Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the Gardai wrong?

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

That doesn't answer the question that girl asked them though. She doesn't mention contra flow or pedestrian streets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Agreed. What the Garda says is correct but he completely ignored what she was asking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I think in contra flow or pedestrian areas you still must use the cycle lane. The mandatory lane concept is gone for with flow lanes. I could be wrong too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,866 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they're only referring to cycle lanes on "pedestrian streets" and contra-flow lanes

in all other cases you don't have to use the cycle lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

My understanding is that you are not legally obliged to use the cycle lane, but, if you don't, you are either cycling on the path, which is illegal, or, cycling in the oncoming lane, which is illegal. Again, on a pedestrianised street, you can either cycle in the cycle lane legally, or, cycle on the pedestrianised portion, illegally, so although not mandatory to use the cycle lane in either case, it is the only legal option for cycling that particular route. It is not mandatory to use a cycle lane where legally there is an alternative (i.e. a normal road, with a cycle lane and a traffic lane)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Given the tone of her question, I can't see her reaction to that evasive Garda reply being anything other than "See! I knew it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Looks like the tweet was deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

oflahero wrote: »
    Given the tone of her question, I can't see her reaction to that evasive Garda reply being anything other than "See! I knew it."
    Remember that face when you are nearly ploughed into and have a woman frothing at the mouth screaming at you to get into the cycle lane and sure you don't pay road tax anyway...........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭buffalo

https://twitter.com/MicheleDoorbell/status/500194432722141184

Who wants to ask her which pedestrianised streets or contra-flow lanes in Blanch/Clonee does she see this happening on?

Also, I like this nifty auto-insert-twitter function!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Orion wrote: »
    Looks like the tweet was deleted.

Looks like it. Wasn't this question asked before of them on twitter and they gave the wrong i.e. old, answer. Got a bit of stick for it too.

edit: Actually, it's still there in her tweet history.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Yeah, don't know when that twitter embed came in, it is nice.

Also none of the tweets are deleted, don't know what you are on about.

Can we just close this thread now that there is a consensus on my actual question? It seems to be descending into bashing the twitter user(and I see some posters are taking to twitter itself as well to reply).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

buffalo wrote: »

Also, I like this nifty auto-insert-twitter function!

Its great. How does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

"perfectly fine cycle lanes" she says, I wonder which ones she's talking about?
    There are some perfectly fine cycle lines around alright but some of them lead you to an abrupt end or they make great parking spaces as I have found out with that perfectly fine cycling lane along the Braemor rd in Churchtown!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭buffalo

godtabh wrote: »
    Its great. How does it work?

Just insert the URL of the tweet as a url link, boards does the rest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I expect to see a flurry of them now

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

I woudl assume she means the road.

After getting abuse from a driver last week near Goatstown I had to laugh when i pointed to parked cars in the cycle lane right next to me. Between the cars, glass, grit and general bizarre layouts of cycle lanes I'd sooner ride on the road.

No one has a clue. I've been pulled over by a Gardai for cycling in the bus lane on the N11. To be fair he wasnt being a prick about it but still didnt know the law

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

With reference to one of the locations the tweeter mentions from cycling through Clonee in both directions the other day I can only point out the cycle lanes are currently pretty hazardous to a cyclist from accumulated sand, gravel, pebbles etc, which I presume is a result of recent downpours washing out material unto the roads which has inevitably accumulated in the gutter/cycle lanes.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

groovyg wrote: »
    "perfectly fine cycle lanes" she says, I wonder which ones she's talking about?
    There are some perfectly fine cycle lines around alright but some of them lead you to an abrupt end or they make great parking spaces as I have found out with that perfectly fine cycling lane along the Braemor rd in Churchtown!

this really grinds my gears. In particular a Blue Van that seems to think it's an extension of their driveway. What a beautiful cycle track though. It's extending down to Dodder Park Road as well and presumably alongside Bushy Park too towards Templeogue.

I have no problem using cycle lanes when they are in good nick, but refuse to if there's a chance it will damage my bike. Some terrible lanes around Dublin, and of course get beeped at a lot when choosing not to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

bwalsh1983 wrote: »
    I woudl assume she means the road.

After geting abuse from a driver last week near goatstown I had to laugh when i pointed to parked cars in the cycle lane right next to me. Between the cars, glass, grit and general bizarre layouts of cycle lands I'd sooner ride on the road.

i usually spin back from sandyford to goatstown/clonskeagh after a ride in the mountains.. there are cycle lanes but i tend to stay on the road as the lanes are destroyed in parts, covered in glass and id prefer to be with traffic rather than pedestrians when im going at a traffic pace, which is usually the case as its a nice slightly downhill stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yes, always use our fine cycle-lanes! :pac:

2z4zuxf.jpg
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Yes, always use our fine cycle-lanes! :pac:

2z4zuxf.jpg
    :confused:

Its like the platform in Harry Potter... You get enough speed up you get transported to Mt. Ventoux....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Also none of the tweets are deleted, don't know what you are on about.

but sure you can't see them so how do you know. .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

I can see them just fine(I am not the twitter user) though. Did you click "Tweets and Replies" on their twitter profile?

Advertisement