Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afraid of insulting shop owner?

Options
  • 14-08-2014 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Maybe this is silly, but are dress shop owners/staff insulted if you don’t like anything in their stock? It’s one of the reasons I’m not looking forward to shopping...I’m probably too polite, I hate leaving a shop empty handed if I feel like I’ve taken up the staffs time. :o Are they fazed by “sorry I don’t feel like any of your dresses suit me”???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

It's a shop - they can't force you to buy things. They may be disappointed if they don't make a sale, but if you don't like their stuff, don't buy it. It's a bit the same as if you were buying a car, and a salesman spends time showing you all the cars he has - you're not going to buy one you don't like just to keep him happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

They are well used to that! all vendors suppliers etc. would be.

Go shopping enjoy it and don't think your obliged in any way or feel under pressure to buy anything you dont want.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

"I'll have to have a think about it".
    I'm the same as you; very easy to talk me into buying sonething I only half like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I'm the same as you; very easy to talk me into buying sonething I only half like.

Just came across this thread. I have often been like this and convinced myself to buy something when I was not 100% sure. Sometimes regretted buying and sometimes not.

Considering it is such an important purchase make sure you go to about 2 or 3 places and consider your options before finally deciding no matter how much you like one in the first shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

You couldn't possibly buy a dress in every shop you went to. They're used to brides having a look. If you feel you should indulge them, at most just say they're lovely and you'll think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

"I'll have to think about it" is the retail code for "you will never see me again" :) Don't worry. Retail staff don't expect everyone to buy something. Helping people and not getting a sale is part and parcel of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Gatica wrote: »
    You couldn't possibly buy a dress in every shop you went to.

Exactly. You'll (most likely) only be buying one wedding dress so vendors will understand. I'd say it'd be more unusual for a bride to choose her dress the very first day of looking. You're better off having a look in a few places to see what's out there and what you like before you make a final decision. Good luck with the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

I could have written the first post here as I felt the exact same before going dress shopping a couple of weeks ago. I needn't have worried. I went to three shops and in each one I met a really helpful, friendly assistant who put absolutely no pressure on me to choose a dress. At the end of each appointment I asked for the details of the dress/dresses I had liked the best, i.e. style name/ number and price and went away. There were a couple that I seriously considered, but I wanted time to think about it. At no point did I feel like the assistant was disappointed; in fact I got the impression that this is how appointments generally unfold! I went back to the last shop and ended up buying the dress I had liked best there.

I think it's such a big purchase that shops are used to people taking their time over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I would think it would be very unusual for someone to buy their dress in the first appointment at the shop unless it's a sample. Most shops recommended to me to go away think about it and then come back and re-try the dress again to make sure I was sure. Any shop that puts you under pressure I would stay away from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Even if you end up buying the first dress you tried on in the first shop you went into, it's still good to shop around and take a look elsewhere. Don't worry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

I could have written the first post here as I felt the exact same before going dress shopping a couple of weeks ago. I needn't have worried. I went to three shops and in each one I met a really helpful, friendly assistant who put absolutely no pressure on me to choose a dress. At the end of each appointment I asked for the details of the dress/dresses I had liked the best, i.e. style name/ number and price and went away. There were a couple that I seriously considered, but I wanted time to think about it. At no point did I feel like the assistant was disappointed; in fact I got the impression that this is how appointments generally unfold! I went back to the last shop and ended up buying the dress I had liked best there.

I think it's such a big purchase that shops are used to people taking their time over it.

Good to hear I'm not alone...I think its a Irish desire to please others :pac: That idea of asking for details of your favourite dress, sounds a lot more comfortable exit strategy than "sorry, I don't like your dresses". Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

The shops I tried on dresses in were very helpful & at the end of trying on a bunch of dresses wrote down all the information for each of the dresses I liked and TOLD me to go away & think about it :) I wouldnt worry - I think wedding dress shops are well used to it! Enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Julie_Lnv

Make sure you take someone with you, who not only knows your taste, but also will not hesitate to speak up. Someone, who will not let you do the fatal mistake :)
    This process should be full of joy! Perhaps have a glass of champagne BEFORE your trip to bridal boutiques :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

It's one of the purchases where I think the shop owners and assistants must be very used to people needing to think, or coming back to try something again.
    Take your time, and don't worry, enjoy your dress shopping.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Once you don't go in and say something like "oh my god, all these dresses are fcuking awful, the hack of them, I wouldn't be caught dead in any of these" you'll be grand! :pac:;)

Seriously I think most shops don't expect you to just go in and put money down straight away. If there are any you like, ask for the name and the designer and tell them you want to sleep on it. I found my dress in the very first dress shop I went to. I tried it on and it was one of those moments where I knew it was 'the dress' and I was all set to order then and there, but the ladies who owned the shop said to me to come back in 4 weeks and try it on again to see if I felt the same way, and if I did, then to go ahead and order it.

Any shops that are putting pressure on you walk away from. Wedding dresses are expensive and you're only going to be buying one (usually) and if the sales assistants are any good at their jobs they'll know that it's a big decision and shouldn't be rushed. If you don't like any of the dresses in the shop don't be afraid to say "I just didn't see any that suit me." You're not saying the dresses are horrible, you're just saying you didn't feel they were right for you. Julie_Lnv's idea to bring someone with you who's not afraid to speak up is a great idea.

Advertisement