Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA question

Options
  • 14-08-2014 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

I think this might have been answered before. Anyway I studied the CCNA back in 2009. Anyway I want to go for the cert again, seemingly it has changed in September 2013.

I found out the test I need to take is the 200-120 exam. If I pass this exam will my cert be called CCNA Routing and Switching or is it still CCNA?

I am self studying for this as I have access to the Cisco Alumni there are a few new topics just wondering if they are easy or hard. Am I better going and reading from start to finish and doing all the labs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

The current name for the cert is 'CCNA Routing and Switching', presumably to differentiate it from the numerous other CCNA tracks that have been introduced and have become popular in recent years. In fact, even old 'CCNA' certifications are now referred to as 'CCNA Routing and Switching' on Cisco's cert tracker.

If the last time you studied for the CCNA was 5 years ago, I'd recommend going through everything from start to finish. Not only will you need the refresher, but there seems to have been a good bit added over the years. I see some topics in the current exams that I was studying for the CCNP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Well I don't mind reading over all the stuff once it is valid.

This seems to have appeared in my course contents folder on Netacad. No idea what it means?
    The Alumni CCENT curriculum is available to Cisco Networking Academy alumni who completed the first two or three courses of the CCNA curriculum, including CCNA Discovery or CCNA Exploration. The CCENT curriculum includes the first two CCNA Routing and Switching courses, which align with the current Cisco CCENT certification. This course is provided in English only and includes course chapters and quizzes. It does not include any additional assessments.

Is this CCENT above the CCNA R&S ?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Fitzinho

TallGlass wrote: »
    Well I don't mind reading over all the stuff once it is valid.

This seems to have appeared in my course contents folder on Netacad. No idea what it means?

Is this CCENT above the CCNA R&S ?

No, it's below it. If you take the CCENT exam and pass you are CCENT certified and half way to CCNA R&S. Take a second exam to gain the CCNA RS

Fitzinho wrote: »
    No, it's below it. If you take the CCENT exam and pass you are CCENT certified and half way to CCNA R&S. Take a second exam to gain the CCNA RS

So is there basically ,

CCENT
    CCNA R&S
    CCNP

Or is ther a cert inbetween higher than the R&S ?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Fitzinho

TallGlass wrote: »
    So is there basically ,

CCENT
    CCNA R&S
    CCNP

Or is ther a cert inbetween higher than the R&S ?

Pretty much right although there are many other certs in the area, all of which re certify certs at the same level and lower

Look here:
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/index.html

• Advertisement

Fitzinho wrote: »
    Pretty much right although there are many other certs in the area, all of which re certify certs at the same level and lower

Look here:
    Pretty interesting.

If I am to self study, I have access to Cisco Netacad for the course I took in 2007-2009. Anyway if I take the R&S exam is there much need to focus on these too topics?

Network Fundamentals
    Accessing the WAN

When I say focus I mean I will read over them but should I place much time on them and instead focus it more on the Routing and Switching aspects of the content.

I got a book delivered today from Amazon. Cisco Press turned out to be two books.

ICDN 1 100-101
    ICDN 2 200-101

Got my access to the curriculum online so have packet tracer set up.

Anyone got a reasonable time frame that would work for studying and test? I was thinking maybe January.

Anyone got any ideas on what else to be studying? I would like to go back to college next year or would I be better going onto do the CCNP? Would it be easier to get a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

I would go through the whole course, a lot of new material. A bigger focus on IPv6, for example. If you are going to work on it full-time the Jan would be fairly realistic, considering you have done it before.
    Also investigate GNS, it's free router software emulator. Well worth having for ICND 2.
    Think about doing a FETAC course, plenty of level 5 courses going in the Further Education sector, some of the colleges have a direct route into 3rd level, with graduates pretty much guaranteed a place. Not too late to get on a course....
    Regardless, any education you do is a great investment.

Just to bring this thread up again.

My uncle dropped me down some equipment.

1 3com switch 3300
    1 Cisco router 2520
    1 Cisco router 4000

Any ideas on information tried Googling for some info can't find much tryna find out what the stuff can do, year of manufacture etc..

Advertisement