Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No nonsense. Surely, for them.

Options
  • 14-08-2014 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I just received the second communication ever from my car insurance, No Nonsense. The first one being the letter containing the insurance disc, the second, two months later, says that there has been "a default" of a direct debit payment, and that "we [the insurance] have been unable to resolve this matter with you [me]".

Therefore, my insurance is invalid since August 9th.

Also, they make it clear they they won't "entertain any request to reinstate this insurance" blah blah blah.

- They never tried to contact me? No matter, I should have read their minds. All that matters is that the "matter" has not been "resolved". By itself I mean. Because I called them twice to ask them why they didn't take the money from my bank account either, but maybe they were distracted, they weren't ready to listen, and I didn't understand that.

- The 9th of August was last week, and the letter is dated 12th and delivered on the 14th? No matter either, in the end they couldn't get their money, so, if I were in an accident, maybe serious, between then and now, it's all my business, and I wasn't even worth enough for knowing it beforehand.

- They won't entertain any request to reinstate my policy. Oh no! What will I do, now that I can't be insured by No Nonsense? Where will I find another bunch of amateurs who will put my life in danger, damage my credit score, destroy my bonus score and treat me like a criminal, rather than ever picking up a phone, writing a letter, or sending an email? What will I do?

I think I'll start by asking a lawyer. Please offer suggestions, anything goes.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I just received the second communication ever from my car insurance, No Nonsense. The first one being the letter containing the insurance disc, the second, two months later, says that there has been "a default" of a direct debit payment, and that "we [the insurance] have been unable to resolve this matter with you [me]".

Therefore, my insurance is invalid since August 9th.

Also, they make it clear they they won't "entertain any request to reinstate this insurance" blah blah blah.

- They never tried to contact me? No matter, I should have read their minds. All that matters is that the "matter" has not been "resolved". By itself I mean. Because I called them twice to ask them why they didn't take the money from my bank account either, but maybe they were distracted, they weren't ready to listen, and I didn't understand that.

- The 9th of August was last week, and the letter is dated 12th and delivered on the 14th? No matter either, in the end they couldn't get their money, so, if I were in an accident, maybe serious, between then and now, it's all my business, and I wasn't even worth enough for knowing it beforehand.

- They won't entertain any request to reinstate my policy. Oh no! What will I do, now that I can't be insured by No Nonsense? Where will I find another bunch of amateurs who will put my life in danger, damage my credit score, destroy my bonus score and treat me like a criminal, rather than ever picking up a phone, writing a letter, or sending an email? What will I do?

I think I'll start by asking a lawyer. Please offer suggestions, anything goes.

My brother had a similar issue with FBD. He explained he would be making a complaint to the insurance ombudsman and they suddenly became exceptionally helpful and apologising profusely.

Apparently a letter notifying you about a pending policy cancellation needs to go by registered post. Either way, they reinstated the policy - he still made the complaint afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Try very hard to get this sorted out would be my advise. Because the last thing you want it to have to answer "Yes" to the question of whether or not you have had insurance cancelled when obtaining a quote in future.

Has there ever been any issues with payment before? How long was this going on before they took action? They dont usually cancel a policy for one missed payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ardenreds

Thank you both!

I called them a few days before the first payment was due to give them the details of a different bank account. Then I called them one week after the payment failed, and only then they told me the change would take 5 days to be made. I didn't hear from them at all and I was not home for a while, so I just assumed they would take the payment at some stage. Last week, on the 8th, they should have taken the second payment. But they took neither.

I sent them a letter to ask them to make sure my credit score and my insurance bonus won't be affected by their clerical mistakes, which I explained. I told them I don't want to be insured by them, and that I will contact the Ombudsman and a law firm in case their answer is unsatisfactory in any way. I welcomed a phone call.

If they don't call me hat in hands I'll try to muster some patience and speak to the next of their imbeciles over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I didn't hear from them at all and I was not home for a while, so I just assumed they would take the payment at some stage. Last week, on the 8th, they should have taken the second payment. But they took neither.

Did you not check that the payment had gone out? Why leave it to chance?

Every company is different with regards the time they take to process DD payment details. I changed back accounts last year and while some made the change with immediate effect, one company said it takes 30 days to update on their system. They should have informed you if there was going to be an issue so close to a payment date; most companies would not be able to process the new details in time for a payment to happen a few days later.

Of course they should have. And they should have tried to contact me in any way after that.And they should have informed me my policy was going to be discontinued before the date, not after, also. Grrrrrrr.

• Advertisement

My bank account was new and I had no internet access to it. Not being home and having moved recently I had too many things up in the air to even remember something like that, but I won't take any responsibility for this. When one of my clients is late paying I call them, and I write them. I don't simply hand them their ass and write them off.

They wouldn't, but they should tell me in advance, not after. They never ever rang OR wrote. I have done it before, but never so close to the date and I had no idea it took that long, and they weren't interested in telling me. If it was a "red flag" they should know IMMEDIATELY that the payment WILL fail and they should TELL ME.

Advertisement