Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosedale House

Options
  • 14-08-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all

I have recently gotten engaged and have started looking at venues. I want a casual laid back type of wedding with a buffet or BBQ style reception. Myself and my boyfriend went to see Rosedale House today and absolutely loved it. It is exactly what we are looking for. The only problem is the price. They're looking for over 4 grand for the house rental alone and the catering, drinks reception etc is all extra. I'm only new to this venue hunting game so I'm wondering if anyone has gotten married there before and did you manage to get a good price or would people consider this a good / bad price for a reception. Also if anyone has gotten married in or around Dublin in a similar venue I'd appreciate any info you might have.

Thanks ��

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

magsj26 wrote: »
    Hi all

I have recently gotten engaged and have started looking at venues. I want a casual laid back type of wedding with a buffet or BBQ style reception. Myself and my boyfriend went to see Rosedale House today and absolutely loved it. It is exactly what we are looking for. The only problem is the price. They're looking for over 4 grand for the house rental alone and the catering, drinks reception etc is all extra. I'm only new to this venue hunting game so I'm wondering if anyone has gotten married there before and did you manage to get a good price or would people consider this a good / bad price for a reception. Also if anyone has gotten married in or around Dublin in a similar venue I'd appreciate any info you might have.

Thanks ��

What is your budget per person?

One of my neighbours went to a wedding in rosedale 7 years ago and it looked fab! They had a pig on a spit. We were afraid to look at it because I couldn't find much feedback and found some negative info when I googled! I emailed them and they wouldn't give me any info which kind of annoyed me as I really wanted a guideline.

I found that in the places that have rental fees, the food etc is cheaper so it ends up being the same per person as a similar package in a similar venue.

Ballybeg house is meant to be fab but was too far for us (ignore their price list online!!!).

I enquired about trudder lodge in wicklow, I can't remember why we never viewed it but it might of been a numbers thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭Milly33

Congratulations to ye!! Hope the engagement was loverly...

We are kind of doing the same thing as you, renting a place for the weekend and sorting out all the rest of the things. €4,000 doesn't seem to bad but it all depends on how many rooms are there, and is it for the weekend of how long is the rental for..

We went from anything from €2,000 for the weekend to €8,000.. A few tips we got for asking questions too with rental like this was

what exactly you have to supply down to tea and coffee and loo roll.
    Is the electret extra on top of what ye pay, and heating or is in all inclusive of the price.
    Can they recommend local people to work the event.
    And will they be there on the day for any help with any issues that may come up

We went looking in Cork and we found there wasn't much bargaining with the venues especially ones like these. The hotels differ some bargained but have to say most did not...

just looked at it there and tis loverly!!! Have a look at a few other places and see if you come across anything else ye like there should be lots of options in Dublin. Again we were the same looked at out venue and went weak, then thought wow this is pricey so went and looked at loads more and none compared to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

As mentioned Ballybeg and Trudder would be the closest comparitive options. Other nice venues in Dublin would be the Angler's rest and Beaufield mews.

sweetie wrote: »
    As mentioned Ballybeg and Trudder would be the closest comparitive options. Other nice venues in Dublin would be the Angler's rest and Beaufield mews.

I completely forgot about beaufield mews! We enquired 2 years ago and they did a great package for €75 per person plus 10% service charge. There is no accommodation but they said bride and groom stay in St. Helens. I think the Stillorgan park hotel do cheaper rooms for guests.

• Advertisement

I saw Anglers rest of Don't tell the bride thought it looked lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sadler32

Congradulations on your engagement.

Me an my fiancee are getting married next june. Rosedale was our first stop, as we wanted the same relaxed, manor house style wedding.
    I really liked the appearance and then once I met the manager I was abit dissapointed. Once he started showing us around I started to warm to the place but didnt fall in love with it. The way the bedrooms are decorated, I have been to each of those cities and the rooms didnt remind me of any of them. As a bloke I did love the mirror/TVs......

Then once we started talking cost it was crazy 4k for the house and then the out buildings cost extra. We asked him to get the caterer to contact us so we could look at the cost of food. He kept pushing buffet, which tell mes that everything done off site, but I wanted a sit down meal anyway. I didnt hear from him for about two months and then he asked if I had got the email he sent. I never did get an email.

We went to a few other places including Brooklodge, Rathsallagh House, Tinakilly, before finding our perfect 10 bedroom manor house.
    We are practically all sorted, just the final few things to get but the main things are all booked.

Cant wait for the special day to arrive....

