Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Irish problem..

Options
  • 15-08-2014 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

So I'm aiming for quite high points for my leaving cert (veterinary) and I have a problem. I'm going into 5th year doing 7 subjects and I know who the HL irish teacher is and she is absolute crap (I had her for jc) and she basically doesn't teach. I managed to get by for my jc with grinds and got a B (hl) but Irish has always been one of my good subjects and I was basically surviving by my primary school Irish. I really don't want to go through the stress of grinds and having to put up with this awful teacher so I've been considering dropping to OL but my parents think that it's a waste of my good aptitude for Irish and that it's too risky to go in with only 6 honours subjects when expecting high points so I'm really torn and don't know what to do!! I'm unable to take up another subject (that option is completely out the window) so if anyone has experienced a similar problem with Irish, any advice would be mostly appreciated!

also I was born outside Ireland, so if anyone has experience getting an exemption under those circumstances it would be great if you could share thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

So I'm aiming for quite high points for my leaving cert (veterinary) and I have a problem. I'm going into 5th year doing 7 subjects and I know who the HL irish teacher is and she is absolute crap (I had her for jc) and she basically doesn't teach. I managed to get by for my jc with grinds and got a B (hl) but Irish has always been one of my good subjects and I was basically surviving by my primary school Irish. I really don't want to go through the stress of grinds and having to put up with this awful teacher so I've been considering dropping to OL but my parents think that it's a waste of my good aptitude for Irish and that it's too risky to go in with only 6 honours subjects when expecting high points so I'm really torn and don't know what to do!! I'm unable to take up another subject (that option is completely out the window) so if anyone has experienced a similar problem with Irish, any advice would be mostly appreciated!

also I was born outside Ireland, so if anyone has experience getting an exemption under those circumstances it would be great if you could share thank you!

If you came to Ireland before the age of 11 I don't think you are entitled to an exemption. I honestly don't think you'd be able to get one now considering you've done JC Irish at Higher Level.

The obvious solution is grinds. Look at it this way: how badly do you want veterinary? Is it worth putting up with doing an hour of irish once a week outside school (assuming your parents are willing to pay for grinds) if it gets you where you ultimately want to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I dropped to OL Irish about halfway during 5th Year purely because I was too lazy to study it. I regret dropping because I was always bored in class and got A1s with little to no work while in OL. Going into 6th Year with only 6 Honours subjects and looking for 500+ like I am is a heavy risk. Just stick with HL until Christmas and see what your result is. If you're finding the coursework okay but your result isn't what you expected consider grinds (depending whether your parents can afford them). Focus heavily on the Oral where there are an abundance of resources for both SP and the actual conversation.

Also, 5th Year is actually grand and was my best year academically (All As and Bs, which is good considering I got Cs, Ds and Es up to and including Third Year)

Just work consistently and do your homework to a high standard, I used most of my homework as study and revision notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 niamh.k

I would recommend doing Higher Level for the full year and see how you get on. You should also try to subscribe to dréimire, its like a magazine in Irish with articles on current affairs and any big news stories that could come up. Its also got notes on the stories, poems and sraith pictúirí and short reading comprehensions. I found it really helpful when I was doing the leaving cert :) I am also selling A1 standard Irish notes and am giving grinds in Dublin if you're interested.
    Hope this helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭FifaPlaya

You could either drop down to ordibary or get a nui exemption if you are struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭bicboy6666

where abouts you from? know an unbelievable grinds teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

Every student has the right to be taught properly in school. Nobody has mentioned this teacher the poster is talking about. First of all, you describe him/her as "crap"! Is that from your perspective as a junior student in maybe a big class he/she found hard to control? Its often a very different experience to have a teacher for LC with a smaller/more mature group. If the teacher is down to teach HL Irish, the teacher has a degree in the subject. If you are concerned about the quality of teaching you need to go to the class in September, give this person a decent chance to teach the HL LC course and if you have concerns, write them down and get your parents to meet with the Principal to discuss them. Its unfair of you to be posting about how "crap" this person is, when you are looking at it from a Junior student's point of view. Maybe the students were horrible to teach, 3rd yrs can be very challenging. If she/he is a young teacher, give then a chance. At least go to the class, prepared to learn and interact positively with the teacher and as I said, if you have concerns, write down specifically what they are and get them addressed at school management level. The Oral makes up nearly half of the exam and is common standard, so work hard at your spoken Irish. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

I'm going into 5th year too and have my heart set on veterinary! Ucd? Do you know anyone else hoping to do it? Hope points drop although I think that with a bit of good luck I'll be able to achieve them :)
    They'd better not introduce the HPAT for veterinary!! (Rumours..)

Advertisement