Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Totally new to Carlow - housing.

Options
  • 14-08-2014 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Hi myself and a friend are going into to first year in Carlow and Neither of us have even been to Carlow .. (Passed through obviously but that's it)
    Were basically looking for a few tips regarding accommodation
    As neither if us drive we really need to live within about a 10 min walking distance to the college, what areas would this be?
    How much can we expect to pay per week etc (how much is too much to pay?)
    And any advice on finding a house for the two of us? (With other people like)
    Thanks !!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Congrats on getting a place in Carlow, its a great college!

First of all, I'd like to point you towards this thread, which will contain some of the information you need. Recently, the IT Carlow accommodation section has been updated with some other relevant info, which you can find here: IT Carlow Accommodation. It includes some stuff like walking distances from various areas, house rental sites like the ones in the other thread I linked you to and a contact for the accommodation officer for the college (note* they cannot help you with landlord related problems but will offer accommodation-related advice).

It should be fairly easy to find housemates, most houses will have people living there within the next two or three weeks so if you find somewhere through a rental site then you'll be grand (if you and your mate want to live in the same house, try make sure there are two rooms available in the house unless you're in Carraig Abhainn which allows room shares).

As for pricing? I've known of places as low as 50 euro a week up to 110 euro a week (you get what you pay for, most people I know would have been paying 80-95 a week). Rental prices will be on the websites anyway.

Best of luck finding somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 theresah1963

Anyone applied to Carlow IT this year 2014 and would like to car share in wellingtonbridge,Wexford area looking for lift as there is no direct link from these areas, or if I can get enough people together to get a bus organized

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

LoveLamps wrote: »
    Hi myself and a friend are going into to first year in Carlow and Neither of us have even been to Carlow .. (Passed through obviously but that's it)
    Were basically looking for a few tips regarding accommodation
    As neither if us drive we really need to live within about a 10 min walking distance to the college, what areas would this be?
    How much can we expect to pay per week etc (how much is too much to pay?)
    And any advice on finding a house for the two of us? (With other people like)
    Thanks !!

Usually places near the IT are in greater demand and hence more expensive so you're likely to have more options for less expensive (but more distant) accommodation if you get yourself a bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Wherever You look don't look in Laurelis, Sweeny park, etc.
    John's mill can be fine for students close. 160/week for 2 bed apartment, electric heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

I got a place in carraig abhainn for first year, anyone have any experience / advice ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement