Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 Tablet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

gman2k wrote: »
    What do you fine folks think of this W8 tablet?
    http://www.dx.com/p/cube-iwork8-8-ips-windows-8-quad-core-tablet-pc-w-2gb-ram-32gb-rom-wi-fi-bluetooth-black-338475#.U-28X5Q1iPw

I need a new tablet as the cheapo android one I bought before was crap.
    I'm worried about apps though with a W8 version.

Looks good from the spec, but who knows regarding the quality. I have a dell venue 8 pro, its a mixed bag. Speed wise its fantastic, its smoother than a i5 win 8 laptop i have. Browsing is generally very good, but some sites are hard to navigate on a 8" screen. Flash sites work perfectly though, no half baked mobile versions. Desktop mode is very usuable, you can do stuff in office, just not very fast. You can also hookup a mouse and keyboard and use it as a full pc, just with a small screen.

Appwise though win 8 is pretty pants, some of the key ones are there, but theres no where near the range you have on android or apple.

One thing though, those tablets can techincally also run android faster than a nexus 7 2013, but it can be tough finding drivers to load it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

gman2k wrote: »
    What do you fine folks think of this W8 tablet?
    http://www.dx.com/p/cube-iwork8-8-ips-windows-8-quad-core-tablet-pc-w-2gb-ram-32gb-rom-wi-fi-bluetooth-black-338475#.U-28X5Q1iPw

I need a new tablet as the cheapo android one I bought before was crap.
    I'm worried about apps though with a W8 version.

I had a Cube Android tablet previously and was very happy with the build quality, nothing to complain about at all.

This one looks good for the price but will inevitably get stopped by customs for VAT and duty and an Post's €6 processing fee which will push the price up, I'm guessing around €175 in total. Still well below an Acer Encore 2 which will cost about €230 or so from Amazon.

Would appreciate your feedback if you go ahead with the Cube, I have been considering a Windows tablet myself and was thinking towards an Aspire Switch 10 which although bigger and with a detachable keyboard would be more like twice the price of the Cube

invest4deepvalue.com

bazwaldo posted this link over on bargain alerts:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VOYO-A1-MINI-Capacitive-Baytrail-T-Bluetooth4-0/dp/B00L7O9PIG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408612128&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+tablet

I've never heard of the brand, but at £119 fulfilled by Amazon it seems like a better proposition than buying direct from China.

Various unboxings and review vids available on youtube.

Seems like all the Chinese tablet manufacturers are coming out with Win 8.1 tablets at the moment.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Do-more wrote: »
    bazwaldo posted this link over on bargain alerts:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VOYO-A1-MINI-Capacitive-Baytrail-T-Bluetooth4-0/dp/B00L7O9PIG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408612128&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+tablet

I've never heard of the brand, but at £119 fulfilled by Amazon it seems like a better proposition than buying direct from China.

Various unboxings and review vids available on youtube.

Hmm that's pretty tempting. I bought a Venue 8 Pro last year but it ended up being seized by the little fella :p so been keeping half an eye out for a replacement.

Cheers for the heads-up!
    Seems like all the Chinese tablet manufacturers are coming out with Win 8.1 tablets at the moment.

Yea, MSFT making Windows free for devices under 9" will have a big impact I'd say

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yea, MSFT making Windows free for devices under 9" will have a big impact I'd say
    Ah, that explains it and also helps explain the bigger than normal price jump when you move up to a 10inch tablet.

Any guinea pig to try this one out? :D

I'm about to start a new training course and interested in this for note taking.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Are there any tablets in this price range that support charging via micro USB cable? I've had bad experiences with these fragile looking tiny charging pins and its a bit inconvenient hauling around a non-standard charger everywhere.

It'd great that windows tablets are getting this cheap though. There's definitely one on my Christmas shopping list!

Advertisement