Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perceived effort

Options
  • 15-08-2014 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Does anybody use RPE (rate of perceived effort) to form the basis of their training programme? Or does everyone use heart rate and/or power output instead? Just wondering if it is feasible to base a programme on RPE alone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

You mean feel ? Yep - its in the rules. And its cheaper :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

very old school

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

and apparrently surprisingly accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I give up too easily, so no, intervals with my power meter get progressively more difficult.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

lennymc wrote: »
    and apparrently surprisingly accurate

Only if you dont lie to yourself. No hiding with a PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

godtabh wrote: »
    Only if you dont lie to yourself.

Of course! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

RPE you can kid yourself
    HR is too slow to react for short intervals
    Power, is what it is, lying to yourself is no longer possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Seems a bit like the Billings Method

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Thanks guys. I'm no wiser, of course.
    Guess I'm trying to avoid spending money on a power meter. I've spent so much on bikes and kit and a turbo that I have to draw the line somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I train with perceived awesomeness. I don't need a power meter to tell me how awesome I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

RPE is very good for short efforts, like 1-5min intervals. HR is not going to react in time for those to be of any use. For sprinting it's the only viable thing to measure your effort.

For long steady efforts RPE can be misleading, HR or power are better indicators for that.

For the TT intervals 10-40min RPE is a bit of lottery, sometimes I can judge my effort just fine but sometimes it's off a good bit. For those keeping an eye on HR or power is more consistent.

Also, for RPE to work properly you need a lot of practice with all sorts of intervals in all sorts of weather and levels of freshnes and tirednes.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Thanks Hmmzis (kryst, took me 4 goes to type that correctly!). If I'm interpreting you correctly, RPE is fairly accurate for sprint training, assuming I'm familiar enough with my own RPE scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

For sprint training that's the only thing that can be used. If during a sprint you have time to look down at your power numbers then you're going too slow. And it's also easy to judge by RPE, just go as fast as you can then go faster for 10-20sec.

For other efforts experience becomes more more important the longer the efforts last. Pros are supposedly very accurate on their RPE numbers no matter what the effort is.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    For sprint training that's the only thing that can be used. If during a sprint you have time to look down at your power numbers then you're going too slow. And it's also easy to judge by RPE, just go as fast as you can then go faster for 10-20sec.

For other efforts experience becomes more more important the longer the efforts last. Pros are supposedly very accurate on their RPE numbers no matter what the effort is.

Alot of training can be very specific, over unders, pyramid sessions, intervals etc. Its nigh on impossible to accurately hit the required outputs using RPE.

e.g. 30 secs @ 200% FTP, 30 secs rest at 50% FTP, 30 secs @ 225% FTP ro similar

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

outfox wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I'm no wiser, of course.
    Guess I'm trying to avoid spending money on a power meter. I've spent so much on bikes and kit and a turbo that I have to draw the line somewhere.

Draw that line under the total on your credit card bill when you buy your PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Inquitus wrote: »
    RPE you can kid yourself
    HR is too slow to react for short intervals
    Power, is what it is, lying to yourself is no longer possible.

Agree that HR is not useful for short intervals
    However power is not always "what it is" While its very useful for a lot of things there are myths around it as well. For example anyone who has used power meters will know that when pedalling on the road the reality is that power is all over the placing and changing up to 100 watts or more by just hitting a hill or accelerating out of a corner, (which obviously is the reality of cycling) so most people use it on average, which accounts for the watts jumping around and brings them to an average which is not really "what it is" or appears to be

Heart rate is very useful for endurance training

RPE is also very useful but power meters and heart rate monitors can help to understand RPE for someone who is just beginning to train.

Bottom line they are all useful if used correctly, and acceptance that none of them are perfect.

Agree that HR is not useful for short intervals
    However power is not always "what it is" While its very useful for a lot of things there are myths around it as well. For example anyone who has used power meters will know that when pedalling on the road the reality is that power is all over the placing and changing up to 100 watts or more by just hitting a hill or accelerating out of a corner, (which obviously is the reality of cycling) so most people use it on average, which accounts for the watts jumping around and brings them to an average which is not really "what it is" or appears to be

Heart rate is very useful for endurance training

RPE is also very useful but power meters and heart rate monitors can help to understand RPE for someone who is just beginning to train.

Bottom line they are all useful if used correctly, and acceptance that none of them are perfect.

Agree, but for specific Turbo sessions indoors a PM really comes into its own with the removal of wind, gradients etc. it is possible to train to very specific intervals at very specific power outputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I would rate RPE a little more highly than HR but only because I've trained with a PM the last year and have gotten to relate how I feel to figures I see in front of me.

For thresholds intervals around 10 minutes the feeling should be that this is hard and you just want it to finish. You know that if a gun was put to your head to keep it going for an extra 20 minutes you could but it is still hard. Your breathing should not be laboured. RPE 7/8

For 2/3 minutes intervals your breathing is laboured and for much of the last minute there is a bit of that feeling of wanting to die. RPE 9

Advertisement