Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tighten V Brakes.

Options
  • 14-08-2014 12:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I need to tighten the brakes on my bike, which has a V brake system.

Ive looked at a couple of videos but am unsure of something.

Should I adjust the brake adjustment screw near the brake lever BEFORE tightening the cable on the V brakes ?

hope that makes sense

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Short answer is yes. It's the easiest way to do it, unless the adjustment screw at the lever is nearly fully screwed out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

seamus wrote: »
    Short answer is yes. It's the easiest way to do it, unless the adjustment screw at the lever is nearly fully screwed out.

Thanks, reason I ask is because months ago, I attempted this. i.e did not do anything with the brake adjustment screw and just started to loosen the allen key bolt to allow me to tighten the brake cable. and when I did this the cable almost took the hand off me, I could not hold it alone with my hand and had to hold it with a pliers

so im thinking it had something to do with the brake adjustment screw being fully screwed in at the lever - does this sound right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd screw in the handle adjuster fully, so the cable is that bit slacker.
    then disconnect the cable from the other brake arm.
    hold onto the free end of the cable with a pliars,
    loosen the allen bolt
    pull some cable out with the pliars
    tighten the allen bolt
    reconnect the other brake arm.
    Check for tightness. make minor adjustments with brake lever adjuster.

I'd have used the brake lever adjuster for taking up the slack of new cable as it stretches/brake blocks wear down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

I'd screw in the handle adjuster fully, so the cable is that bit slacker.
    then disconnect the cable from the other brake arm.
    hold onto the free end of the cable with a pliars,
    loosen the allen bolt
    pull some cable out with the pliars
    tighten the allen bolt
    reconnect the other brake arm.
    Check for tightness. make minor adjustments with brake lever adjuster.

I'd have used the brake lever adjuster for taking up the slack of new cable as it stretches/brake blocks wear down.

Thanks very much !! Nearly a 2 man job with the pliers and Allan key at the same time and trying to pull a cable and loosen a bolt etc.

Will have to study what you said and try and put it in to practice - hopefully I won't make a balls of it.

Advertisement