Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generalisations/Funny notions/ideas people have

Options
  • 14-08-2014 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

1. Science people are weird, anti-social nerds.
    In work today I was chatting away to one of the new girls and she was talking about her sister. I asked her what her sister worked at and she responded with:
    'Oh she did biomedical science and works in a lab for a pharma company but she is not like science people at all. She would talk to you.'

:confused: This lady has absolutely no sense of humour, so it wasn't even a joke.

Me: My boyfriend studied science...he's a lab rat currently'
    Your wan: Oh, oh really, how is he getting on?
    Me: I wouldn't know, he must be one of the weird ones, I never talk to him.
    She went bright red and tried to laugh it off.

2. Boards/Meetup/Reddit - Are they dating websites?
    On several occasions, I have got the response:
    Oh yeah, meetup/boards/reddit, is that like a dating site?
    :confused:
    I know some of the meetup groups are specifically for singles but I would say over 70% of them are just for activities and interests. The amount of people that are baffled why I'd even consider meeting up with strange serial killer inter web people is kinda shocking.
    In relation to boards, sure why would you spend your time on a message board if not to pick up hot dates? There's no married/in a relationship/taken people on boards, everyone knows that.

3. Everyone on the internet is a serial killer/rapist
    My mam actually had a complete spaz attack when my sister told her I was a boardsie. Her response:
    Oh god now that's awful dangerous. I was watching crimecall or crimewatch (or some ****) and a girl went missing and it was because she was messaging this guy in a chatroom. Please tell me you don't put up personal information. They can track, you know that? And the gubberment has all your information and your life is ruined, yadda, yadda, yadda
    I sort of zoned out when she started talking.....above may not be exactly what she said.

4. Sci-fi/Fantasy/Gaming is for kids
    If you're over the age of 10 and still interested in any of the above, you are a sad ass, apparently.

Does anyone else encounter people with odd notions/views about certain things/groups of people? Or even off the wall bat-sh*t crazy ones? The above are the ones I have heard a good bit by people being 100% serious.

Comments

If someone is very clever then they obviously have no social skills because they grew up studying alone in their bedrooms instead of getting drunk every night, like normal people.

Pretty women are neurotic.

Nice guys finish last.

Accountants are interesting.

There is no such thing as a platonic friendship.

Vegetarian food tastes just as good as meatytarian food.

Medicine only works if it tastes foul (that one's true).

If you eat your crusts, your hair will grow curly (lies).

Nobody notices that spot on your nose as much as you do.

Men get better with age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

That people in Roscommon are inbred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

That people in Roscommon are inbred and shag sheep

FYP. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

3. Everyone on the internet is a serial killer/rapist

That one is bang on, in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

That shagging sheep is wrong.

• Advertisement

wazky wrote: »
    That shagging sheep is wrong.

Yes it is and I have no idea why Roscommon people do it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Gaming is for kids

Actually that's true. Anyone over a certain age still gaming needs a life. A 30 year old asked me last year which I preferred, an XBox or a Playstation, and I said 'neither, I'm 42 years of age!'

Seriously, at a certain point in life you have to give up the toys. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Yes it is and I have no idea why Roscommon people do it. :confused:

It's not, and it's not confined to the fine people of Roscommon either.

mod9maple wrote: »
    Actually that's true. Anyone over a certain age still gaming needs a life. A 30 year old asked me last year which I preferred, an XBox or a Playstation, and I said 'neither, I'm 42 years of age!'

You can grow older without having to grow old you know. Nothing wrong with having toys and playing games.

Ask anyone who plays golf or builds models or plays chess.

I still play pokemon and I just finished plants vs zombies. I go through phases and I'm never gonna stop and I don't care what you think so HA!

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    You can grow older without having to grow old you know. Nothing wrong with having toys and playing games.

Ask anyone who plays golf or builds models or plays chess.

