much on the GPU as you are on the CPU.

I'd also go for a SSD + HDD combo. If you don't have money to burn SSD's simply don't have the storage space. You could set up a small 20-30GB SSD partition and use it as a cache drive to speed up the HDD's performance anyway.

I wouldn't be convinced about that monitor either.

I'd go for something like this. Drop to a 280 if you need the extra cash.

318961.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

yimrsg wrote: »

Picking a lower wattage psu could help save you some money too. Make sure you use Geizhels.de to save some money on your build through HWV, it won't save so before you buy so make sure you put all parts through it.

Have a look at other threads with similar budgets as yourself to get some more ideas for builds and see where others have cut corners and splurged.

Thanks very much.

I am in no rush it will probably be late Sept at this point when I order. On the PSU, I started out with a lower watt one but since I am trying to build something that I can easily update at a later stage, a higher watt PSU seemed like a decent investment to save me having to change the PSU later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

BloodBath wrote: »
    With a budget of €1000 why are you going for an FX-6300?

The 280 and 280x are identical cards at different clock speeds. Buy the cheaper 280 with a good cooler and overclock it or go for the 290. You can get the Club3D R9 290 RoyalACE for €335 through Geizhals.

No need to go crazy with the processor. From what I've seen you will run into gpu limitations long before the cpu causes a problem. Get a cheap board and i5 processor and pump the rest into the card. A good rule of thumb for gaming PC's is to spend around twice as much on the GPU as you are on the CPU.

I'd also go for a SSD + HDD combo. If you don't have money to burn SSD's simply don't have the storage space. You could set up a small 20-30GB SSD partition and use it as a cache drive to speed up the HDD's performance anyway.

I wouldn't be convinced about that monitor either.

I'd go for something like this. Drop to a 280 if you need the extra cash.

Thanks man, I will have to look through that list in detail first. But I was definitely thinking of upgrading to an i5.

• Advertisement
Advertisement