Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i'm hyperventilating someone help me

Options
  • 14-08-2014 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

right so get this.. this is (part of) my cao courses by rank

1. ucd
    2. tcd

they're all nursing courses but different colleges obviously

my career guidance teacher told me to put them up points-wise, meaning ucd goes first [since it's 425] and tcd is second [since it's 420]… well get this right, i got 460 for my leaving but i don't want the ucd course. i want the tcd one. i've been reading and reading hoping that someone might finally say that "yes, you can pick a course lower than what you got offered for" but alas to no avail…

so what does this mean? i have to wait ANOTHER YEAR before i can go to college? mother freaking heck… i repeated and now i have to lose another year. i swear why didn't i research more.

"you can only go up" -_- what if i wanna go down, huh?

is it possible to do first year in ucd and then just transfer to trinity in my second year?????
    Also, about the "free education" thing. Does that only apply on the first year of college? Does anybody have any more information about that????? PLEASE REPLY IF YOU KNOW
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

yoajing wrote: »
    right so get this.. this is my cao courses by rank

1. dit
    2. ucd
    3. tcd

my career guidance teacher told me to put them up points-wise, meaning dit goes first [since it's 445] and tcd is third [since it's 420]… well get this right, i got 460 for my leaving but i don't want the dit course. i want the tcd one. i've been reading and reading hoping that someone might finally say that "yes, you can pick a course lower than what you got offered for" but alas to no avail…

so what does this mean? i have to wait ANOTHER YEAR before i can go to college? mother freaking heck… i repeated and now i have to lose another year. i swear why didn't i research more.

Seems bizarre CG alright. What I would suggest is contact TCD admissions asap and explain your predicament. That you first preference was in fact TCD, that you have the points and would they look at accepting your application for nursing etc etc. Afaik colleges / universities do have some power of discretion over admission. I am not 100 % sure if will work however.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

my career guidance teacher told me to put them up points-wise

That's unfortunate and very unprofessional of him/her. I was told time and again by my career guidance teacher, other teachers, friends and people here on boards NOT to put them up points wise because you cannot go down.

You could try transferring to TCD by talking to UCD and TCD but you're going to have to accept or turn down your UCD offer on Monday if you get it. There's no going down on the CAO offer. I'd suggest taking UCD and asking to transfer.

I'm sure someone more informed on the topic will come along and explain the situation further.

Edit: You seemed to have edited your OP a little bit so I've replaced DIT in my post with UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yoajing

UPDATE: i called the tcd admissions office and they told me it is impossible to go down. cao's pretty strict, eh. however, it's possible to transfer to tcd after doing one year in ucd, as long as they're similar/same course. meh i guess i'm cool with that. my parents aren't however. they're seething hahaha … haha… ha.. i'm screwed… -_-

ANOTHER QUESTION THOUGH:

About the "free education" thing. Does that only apply on the first year of college? Does anybody have any more information about that????? PLEASE REPLY IF YOU KNOW

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

Firt I don't know how could your career teacher even adivse you to pick your course like that.
    The way CAO works is the order of preference if you wanted TCD the most than you should pick TCD over UCD... its too late anyway.
    If you don't accept your UCD offer you may get another one from TCD in the second round however that is not guaranteed and you may end up not being offered a place at all.
    The only thing you can do is just accept the UCD place and transfer into TCD next year. Just make sure to check TCD standards for transfering. You should be able to transfer because once it is the same course just a different college and you have the LC points for it.
    Oh and remember that sometimes when you transer after having first year done your results from LC would not stand and they will only look at your first year exam results from college.
    And don't worry because you may perhpas end up loving UCD and not even thinking about transfering next year :)

angela1711 wrote: »
    If you don't accept your UCD offer you may get another one from TCD in the second round however that is not guaranteed and you may end up not being offered a place at all.

Sorry, no. The second round offers don't go down on the list either, only up.

If you don't accept your first choice UCD offer before the deadline, you won't be offered any places after that. It's unfortunate and not what you wanted to hear, especially when you're repeating. Taking UCD and transferring to TCD(assuming you'll have the points) might be your best bet.

