Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Derailleur Cable Replacement

Options
  • 15-08-2014 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some quick advice. Was out for a short spin today, snapped my front drailleur cable in the shifter housing. The barrell adjuster fell off, I'm tempted to go back and look for it. Luckily, I wasn't far from home.

Now, I want to fix it or get it fixed fairly sharpish. Some questions:

1. Is this an easy job to do oneself?
    2. Roughly how much would a shop charge to do this?

Many thanks, pic below.

BvE7mEjCAAAcyIL.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

It's a easy job to replace a gear cable IMO. Easy enough that I carry a spare cable in my saddlebag.

Indexing the gears might be a touch tricky the first time you do it but there are youtube videos to show you and it's nothing too hard. Especially as the front derailleur is easier.

I'd guess that a bike shop would charge 15 euro for it, including cable. maybe just a tenner, never got it done by a LBS myself. They might even have a free barrel adjuster for you from a broken shifter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Biggest difficulty here is going to be getting the broken cable end out of the shifter. It's likely to jam somewhere so you may have to nudge it free with a blade or something. Click the thumb button multiple times to set the shifter to lowest gear which is the correct position for threading the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I left it in to the LBS because I want to cycle tomorrow.

Thanks for your tips. I might carry a spare cable with me from now on actually, that's good advice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

gaffmaster wrote: »
    I left it in to the LBS because I want to cycle tomorrow.

Thanks for your tips. I might carry a spare cable with me from now on actually, that's good advice indeed.

Did they say what they will charge for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

logik wrote: »
    Did they say what they will charge for it?

I'm actually in London so it's £15 plus the price of the cable. The cost of convenience ay?

• Advertisement
Advertisement