Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a way to report an unwanted caller legally?

Options
  • 14-08-2014 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I composed this post and I noticed there's too much rant in it, so the TL;DR version:

I'm trapped with a recruiter who keeps calling me day and night, week days and weekends non-stop, even after explaining it to him so clearly to contact via email only, and NO phone calls for at least 30 times!

He has a NO CALLER ID number for his office, so if there's a few days of gap between his annoyance, and if I'm waiting for a phone call, I won't want to ignore and I pick it up, and the same story over and over.

He basically calls to check things (even the personal ones!!) with me so that he can send an email to me afterwards!! And on top of this, he's pretty rude in some of his conversations, although I'm doing my best to keep patient and polite with him and all of his nonsense.

I can't find a way of having all my information erased from their database, and I wonder if there's a legal way of addressing this problem, so that at least he stops calling me unwantedly early in the morning or during my weekend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would ring the company he works for and speak to manager requesting that all members of staff are told to contact you only by email. Make it clear to him that they do not have your consent to call you on the phone. Also mention that you have requested that the person who has been calling you has been told not to ring you. Ask them to remove your phone number from their database.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,347 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

He is calling you so often because he obviously works in a high pressure environment and is under pressure to make calls - to anyone.

One way to get rid of him is to play along and arrange an interview or phone call with a prospective employer, then tell them that you have no interest in working for them and only did the call/interview to get this pest off your back, that should sort them out.

Otherwise get the name of his manager and tell him/her to get the pr1ck off your case. You could also write to them threatening to sue them for harassment. Any kind of written communication should get them off your back.

Nuisance calls from recruitment agencies are nothing new, the usual way to get rid of them is to give them the name of someone else in your company who may be interested in moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Hiddden

Thanks @Cylemj; that's helpful, but I'm somewhat looking for a deeper solution! He has to learn to respect people's privacy which is already a resolved issue in nowadays's society! I've written down in my emails so so many times explaining why he should stop calling me, but that doesn't work. And the thing is he's taking good intervals to stalk and call in 3/6-months time to see if anything has changed and I keep getting trapped!

And just to entertain you a bit, I have played along and attended interviews with him/his client twice, and the first time, he showed up after half an hour of delay, with someone else's CV from the opposite sex, with their picture on their CV, trying to convince me that it is my CV and I have sent it to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Write a letter to his company, asking him to cease contact or you will complain to Gardai.

If that doesn't stop him, make a complaint of harassment to Gardai.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0026/sec0010.html#sec10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Three things you can do - tell the company that you are making a complaint to the Data Protection office as you requested they stop calling you more than 28 days ago, and they're still calling. http://www.askcomreg.ie/tell_us/cold_calls___a_quick_guide_to_preventing_unwanted_calls_from_direct_marketing_companies.235.LE.asp

At the same time, call or mail someone else in the company telling them you've change mobile number and you want them to update your details. Give a fake mobile number (check to make sure it's fake first).

You can then, a little later, request a copy of all the data they hold on you. You may have to pay a small fee for this. Check in that data that things are as you wish. https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Making-an-Access-Request/963.htm

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Data protection is 40 days. This is the correct legal route. I would also take the option of screaming F*CK OFF at the top of my voice, but that's just me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Just keep repeating everything he says and drive him mad or turn on the radio and leave it beside the phone and go for a cup of tea. He'll soon get fed up of it and take your name off the list

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

If you set up an interview with him for a client of his and don't turn up you will most likely be blacklisted on their database

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I would just ring the agency and ask to speak to a manager and explain that if this continues you'll make a complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Miaireland wrote: »
    I would ring the company he works for and speak to manager requesting that all members of staff are told to contact you only by email. Make it clear to him that they do not have your consent to call you on the phone. Also mention that you have requested that the person who has been calling you has been told not to ring you. Ask them to remove your phone number from their database.

This: Ask them to remove your phone number from their database and mention the data protection legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

What about "Please Pis5 off and DO NOT ring me again"...is that clear enough?

The "leave down the phone beside a country-and-western station" method has often worked for me, too.
    Make sure it's loud enough for your caller to enjoy while you go to the bathroom; take your time! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Ah sure if you're going to the loo you should bring the phone with you. Bit of splashing and straining might help.

Mmmmnnnnnnnuugghhhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Hiddden

daveohdave wrote: »
    Data protection is 40 days. This is the correct legal route. I would also take the option of screaming F*CK OFF at the top of my voice, but that's just me.

I would like that option as well, however I couldn't tolerate any further harassment, so I just sent the same content that I'd include in my screaming in an email, CCing the manager, and BCCing the info@ email addresses on Friday evening. Haven't heard anything back anymore! Poor bast&$%! (:

Advertisement