I FCUKING LOVE TRAIN SETS!!!!!!!!

wazky wrote: »
    It's not, and it's not confined to the fine people of Roscommon either.

Fine people of Roscommon, any more jokes? Haha.

The Santa Express around the Xmas tree is my favourite cheesy decoration.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's just a well there are no girls on the internet. I wouldn't want them reading this sort of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

God, you should meet my other half, absolute model train nut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

That wrestling fans aren't aware it's fake.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually that's true. Anyone over a certain age still gaming needs a life. A 30 year old asked me last year which I preferred, an XBox or a Playstation, and I said 'neither, I'm 42 years of age!' Where's me cardigan and slippers
    FYP. :D

One of the things that marks out modern humans is our long, pretty much never ending search for the novelty and our ability to retain juvenile characteristics throughout our lives. "Maturing" early marked out our ancestors. They didn't play, didn't imagine beyond childhood to nearly the degree we did. That's how gods and ghosts and theology and philosophy and science came to fruition with us. Neandertal folks were capable and clever(had bigger brains than us and were around for longer than we have), but they never did this, or rather did it in limited ways. Play is a juvenile thing in other animals. A way for them to figure out the world. When they become adults they stop as they have figured out their world. We never stop, because we're always figuring out the world and possible worlds beyond it. And that's why we won.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Apparently if you find an idea offensive or distasteful, you're choosing to be offended.

People have a right to be dicks.

Old people are all conservative, closed-minded old farts.

Young people will change the world (once all the old people die off, while not realising that when that happens, they become the old people :D)

Everyone else is doing it wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Apparently if you find an idea offensive or distasteful, you're choosing to be offended.
    Most of the time you are.
    People have a right to be dicks.
    They do and you have a "right" to challenge them.
    Old people are all conservative, closed-minded old farts.
    Many are, so I can understand the confusion.
    Young people will change the world (once all the old people die off, while not realising that when that happens, they become the old people :D)
    True dat.
    Everyone else is doing it wrong.
    True dat.

Another one; opinions can never be wrong. Had this one spelled out like this on this very site recently. Ehhh no. Opinions are not facts. You may believe your opinion is, but it's entirely subjective, therefore is wide open to scrutiny. Scrutiny is not a personal attack on you, but an attack on your subjective reality.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

That people in Roscommon are inbred
    As a foreigner i think ive heard that about every county...

:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Just because I smoke weed doesn't mean I like Bob Marley! :mad: I mean, I do. But it's just a coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Just another form of entertainment. Absolutely no difference in playing a game and watching a film :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

people who play pokemon are cool.
    people who only have the Irish channels are cool.
    people who are vegetarian are confrontational
    polish women go for scrawny guys with the drug user look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

and? read a book is it? pipe slippers that sorta thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

A

I'll never give up my knitting needles!!!

NEVER!!!!!!!!!

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

That Dublin is better than Cork.

It's all lies. :p:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

Wibbs wrote: »
    Most of the time you are.

They do and you have a "right" to challenge them.

Many are, so I can understand the confusion.

True dat.

True dat.

Another one; opinions can never be wrong. Had this one spelled out like this on this very site recently. Ehhh no. Opinions are not facts. You may believe your opinion is, but it's entirely subjective, therefore is wide open to scrutiny. Scrutiny is not a personal attack on you, but an attack on your subjective reality.

in fairness opinions can never be wrong, thats what makes it an opinion, someones thoughs on paper/out loud versus fact: a verifiable proved truth

on_my_oe wrote: »
    As a foreigner i think ive heard that about every county...

:P

In fairness it's kinda true. We have a very small gene pool.

MS.ing wrote: »
    in fairness opinions can never be wrong, thats what makes it an opinion, someones thoughs on paper/out loud versus fact: a verifiable proved truth

Opinions can be wrong and fcuking stupid as well.

It's my opinion that the sky is orange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That people who watch wrestling don't know it's fake.

Comics are for kids.

Advertisement