Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sore Chest Muscles for a few weeks now

Options
  • 15-08-2014 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently changed my program from 12 reps, 3 set, super-sets to more weight with 5 reps, 5 sets and noticed pains in my upper chest whenever I squeeze my chest muscles. It is not sore to touch, although it is a bit sensitive when I flex.

I stopped lifting weights (I tried a pull-up to test it and this exercise caused the most amount of pain) and went back jogging for the last month. There is still a pain in my chest at certain times when I bend down to reach for something or when I twist around.

I was going to go to the doctor to get it checked out, but my health insurance didn't kick in until a couple of weeks ago (in case I needed an MRI) and I wanted to wait and see if it went away. It is not too bad now and I might start back lifting again next week.

Has anyone else had symptoms like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Blackpanther95

You eating properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Squatman

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone else had symptoms like this?

Nope.

Could be a range of things from muscle pain, cracked rib, torn intercostal muscle, torn muscle or tendons etc. and like wise, it would depend on how the pain manifests itself, dull, sharp, burning, stabbing, aching etc.
    Only advice you will get here is to go to docs. PS. dont put money in front of health

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

You eating properly?

Ye have always been a good eater. High metabolism so I eat quite a bit. No processed foods, a lot of oats, chicken and fish.
    Squatman wrote: »
    Nope.

Could be a range of things from muscle pain, cracked rib, torn intercostal muscle, torn muscle or tendons etc. and like wise, it would depend on how the pain manifests itself, dull, sharp, burning, stabbing, aching etc.
    Only advice you will get here is to go to docs. PS. dont put money in front of health

Ye, good point - I was waiting to see if it went away. It almost gone now - I might try lifting again this week and if I feel any type of strain I will stop and get it checked out.

Squatman wrote: »
    Nope.

Lol I was about to bro-science this, but ye probably best to head to the doctor. 14 days is the longest I've gone being sore and that was back after my very first sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

More than likely a tweak. My recommendation would be to skip a doctor, and go to a very good physio. Because if it is a muscle tweak your doc will tell you to go a physio and take some anti-inflams. If it is anything more serious the physio will recommend you to go to a doctor anyway, but more than likely the physio will be dealing with it there and then.

Depending on the grade of tear (1 to 3, 1 being a mild tweak) it can definately last that long. I tore a calf muscle a month ago and it still hurts and requires foam rolling and icing every day. Unfortunately my routines don't allow a proper rest period for it to recover but it's getting there. Some tears I've had go away after 3 days though. As I said really depends on what you've done to it.

Anyway, yeah, can't recommend a good physio enough. If you're in the Dublin area I'd recommend the pearse street physio, the lads in there are top notch.

• Advertisement

Ye, I think I'll book a physio - still sore when I squeeze my chest muscles together.

Didn't book the physio and tried lifting again this week. Did a soft run on Monday with only 2 sets and felt no strain. Did a full run of 5x5 yesterday and today I feel fine. So maybe it was just a strain that needed a month or so of rest to recuperate. Next time, I won't waste time and head straight to the physio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

happened to me when i changed too...i could especially feel it if i was lifting my hands over my head...my advice would be plenty of protein to repair the damage and lower the weights until it goes as your continuously doing damage on top of damage...also never under estimate a good decent stretch before a session, can do wonders

happened to me when i changed too...i could especially feel it if i was lifting my hands over my head...my advice would be plenty of protein to repair the damage and lower the weights until it goes as your continuously doing damage on top of damage...also never under estimate a good decent stretch before a session, can do wonders

Good advice - my protein intake was always quite low as I was never lifting too much and doing a good bit of cardio so I assumed I didn't need too much. Also I eat fish for lunch everyday and chicken for dinner - but I may have to start taking my whey protein shakes again.

How would you go about stretching your chest muscles prior to and after training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Good advice - my protein intake was always quite low as I was never lifting too much and doing a good bit of cardio so I assumed I didn't need too much. Also I eat fish for lunch everyday and chicken for dinner - but I may have to start taking my whey protein shakes again.

How would you go about stretching your chest muscles prior to and after training?

Being honest I was never thought a routine for stretching but what works for me is standing in a door frame and arms out and move forward slowly until you feel the stretch...both arms should be the same height...I do this with a clock formation...11 and 1...10and 2...9 and 3 and so forth...hold for about 15 seconds...or you could get someone to stand behind you and pull your arms back but it's up to you...good luck,hope your chest clears up and you start getting the results you want

• Advertisement

Being honest I was never thought a routine for stretching but what works for me is standing in a door frame and arms out and move forward slowly until you feel the stretch...both arms should be the same height...I do this with a clock formation...11 and 1...10and 2...9 and 3 and so forth...hold for about 15 seconds...or you could get someone to stand behind you and pull your arms back but it's up to you...good luck,hope your chest clears up and you start getting the results you want

When you say arms out, are you pressing against the other side of the frame or just out in front of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

When you say arms out, are you pressing against the other side of the frame or just out in front of you?

Sounds like this: hold your arms out either side of you and walk through the door. Arms catch on the frame and moving your body forward generates the stretch.

ye, thats a great stretch, when I have a training partner, I do one I learned before: you both stand back-to-back and interlock arms (backs touching), then take it in turns: one of you leans forward and basically stretches your partner's back. Great stretch for the upper body.

Advertisement