Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum budget for 1440p rig?

Options
  • 14-08-2014 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Bit out if the loop with regards to building my PC so just wondering what sort if budget I'd be looking at for a decent 1440p build?

Considering id be looking for a decent monitor, os, k+m within that budget.
    Also is there any value to be had waiting a couple of months for new components to launch?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Also is there any value to be had waiting a couple of months for new components to launch?

Sans a new release like DirectX12 none what so ever.

Will you be overclocking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Hi folks,
    Bit out if the loop with regards to building my PC so just wondering what sort if budget I'd be looking at for a decent 1440p build?

Considering id be looking for a decent monitor, os, k+m within that budget.
    Thanks.

I would wait till next year. If you can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Looking at putting something together within the next month or so, I think I would like option to over clock if not straight away then somewhere down the line.
    I'll do up a build I was looking at and I'll fill in a questionnaire as well and see what you think.

I'm not really doing builds anymore but I think around €1200 should cover it nicely with a good GPU. I'm running a R9 290 and to be fair it's not beefy enough to run 1440p at 60FPS consistently on Ulta settings. Perhaps something like a 780ti might but I really think you're going to need to OC your GPU. The reason I say this is I assume you're going for 1440p for the ultimate quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would wait and see what 8 series have to offer. Should shuffle things around. Even if 8 series will be a bit pricy, it will drop 7 series GPU prices for a short time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Bepolite wrote: »
    I'm not really doing builds anymore but I think around €1200 should cover it nicely with a good GPU. I'm running a R9 290 and to be fair it's not beefy enough to run 1440p at 60FPS consistently on Ulta settings. Perhaps something like a 780ti might but I really think you're going to need to OC your GPU. The reason I say this is I assume you're going for 1440p for the ultimate quality.

GTX760 in Sli is actually a fantastic performer for the money as well at 1440P - faster than and a lot cheaper than a GTX780Ti. Dual card potential issues aside of course. But it is still a fantastic option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

GTX760 in Sli is actually a fantastic performer for the money as well at 1440P - faster than and a lot cheaper than a GTX780Ti. Dual card potential issues aside of course. But it is still a fantastic option.

Even two r9 280's should be just enough to max most games,could get 2 of them for even less. Circa €300 with geizhals,insane value. Id agree i dont think one card is enough out of the current line up. Id love to go back to a single card but wouldnt get to keep the performance no matter what i bought.

Biggest problem with dual card for me is noise,cards usually run between 65-70 degrees after a few hours of gaming on something like Arma 3 and it can get noisy at that point.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Even two r9 280's should be just enough to max most games,could get 2 of them for even less. Circa €300 with geizhals,insane value. Id agree i dont think one card is enough out of the current line up. Id love to go back to a single card but wouldnt get to keep the performance no matter what i bought.

Biggest problem with dual card for me is noise,cards usually run between 65-70 degrees after a few hours of gaming on something like Arma 3 and it can get noisy at that point.

For me its the constant need to be full screen - I like playing in windowed mode (ideally borderless) and use my second monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Bepolite wrote: »
    For me its the constant need to be full screen - I like playing in windowed mode (ideally borderless) and use my second monitor.

Ye im still a bit old fashioned in the sense that i usually play everything fullscreen,bar minecraft that is. Be needin the wiki for the recipies!!

Advertisement