Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fathers Rights - Leaving country with child

Options
  • 15-08-2014 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

I know this is topic that has been covered in many threads already but I was hoping for some advice for a particular situation.

A friend of mine has a child after a one night stand and he is trying to be an active parent.
    Following on from getting pregnant the couple decided to give a relationship a try. The child is now four years old and their relationship has been on and off over the last few years.
    As the mother is polish during the times the relationship between them broke down she would take the child back to Poland which didn't give my friend a lot of opportunity to visit his child as often as he would like.

This year she agreed to move back to Ireland as she was having a hard time of it living in Poland being a single parent, she moved back on the condition that they live together and give their relationship a go. My friend jumped at this chance to see his child more than once a month and they are all now living together, however their relationship is leading to a very tense living environment and he is starting to dislike her and how she is treating him. The mother has basically said she will not live in Ireland apart from him and will take him to court. This means if they decide to call it quits she will leave again and he will not get to spend time with his child as much.

My question is, I know he has no rights per se as a single father but are there any steps he can take to stop her from leaving the country with his child?
    And I'm not sure why she has threatened court as he supports them and had continued to do so (to the best of my knowledge) while she was living in Poland, so what exactly can she take him to court over?

Sorry for the long post, just looking to see if my friend has any options.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Your friend needs legal advice. He also needs to sort guardianship. First thing in the morning get him to get the forms and get the girlfriend to sign them, if she doesn't he takes her to court.

I am closing this thread because legal advice is not allowed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement