Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varroa Treatment

Options
  • 14-08-2014 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I'm a first year beekeeper - and my thoughts are turning to varroa treatment. My nuc queen (got 4 May) swarmed on 30 June - so I've two colonies; neither that big. I'll probably treat with apiguard; and try the shake test next year - Any tips on treatment? I know it has to get above 15C for the apiguard to be effective

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Put on an eke above the apiguard container , the bees don' like the smell of it
    , you will still have to give apibioxal at Christmas if you use apiguard

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Galvium Irredentum

Is there a treatment regimen that doesn't involve disturbing the colony in mid-Winter? - I know we often get mild weather in December; but anything is possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Galvium Irredentum

Randy Oliver's ScientificBeekeeping.com has good reading on the treatment options - I need to do some reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Currently the only ones approved in Ireland are

Bayvarol ( some beekeepers are showing resistance to the varroa from it depending on what part of the country you are in )
    Apiguard but you will have to use apibioxal over the Christmas period.
    MAQS strip in under a temporary licence the stock needs to be strong over 6 frames of brood , you need to give the bees another brood box or super over them the fumes are strong , its done in a week
    Apibioxal over the winter period ( but you need something now to knock down the current mites)

Treatments can be bought from Ben Harden in Wicklow or Paul O Sullivan Beekeeping Supplies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

@GI putting on oxalic in winter is very fast, did it the last two years and hives are opened and closed before bees know what's happening
    If I were you I would either go with bayvarol or apiguard now and go again with oxalic. Bayvarol is probably the easiest but apiguard will also help with overall hive health. But whichever you choose do it now and don't leave it roll on until September to start or else you'll be very late taking out bayvarol/apiguard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What treatments are people going with this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭victor8600

Danzy wrote: »
    What treatments are people going with this year?

I will not treat this year. The colonies were expanding well this year, there was no sign of deformed wings or any other disease. Also I have more hives than I need for the next year, so I can tolerate a potential loss of 30%-50% in winter. Varroa does not seem to be such a big problem as before anyway. I expect the lack of the treatment to make little difference.

Advertisement