Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in requirments for primary teaching

Options
  • 15-08-2014 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi. I am going into 5th year this coming September and I was wondering if anyone is aware as to weather or not Higher Level maths will be a requirement for primary teaching in 2016? Can colleges change the requirements up until February 2015 (when I will be filling out my CAO) or must they give two years notice before changing a course requirement? (Example: for the LC in 2016, they would have to notify the public in September 2014 that higher level maths will be a requirement).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

It's the Teaching Council rather than individual colleges that decide the requirements. There was talk a few years back of changing the requirements for English, Irish and Maths from 2017, but all has been very quiet on that front since.

The honours maths story that was in the news at Easter was based on comments made by Ruairí Quinn at the time, and had nothing to do with official policy.

My guess would be that you will be okay for 2015.

Advertisement