Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the feeling 1 or even 2days after

Options
  • 15-08-2014 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I know this is all general speaking ... But after I go for a good cycle like pushing past my max distance by say 20km I'm not feeling great when I get off the bike and also the next day I'm lifeless really tired not muscle pain.
    Is this normal??
    Am I doing something wrong

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

It's normal enough if you're pushing yourself. If you're new to this then your body wont be used to it and it won't take that much to put you into that state. That'll change and you'll feel fine the next day after really long cycles unless you did intense work like sprinting or hard climbing.

If you've been doing this for a good while and you're getting a lot of this then make sure that you have enough rest days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

quozl wrote: »
    It's normal enough if you're pushing yourself. If you're new to this then your body wont be used to it and it won't take that much to put you into that state. That'll change and you'll feel fine the next day after really long cycles unless you did intense work like sprinting or hard climbing.

If you've been doing this for a good while and you're getting a lot of this then make sure that you have enough rest days.

I'd go with this too.

Train, rest and eat are the mainstays of any fitness routine.

I'd also be looking at staying hydrated during the day, both before and after cycling. And if you've felt you'd pushed particularly hard I'd say follow the cycle with a good meal and a rest.

Rest days are very important to let your body recover and repair itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, watch your food and hydration. If it's been a particularly sweaty session, you'll be low on a few essential minerals, electrolytes and the like, so try to eat a diet rich in veg afterwards and not just cake and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭fits

Happens me too OP. Think it is normal enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Some people aren't built for cycling. I know a guy who runs long distances and is superfit, yet when we went for a 30k cycle he got dizzy and had to get a lift home. I'm sure it's something you can improve on over time.

I'd agree with other people on the thread, drink water before you set out, during the cycle, and after your cycle. I'd easily drink a litre in all for a 20k cycle (then again, I'm half camel). Before I set out I'd probably have a couple of scrambled eggs. Eat a decent meal after. And during it's good to keep your energy up with some sugary sweets or a milky way or something like that. (That's not advice from a professional, just someone who goes out for a cycle the odd Sunday)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

OP your not cycling that long? A year or two?

It's takes time to get strong on bike, some do it quicker than others.

Agree with plenty rest, sleep, good nutrient dense food, maybe stretch afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

jackstaff wrote: »
    I know this is all general speaking ... But after I go for a good cycle like pushing past my max distance by say 20km I'm not feeling great when I get off the bike and also the next day I'm lifeless really tired not muscle pain.
    Is this normal??

Are you new to cycling?
    Are you young or old?
    When you say push your max by 20K, what was the orginal max in % terms how much are you extending by

Quite normal for your body to feel the impact of pushing beyond your current level, thats what training is for

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vermin99

Used to be the same, gone used to it.After a long cycle I have something to eat, the usea foam roller and then a shower folowed by a good rest.Foam roller helps the legs recover bigtime

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

As already mentioned, rest days are as if not more important than the training day. Good diet and rest is so important especially if you are training hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

bazermc wrote: »
    Are you new to cycling?
    Are you young or old?
    When you say push your max by 20K, what was the orginal max in % terms how much are you extending by

Quite normal for your body to feel the impact of pushing beyond your current level, thats what training is for

I'm 31 184cm 90kg started cycling 1 year ago doing it 2/3 times a week
    My max distance was 50k so we went to 70k
    Always try keep avg speed 29/30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

stretch, as well as all the above, even just for five minutes after the spin will make a world of difference 24 hours later,took me years to figure that out

I stretch before and after the cycle..

It's more a drained feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Immediate post ride nutrition is important for recovery. Take a dollop of good quality protein in the first 15-20 mins after exercise, eg milkshake / milk, yoghurt, or small amt chicken or some such.
    Can't tell the exact science behind it, but was put onto this by a sports nutrition booklet, and since I started, i definitely haven't felt so whacked for the rest of the day after a testing morning spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I'd say its also wrong to base your recovery in that of others.

Like someone else's pointed out, everyone handles it differently.

I only started cycling in April and the most I've done in one go is 25km , then 10 mins break then back for another 25km... . I'm getting stronger and recovery is improving but I am still getting that totally burnt out feeling next day.

Still though it's better than running ! I could run maybe a half km and I'd be dizzy !

Give it time and don't push too hard

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pushed from 50km to 70km; minimum two days off the bike, no more big cycles for at least a week, just short easy spins. Take a week off if you're still feeling tired, you won't lose any fitness.

My brother's been getting out cycling in the last few months and he gets really pumped up when he's done a big cycle, so I have to keep telling him to back off and give himself time to recover no matter how great he feels.

