Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Periods & Contraception after birth

Options
  • 15-08-2014 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

Hey girls,

Got my first period a few days ago and it started off light enough but getting heavier and I know from reading up it can go supersonic which can last over many periods. Personally, I want to try and get contraception sorted now so that this is the only real bad one I have so I'm looking up options.

Doc gave me mini pill prescription (as I'm breast and bottle feeding) but from what I read it's not great and you can get a lot of spotting with it so I didn't actually start it. Just wanted opinions on whatever you girls were using, from combined pill, coils, implants? A lot of conflicting stories so not really sure what's good!

Also did you find your first period bad and what are any subsequent ones like if you're that far down the road?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My first one was agonising, cramps were like full on contractions.
    Second one not as bad.

The pill is different for everyone. Minipill was fine for me, gp told me at the time that the spotting is usually when peoplle fail to take it at the same time each day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'm on the mini-pill. The odd bit of spotting, but nothing major. In general, I've noticed very few side effects compared to any other pill I've used before.

Will probably switch to mirena coil in the next few months, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I got the depo provera shot two Wednesdays ago. I was on Day 2 of my period. I'm still lightly bleeding now. Pain in the back side...

The period was heavy. I always found my second period after giving birth was horrific. After my first pregnancy I actually thought I was hemorraging...

Please remember no medical advice. You can state what you are on and what side effects it gave you but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Thanks for all the replies girls!

Just read up about the depo provera there it sounds really interesting!! Think I may talk to doc about it! Did you use it before now and did you find it good?

I've been very lucky with this period so far, it's been a little heavy but I've always had heavy periods, it's strange though, when I wake up it's heavy for 5-6 hours (cause we're back to bed with baby until say about 10) then as evening comes around it's very, very light and stays like that all evening and night and then once morning comes it goes heavy again for the morning and afternoon! Anyone else had this?

• Advertisement

I took it once before and had the same, I bled in total lightly for the 12 weeks and didn't renew it. This is short term while I'm waiting on my partner to get his vasectomy. I'm hoping the bleeding stops and I go back to normal periods after the second shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm after getting the implanon in... I loved the Depo when I used use it so hoping the implanon is the same: had no periods/bleeding anything on the Depo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I remember after my first girl, my first period was agony, like labour all over again.. She was about 6 months old when I got it :).

I just can't take contraception long term. I've tried eveything. I'd be fine on the pill for a few months and then I'd have to come off it. Years ago, I was treated for depression, it got very bad. I was hositalised once ans eventually I changed GP and straight away she linked the pill and my depression. It took years of trial and error and I had to accept that hormones do not suit my system. Even the ordinary copper coil had to be taken out after 16 months. It was causing me to have periods every 2-3 weeks for approx 10 days and the pain was horrendous, I normally don't have period pain. My ex husband had the snip after our 4th. My new partner hasn't had it but we're thinking 2 of our own and then he'll get it done.. We'll see how this birth goes :D

cbyrd wrote: »
    I remember after my first girl, my first period was agony, like labour all over again.. She was about 6 months old when I got it :).

I just can't take contraception long term. I've tried eveything. I'd be fine on the pill for a few months and then I'd have to come off it. Years ago, I was treated for depression, it got very bad. I was hositalised once ans eventually I changed GP and straight away she linked the pill and my depression. It took years of trial and error and I had to accept that hormones do not suit my system. Even the ordinary copper coil had to be taken out after 16 months. It was causing me to have periods every 2-3 weeks for approx 10 days and the pain was horrendous, I normally don't have period pain. My ex husband had the snip after our 4th. My new partner hasn't had it but we're thinking 2 of our own and then he'll get it done.. We'll see how this birth goes :D

That sounds very tough but you must be some woman with 4 kids and another on the way, fair play! My hormones still feel a bit all over the place, I still feel a lot weepier and not as 'solid' as before if that makes sense, I was hoping a good contraception would help that too but I don't want to make things worse if that's also a possibility!

Hey girls how long did your first period last and did it end abruptly or with some light brown/yellow at the end?

Im day 7 and on that now...looks like the last light discharge I had at end of lochia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had a good chat with my GP today and I've decided to give the mini pill a go. It's called Cerelle here in the UK, I think it may be Cerazette in Ireland? It's a POP so lower dose, hopefully we will get on well!

Advertisement