• Advertisement

Nimr wrote: »
    Sorry, no. The second round offers don't go down on the list either, only up.

That may be right :) im not sure done my LC 3 years ago now so don't remember everything 100%

That may be right :) im not sure done my LC 3 years ago now so don't remember everything 100%

I'm sorry that I sounded blunt. I didn't want the OP to get their hopes up.
    Firt I don't know how could your career teacher even adivse you to pick your course like that.

It's baffling. I'd be having words with them if I were you, yoajing.

Nimr wrote: »
    It's baffling. I'd be having words with them if I were you, yoajing.

you know what's crazy? BOTH of my CG teachers told me the same thing.. different schools. heck, even my friends thought the same thing (and they're from diff schools too).
    i'm a bit of a passive person when it comes to these kind of things.. soo… guess i'll just suck it up and think positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

How someone can become a career guidance teacher and not know something as basic as that just astounds me.

you know what's crazy? BOTH of my CG teachers told me the same thing.. different schools. heck, even my friends thought the same thing (and they're from diff schools too).
    i'm a bit of a passive person when it comes to these kind of things.. soo… guess i'll just suck it up and think positive.

Its not the end of the world I wanted to go to TCD as well and didn't have the points for it end up in a different college and not regreting it now :) I may just do my masters in TCD tough.
    LC and CAO are the worst things ever... so much stress associated with them. Just be happy that it is all over now :)

• Advertisement

FHB wrote: »
    How someone can become a career guidance teacher and not know something as basic as that just astounds me.

When I was doning my LC my career guidance teacher was excellent.
    She had diagrams for everything she was talking about and was always willing to help. And one thing that i remember she kept saying is that the CAO application is based on preference

About the "free education" thing. Does that only apply on the first year of college? Does anybody have any more information about that????? PLEASE REPLY IF YOU KNOW

I'm assuming you're talking about the government's free fees scheme. It pays your fees for each of your college years but it will only pay once! This means that it will pay for you to do first year all the way to fourth year but if you fail any year and have to repeat it then the responsibility to pay the fees falls on you.

I'm assuming you're talking about the government's free fees scheme. It pays your fees for each of your college years but it will only pay once! This means that it will pay for you to do first year all the way to fourth year but if you fail any year and have to repeat it then the responsibility to pay the fees falls on you.

what about in my case? I'm planning on just doing my first year in UCD then the rest in TCD (so long as I get good results). Will the fees scheme no longer apply to me?

what about in my case? I'm planning on just doing my first year in UCD then the rest in TCD (so long as I get good results). Will the fees scheme no longer apply to me?

I'm pretty sure you should be fine :D You may need to get documents to submit showing that you are transferring but it is still the same degree but they would be easy to obtain :)

Are you planing on getting a SUSI grant ? If so they will pay your fees in ucd and tcd too. The only thing they don't pay is the student leavy which is about 100-200 e depending on the college. Oh and if you repeat a year they won't pay for that year as well.

Are you planing on getting a SUSI grant ? If so they will pay your fees in ucd and tcd too. The only thing they don't pay is the student leavy which is about 100-200 e depending on the college. Oh and if you repeat a year they won't pay for that year as well.

so i've heard! I don't think i can get that because of my parent's income. i'm dead set on NOT repeating. i've learned my lesson with the LC haha

so i've heard! I don't think i can get that because of my parent's income. i'm dead set on NOT repeating. i've learned my lesson with the LC haha

So you did not apply at all ? I don't know how high your parents income is but even if it isnt the lowest you may still get some money from SUSI and once you get that they will pay your feess no matter if you will be getting 600e or 50.
    And when applying for a grant this year they want all the financial information to be from 2013. So all P60's etc. are going to be last years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

You get "free fees" as long as you just do each year of a course once. So if you do first year in UCD, and then move into second year in TCD, you'll still be covered by free fees. If you re-applied to the CAO next year and started first year again in TCD, that's when you'd have to pay for one year.