Number one rule is listen to your legs. Still get a bit achy or knackered going up stairs? They're not ready for another big spin. Short easy spins are great for stretching your legs out, but avoid them for a day or two after a particularly long ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

Just a heads up as it made a difference for me, I was at a physio recently and he recommended not doing any static stretching before cycling or running as it cuts muscle power.

I do a more dynamic warm up now before heading out on the bike and feel much better the day after a cycle. Still do the static stretches afterwards and as somebody else posted I found a foam roller helps with recovery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Is this normal??
    Two things that may be helpful, there is a coaching principle not really proven or disproven by research that 10% is the maximum that training distance should be increased by, I suppose its something that has been seen to work over years by coaches.
    The other thing is if you are also doing the spin very hard as well as upping the distance that's a double whammy on the body and will take longer to recover from, as energy stores will most likely be impacted..

Finally, one particular session rarely causes huge problems so look at what you did in the preceding week as well. More carbs might need to be increased during and after the long sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm 31 184cm 90kg started cycling 1 year ago doing it 2/3 times a week
    My max distance was 50k so we went to 70k
    Always try keep avg speed 29/30

I'd say this could also be part of the problem. Cycle at a speed your comfortable at. I'm only cycling a few years but can do 150km cycles without much problem, my average speed is anything from 26 to 29kmph depending on route taken. I done 85km yesterday, average speed 28kmph, that's what it turned out to be, I don't try and achieve that speed, if it had been 25kmph then so be it.

If you want to achieve greater distances then forget about average speed for now. Your speed will increase as you get fitter/stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I agree completely regarding average speed, I would suggest that you're pushing too hard. As your max distance is 50km and you're cycling a year your aerobic capacity might not be fully developed. Some days 29/30 might be fine but you mention that you try to keep this as an average. On hillier terrain or especially windy days this might not be possible. Dial it back to 26/27km/h and see how you get on. I genuinely think it would make a big difference. Do some quicker stuff on your two shorter cycles if you like.
    Your case sounds like pure over-exertion (as you mention a lack of pain, but no energy subsequently), so all the stretching/no stretching in the world won't help that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Cycling at that rate all the time just leaves your body in a constant state of stress.
    I recently started to introduce recovery rides into my fitness programme. This was based on the "Slowing down to go faster" principle.
    Recovery rides for me average about 25kmh, which seems slow compared to 30kmh but its amazing to get off the bike after 60km to feel fresh.
    I also do some interval training, ie take it easy on the flat sections and attack the hills, or target certain stretches and time trial them.
    The on/off nature of this type of training teaches your body to recover after a big effort, after a while your recovery periods should become shorter.
    I would also agree with the use of protein directly after training, I think i read that there is a critical 10 minute post exercise window where your body will use a larger proportion of any protein you consume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Is this normal??

Rest!
    I got up this morning wanting to take on a cycle, but just could not. Drained would be an under-statement.
    Sleep ain't great at the moment; appetite gone downhill lately; working, out n about majority of every day and this morning my body just said 'Rest!'
    This evening then after my lie-in this morning (first in months!); some food and a relaxing afternoon, my drive was back.

When last did you have a decent Rest?
    Are you getting enough sleep?
    Are you eating well?
    Could you be taking on too much?

Hope you bounce back again soon,
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Rest!
    I got up this morning wanting to take on a cycle, but just could not. Drained would be an under-statement.
    Sleep ain't great at the moment; appetite gone downhill lately; working, out n about majority of every day and this morning my body just said 'Rest!'
    This evening then after my lie-in this morning (first in months!); some food and a relaxing afternoon, my drive was back.

When last did you have a decent Rest?
    Are you getting enough sleep?
    Are you eating well?
    Could you be taking on too much?

Hope you bounce back again soon,
    kerry4sam

Decent rest??? A 31yr old father of 11yr, 5yr,2yr..
    Think the last time I had a rest I was 15yr old haha

Eating well?? No comment wooops sorry ha

Taking on too much?? Having cycled for a year and played GAA all my life I feel I'm able but this cycling Buzz is giving me all kinds of different issues..

On a happy note got me a new fizik antares vs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I'd agree with most of the stuff suggested. I think the big factor for the 'drained' feeling is eating as soon as your ride finishes, protein and carb mix. Makes a big difference for me. If I don't do it I can feel like a bomb hit me later. Try a chocolate milk or ovaltine and a small bowl of corn flakes or a slice of toast. Its not anecdotal by the way, sports science studies have proven that consuming protein within 30 minutes of finishing exercise significantly aids recovery. Other studies stress the importance of eating small amounts throughout the ride too.

