Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small black flies invasion

Options
  • 15-08-2014 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have literally hundreds of these small black flies all over the outside wall of my shed. I've googled them and they appear to be Fever Flies.

Does anyone know what could be causing the huge amount of them to congregate on my shed? They weren't around last year.

Some of them also like sitting around the white pvc of my back door and windows.They make my skin crawl.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Its a bit late in the year for any numbers of fever fly. There are many small black flies. Only a picture can help identify these particular ones and what would cause them in a particular location.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Thanks for the reply. My other half actually hosed down the shed earlier so most of them are gone but a few have come back (nothing compared to what was there earlier though).

Here are two pictures - one of the shed wall and one of a fly up close.

Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Thanks for the reply. My other half actually hosed down the shed earlier so most of them are gone but a few have come back (nothing compared to what was there earlier though).

Here are two pictures - one of the shed wall and one of a fly up close.

Thanks for the info!

At the bottom left of the shed wall is where a rockery used to be. We pulled out the stones a few minths ago, so what's left is just muck and small stones. Also, over the grey wall (out of shot) is a big tree which hangs over the wall....but this was here last year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Yep, 1000's of the little buggers round here in east Mayo too. Been here for a couple of weeks. They are attracted to white as my white walls and windows are covered. The Swallows are having a great feast. :)

TT

Advertisement