Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with work email on Android

Options
  • 14-08-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I have recently switched from Blackberry to Xperia Z1 Compact and I'm having trouble accessing my work email on it.

The standard email app that comes pre-installed is fine for my Gmail/Hotmail etc. but when I try to log in using my work email and password, it won't accept it.

I tried downloading the Outlook app (we use outlook on our desktops) but no joy there either.

Any mail apps that would solve this problem for me or something obvious that I'm missing?

Much appreciated,

Darren.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

The default mail client will work fine but you need to set it up as an Exchange account with specific email settings for your company, best to ask IT for your preferences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

The inbuilt app will do the job. Do you have all the correct settings for you mail server?

Also, I'd highly recommend K9-Mail as the email app of choice. Superb app.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Thanks for the reply advertsfox,

I've done the following:

Add address to the default client;

! Could not finish
    Connection to server refused.
    Root certificate invalid.
    Cannot validate identity.

Which gives me the option to edit details:

Manual Setup

Three options: POP3, IMAP and Exchange ActiveSync

IT support have told me the following:
    The account needs to be an EXCHANGE ActiveSync type account.

The username is your email address,
    The Password is your email password,
    Any server addresses should be entered as: outlook.office365.com (only if prompted)

I select Exchange, which brings me to:

Doman\username: (already filled in as \myemailaddress)

Password: (already filled in)

Server: I have put in as above

Then I am offered three tick boxes:

Use secure connection (SSL) - This is ticked
    Accept all SSL certificates
    Use client certificate

Port: 443

I click next;

! Could not finish
    Username, password or client certificate incorrect.

(I have done the obvious things like double checking my password for typos/errors)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I select Exchange, which brings me to:

Doman\username: (already filled in as \myemailaddress)
    Don't forget your domain in your username (you need this for the Office365 setup, I use it too). Formatted as domain\myemailaddress.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

! Could not finish
    Connection to server refused.
    Root certificate invalid.
    Cannot validate identity.

This makes me think you need your IT Dept to install a self signed cert (Or just one not installed by default) in your Trusted Root store so it knows whos guaranteeing the connection.

We have them for a couple of our remote applications

• Advertisement

Still no luck, tried it with as many variations/options as I could think of - Still saying that either the domain, password or client certificate is wrong. I don't think my career as an international hacker is on track!

This makes me think you need your IT Dept to install a self signed cert (Or just one not installed by default) in your Trusted Root store so it knows whos guaranteeing the connection.

We have them for a couple of our remote applications

I'm not sure what the above means - We are a small company, IT is outsourced - but I do know that using my old Blackberry, I connect with just username and password with no manual inputting of settings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sony used to use another app for exchange stuff.
    Moxier Pro is pre-installed on most recent Sony Ericsson Smartphone with Android, e.g. Xperia Mini Pro. We'll tell you what it does, and if you really need it.

Moxier pro is meant for users who want to synchronize their emails, contacs, calendars, tasks and notes with a Microsoft Exchange Server via Exchange Active Sync.

In this special case of "Moxier Pro", pro actually addresses professional users. If you do not have an Exchange account, you don't need this app. In corporate environments, Exchange is used to share adress books across the company and use shared calendars with advanced scheduling features. If you want to schedule private appointments with family and friends, it's better to use free cloud-based services like google calendar - it's free. Exchange in turn costs a lot of money and requires a server. Also features like Push-Mail are possible with most mail-accounts allowing access by IMAP.

Look for this little icon below:

attachment.php?attachmentid=73675&d=1317401989

Advertisement