The 20% extra thing, for me its like this - the first two to three times I do a particular distance each year (I don't cycle in the Winter) I'm tired. By the fourth outing at that distance I can manage it without too much effort. I've had the exact same experience running so its pretty normal.

If you still have a problem after all that it might be diet / sleep / lifestyle related, or maybe consider getting blood tests done, but if you're not experiencing the same problem in other forms of exercise I'm sure its nothing to worry about. Three kids will take it out of anyone. Many sportsmen go to **** after they get married and have kids!

I take two bottles with me 1 with water and 1 with intra work out supplement called sci-vation
    I just drink all the supplement which is 1 scoop to 300ml water on a 35k mid week cycle..

On the first 70k halfway round even after a couple of winegums I found myself craving a bottle of fizzy lucozade so we stopped an got 1. Water was doing nothing for me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I take two bottles with me 1 with water and 1 with intra work out supplement called sci-vation
    I just drink all the supplement which is 1 scoop to 300ml water on a 35k mid week cycle..

On the first 70k halfway round even after a couple of winegums I found myself craving a bottle of fizzy lucozade so we stopped an got 1. Water was doing nothing for me .

If I'm going on a cycle of similar length I'll bring 2 bananas and 1-2 oat based bars. In terms of fluid, I'll bring at least 1litre with the possibility of having to stop to refill. Eat before you get hungry, drink before you get thirsty.

Kinet1c wrote: »
    If I'm going on a cycle of similar length I'll bring 2 bananas and 1-2 oat based bars. In terms of fluid, I'll bring at least 1litre with the possibility of having to stop to refill. Eat before you get hungry, drink before you get thirsty.

I thought I was drinking enough but this is an eye opener really

Another thing that occurs to me is re the average speed, 28 or 29 is too fast imo. I cycle regularly enough now and rarely do those speeds for long. Over a long cycle 26 is prob better. If you're after specific fitness benefits fast cycles are better.

But the other tip comes from my last cycle, which was the longest I've ever done, It started out on the Westport greenway on a road bike, and because of the surface I had to take it very handy. Usually when I get out I'm immediately looking down at the speedometer and wanting to see 29+. But this spin the first 50k or so were quite slow. As a result at the end of 9 hours in the saddle I felt more than capable of doing another 50k. So might be a tip to start slowly and speed up a bit in middle and finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

a148pro wrote: »
    But the other tip comes from my last cycle, which was the longest I've ever done, It started out on the Westport greenway on a road bike, and because of the surface I had to take it very handy. Usually when I get out I'm immediately looking down at the speedometer and wanting to see 29+. But this spin the first 50k or so were quite slow. As a result at the end of 9 hours in the saddle I felt more than capable of doing another 50k.

Did you cycle back to Dublin?

Nah did Achill to Connemara via the scenic route (Louisburgh and Mwelrea - absolutely fcuking stunning).

Also the Achill to Mulranney road via the coast (i.e. not the greenway or the road beside it) is a beautiful untrafficked route with amazing views of Clare Island, Croke Patrick, Clew bay and the Mamturks. Spent most of the time cycling with my head at a right angle taking it in. Well recommended for anyone not wanting to back the way they came on the Greenway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Decent rest??? A 31yr old father of 11yr, 5yr,2yr..
    Think the last time I had a rest I was 15yr old haha

Eating well?? No comment wooops sorry ha

Taking on too much?? Having cycled for a year and played GAA all my life I feel I'm able but this cycling Buzz is giving me all kinds of different issues..

On a happy note got me a new fizik antares vs

No body will make money out of it but resting between cycles and proper sleep are key with any athletic endeavor.

A diet which is rich in protein, adequate micro nutrients and essential fats will be needed for maintenance, recovery etc. Your choice of fuel will depend on what suits your body best.

On being fit from football, you only think you were fit. I played GAA to a decent level for years and also played rugby; and while a background in these sports can help when starting cycling, the fitness levels of your pretty decent sportive rider/A4 rider are through the roof when compared to amateur soccer/gaa etc.

A year is not long, it'll take you a while to get stronger.

On fuel and bonking etc. If you are really lean say 10% body fat, and if 5% is available as fuel, you have an energy store of 30,000 calories (it's probably closer to 100,000 but does it matter) while your glycogen stores are about 2,500 calories.

At sub 75% maximum heart rate efforts there is no reason, after a little adaption you would need any additional fuel on the spins your are doing. Teach your body to access your fat stores.

Advertisement