Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to shut down Google

Options
  • 15-08-2014 5:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Keep getting a message on my phone about google play..

Is it they're way of getting around the new privacy laws?

"Google Play services is used to update Google apps and apps from Google Play.
    This component provides core functionality like authentication to your Google services, synchronized contacts, access to all the latest user privacy settings, and higher quality, lower-powered location based services.
    Google Play services also enhances your app experience. It speeds up offline searches, provides more immersive maps, and improves gaming experiences.
    Apps may not work if you uninstall Google Play services."

In other words, you MUST have it in order for your phone to work..

The only "experience' is a **** one with google trying to steal my info and shutting off my my mobile because I refuse to update..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Not sure if troll.

Not troll if sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

dubscottie wrote: »

This component provides core functionality like authentication to your Google services, synchronized contacts, access to all the latest user privacy settings, and higher quality, lower-powered location based services.
    Google Play services also enhances your app experience. It speeds up offline searches, provides more immersive maps, and improves gaming experiences.

The only "experience' is a **** one with google trying to steal my info and shutting off my my mobile because I refuse to update..

What exactly is it that you think is going to happen? You might want to get rid of your current phone and get an iphone or a windows phone if you are so scared of google. You might also want to ensure that you don't have a gmail account and are using bing as your search engine. Don't use youtube either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Just google "google", the will 'xplode.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

If you have a windows phone you need windows marketplace. If you have an ihphone you need the apple app store. It's the same on nearly every phone.

If you want to can root yours and remove every trace of google, but if you do, you won't be able to get updates from google.

Here's how it works, you bought a google phone, with google **** installed, and so you have to use google ****.

Same with PC's. If you don't want to use microsoft, then install linux. just don't complain when you find it impossible to find programs for it.

What info of yours is particularly important?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The Illuminati want to know where you are so they can keep track of you and beam subliminal messages direct to your brain but also listen to your conversations so they can correct you if they hear you talking, for example, about wanting to vote for a certain politician that's not in line with The Elite's objective.

Do what I, and other non-sheeple, have done; Join our own phone network of paper cups and string. It's a bit messy and tends to trip us up but, by golly, it ensures that The Occult can't hear us talk about the truth while everyone else is asleep.

But don't join that guy Pluto's string network though, as some of us think he's a shill for Big Pharma when he mentioned Nurofen helped him with some pain before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

And the toaster's been laughing at me...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Funnily enough google are one of the few companies that I don't actually mind having my data.

I mean considering all that google provide for free with very few strings attached (gmail, maps etc) and the lengths I have read of them trying to actively deter government requests for data and so on.

You actually get relevant, useful ads out of google as well for your information too.

As opposed to something like facebook where you get... umm.. to talk to your friends.

And they are pretty trigger happy with the aul third party marketeers having access to your information and all that.

I dunno, call me naive, but I trust google a hell of a lot more than facebook or any other big data company.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

my gmail app won't work anymore so I agree with OP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Wow OP, maybe you just shouldn't use a mobile phone if you don't understand how they work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

What info of yours is particularly important?

Somethings important if they want it so bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

You're kidding, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I don't have google play up to date on my phone and its works perfectly. In fact, lots of the apps I use are not up to date and they still function fine. I tend to just batch update every few months when I am at home and using the broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Be original op Start a lets shut down google fb page

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭paulbok

SeaDaily wrote: »
    What exactly is it that you think is going to happen? You might want to get rid of your current phone and get an iphone or a windows phone if you are so scared of google. You might also want to ensure that you don't have a gmail account and are using bing as your search engine. Don't use youtube either.

And stay away from Barrow St.

Google currently manage all aspects of my life, I need Google to function. So absolutely no shutting down Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

TheZohan wrote: »
    Just google "google", the will 'xplode.

Reported, even suggesting this is concentrated danger.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Google Play Services is Googles attempt to deal with the fragmentation issues that resulted from so many versions of Andriod on so many ****ty handsets.

It includes a lot of the new functionality in Googles core apps. As a result most of the latest android updates since Jelly Bean don't bring a whole lot of new functionality just under the hood stuff.

If you don't like it switch to Cyanogenmod or something.

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Somethings important if they want it so bad!

Well obviously. Most of their revenue comes from advertising and they make more as they improve their targeting. I'm more than willing to have targeted ads in exchange for their services. But then, I would say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Tin Foil hats, get your Tin Foil hats here now, no money accepted only bad poems or cookies, Get your Tin Foil hats now. Protect yourself from the evil corporations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Tin Foil hats, get your Tin Foil hats here now, no money accepted only bad poems or cookies, Get your Tin Foil hats now. Protect yourself from the evil corporations.

I just run a basic non-smart phone. Saves a fortune in tinfoil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

To succeed in shutting down effectively, we'll all have to do this

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001350.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

bluewolf wrote: »
    my gmail app won't work anymore so I agree with OP

It's ok everyone, it's working again

Nothing to see here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

OP just put on a tinfoil hat, you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

OP, if you don't want to use youtube to find out how to make a tinfoil hat, (youtube is owned by google) then why not head over to vimeo. good lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Grayson wrote: »
    If you have a windows phone you need windows marketplace. If you have an ihphone you need the apple app store. It's the same on nearly every phone.

Except windows and apple don't sign you up to multiple platform including feckin google+ Which does my head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

bluewolf wrote: »
    It's ok everyone, it's working again

Nothing to see here

I was worried SICK!

gugleguy wrote: »
    OP, if you don't want to use youtube to find out how to make a tinfoil hat, (youtube is owned by google) then why not head over to vimeo. good lad.

Or duckduckgo. Heard that's where the anons go to be all "leet" and do teh intarnets.... and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Tinfoil hats are a ruse by the big companies; they designed it as a foil for their plots and the people think it will protect them from the plots! Oh, the ironing!

• Advertisement

catallus wrote: »
    Tinfoil hats are a ruse by the big companies; they designed it as a foil for their plots and the people think it will protect them from the plots! Oh, the ironing!

...it's delicious! Just don't get the 'own brand'. It's ok for low frequencies. For ultimate protection, get some layered foil. Ribbed for your probe-free pleasure.

Advertisement