Like the others have said, if you get offered your number 1 on Monday, its the only course you will ever be offered this year unfortunately. If UCD points shot way up above your 460 then they'd be looking at your 2nd choice instead, whether or not that's likely I don't know.

You get "free fees" as long as you just do each year of a course once. So if you do first year in UCD, and then move into second year in TCD, you'll still be covered by free fees. If you re-applied to the CAO next year and started first year again in TCD, that's when you'd have to pay for one year.

Like the others have said, if you get offered your number 1 on Monday, its the only course you will ever be offered this year unfortunately. If UCD points shot way up above your 460 then they'd be looking at your 2nd choice instead, whether or not that's likely I don't know.

probably unlikely! lol … now that the fact that i'm going to UCD has sunk in, i'm surprisingly feeling pretty well. plus, the fact that the free scheme will still apply for me is a relief. in terms of transport and work placement, UCD is much more near and convenient. I guess I've always wanted TCD because my parents want me to go there (+ prestige + awesome library)

I guess I've always wanted TCD because my parents want me to go there (+ prestige + awesome library)

That the reason most people wants TCD :P

• Advertisement

probably unlikely! lol … now that the fact that i'm going to UCD has sunk in, i'm surprisingly feeling pretty well. plus, the fact that the free scheme will still apply for me is a relief. in terms of transport and work placement, UCD is much more near and convenient. I guess I've always wanted TCD because my parents want me to go there (+ prestige + awesome library)

Don't let your parents decide what University you want to go to. UCD is a fantastic place. Congrats on doing so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Provided you transfer into the second year of the degree in TCD you're fine. If you end up doing first year of the TCD course then you would have to pay the fees for that first year, and you would have free fees again come second year and the subsequent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Also be aware that because you are not getting a grant you will have to pay the registration fee which is €2,750 this year, rising to €3,000 next year. Enjoy your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Before you get too excited about doing one year in UCD and then transferring to TCD, maybe look at what TCD says about transferring and enquire from their Nursing school if its possible?
    In the case of transfer applications its not a case of putting in an application and it will be accepted, there usually has to be places available on the course and the School would decide whether to accept your application or not.
    The two universities are quiet close so you would want to have good reasons for transferring. Simply saying TCD has better reputation and library, and your parents went there are not really good reasons for leaving a course.

Also while you wanted TCD and it looks like now you will get UCD. In terms of placement what is the handiest hospital for you to get to ? In nursing, placement makes up 50% of the programme, UCDs General placements are Mater, Vincents and Michaels. Who knows you might end up liking UCD!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭LoveChanel

1. ucd
    2. tcd

my career guidance teacher told me to put them up points-wise, meaning ucd goes first [since it's 425] and tcd is second [since it's 420]… well get this right, i got 460 for my leaving but i don't want the ucd course. i want the tcd one. i've been reading and reading hoping that someone might finally say that "yes, you can pick a course lower than what you got offered for" but alas to no avail…

is it possible to do first year in ucd and then just transfer to trinity in my second year?????
    Also, about the "free education" thing. Does that only apply on the first year of college? Does anybody have any more information about that????? PLEASE REPLY IF YOU KNOW

You could transfer from ucd to trinity and re apply to the cao in the meantime. So if you dont get the transfer you would get 1st year tcd

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

LoveChanel wrote: »
    You could transfer from ucd to trinity and re apply to the cao in the meantime. So if you dont get the transfer you would get 1st year tcd

And it would cost the OP a fortune in fees as they would be repeating first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Angelique

1. ucd
    2. tcd

Hiya I am just finishing up my nursing degree in TCD in three weeks time. Can I just ask why you want TCD as opposed to UCD? It's the same course. I have heard great things about the facilities for nursing students in UCD. I don't think you could switch universities for nursing in second year for a number of reasons. The pass Mark in TCD is 50. It's 40 in UCD. The content of the course varies. As an example you do one pharmacology module in TCD in second year while you do it throughout the four years in UCD. Also modules you do in first year in TCD you do in second or third year in UCD and vice versa. My advice to you is not to waste a year and go into UCD.

Advertisement