I got the impression that Rosedale only wanted high profile events like book launches and photoshoots etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DollyDumDrops

Hi Sadler32,

do you mind if I asked you where you booked in the end? like you and the OP I'm looking for something similar, we viewed Trudder and Tinakilly but both are out of our price range, Rosedale was next on our list only we read about the cost here.

Thanks!

We actually booked Balyna house. I think the basic package is 48.50 per head for food. They seem fairly booked up, when are you getting married?

We looked at all the venues and some were ridiculous. Tinakilly wanted 5000 euro exclusivity fee, even though were would have taken all 52 bedrooms for 2 nights..... The fee was so that people couldnt walk in to use their restrauant, I doubt they take 5000 a night. And worst bit was she said in the recession the exclusivity fee was 1000 euro. I only viewed the place at christmas, and maybe I am wrong but I think we still are in the recession.
    Rathsallagh wanted 200euro for a taxi service, even if you didnt use the taxi, crazy....

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

The packages in Moyvalley /Balyna House is very reasonable in my opinion. They don't be long jumping up in price depending on what food you pick for your meal, but there is a great selection that would fit most budgets.

Balyna House is a lovely venue. Although, I'm getting married there in December, so a biased!

• Advertisement

Sadler32 wrote: »
    We actually booked Balyna house. I think the basic package is 48.50 per head for food. They seem fairly booked up, when are you getting married?

We looked at all the venues and some were ridiculous. Tinakilly wanted 5000 euro exclusivity fee, even though were would have taken all 52 bedrooms for 2 nights..... The fee was so that people couldnt walk in to use their restrauant, I doubt they take 5000 a night. And worst bit was she said in the recession the exclusivity fee was 1000 euro. I only viewed the place at christmas, and maybe I am wrong but I think we still are in the recession.
    Rathsallagh wanted 200euro for a taxi service, even if you didnt use the taxi, crazy....

Gosh rathsallagh gave us an amazing quote and we didn't have to pay for taxi as we worked out we didn't need it! But price per head for was over €80 which was great deal for what we were getting.

Another venue that might be suitable for the OP is the mill house in Slane.
    http://themillhouse.ie

oh thanks Sadler32 an ilovespuds I'll check out Balyna House! sorry to hijack your thread magsj26!

Sadler32, in relation to Tinakilly house, when we viewed it the wedding coordinator wasn't there so we didn't find out the details of the package until later and at that point I was head over heels in love with it but even if you put the €5000 exclusivity fee and having to book all 52 rooms aside (my family are very local) we just couldn't justify the €120 a head! Tinakilly is lovely but for €120 a head we could get married in Powerscourt or Carton house.

we are looking at December 2015 so we do have plenty of time

Hi DolyDumDrops,

Yeah the only reason we were looking at it, was it would have tied in quite nicely, as I will be getting married in my Captains uniform and the history of the Captain Halpin owning the place etc. It would have been great. I just couldnt justify the money they were asking, and to be honest it wasnt really amazing..

Rathsallagh left us hanging around for an hour, and werent very helpful and the 160 euro a room was crazy.

Balyna house are giving us a great deal, and cant do enough to help. I like to be organised, they already know most of the way things will happen in June. My motto is "plan for the worst hope for the best", has always worked so far.
    Just have to get the little bits for the day.

The most annoying thing I think is how everything in Ireland is so expensive. The good deals are so hard to find. I was hoping to get everything for my wedding in Ireland.
    However I am bringing most stuff in from the US and the UK for a fraction of the cost. How does that work. Pay for shipping and the product, is cheaper then walking into a shop in Ireland and buying a Handmade Irish product.

Thanks Sadler32, have checked out Balyna House but is too small for our numbers, were looking at 120-140 people but might take a look at the hotel instead.

MagsJ26 - Places I've looked at that offer BBQ or Pig on a spit are Horetown House in Gorey, Tankardstown in Meath and Clonabreany House in Meath. I think they do what they called "festival" packages which is the BBQ and seem very cost efficient so might be worth a look.

Well you can have reception drinks in the house, then have the hotel for the meal.

We are inviting 100 people, so just fits, but hoping to have about 90... Turning out that we might have more people the day after for the bbq, lol. See what happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Millem wrote: »
    I completely forgot about beaufield mews! We enquired 2 years ago and they did a great package for €75 per person plus 10% service charge. There is no accommodation but they said bride and groom stay in St. Helens. I think the Stillorgan park hotel do cheaper rooms for guests.

Beaufield mews has one major problem. All music off at exactly midnight!

Advertisement