Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth travelling to Northern Ireland for baby supplies?

Options
  • 14-08-2014 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hello guys,
    Im due in December (10th all going well!) - first baby, learning LOTS.

After talking with friends, I was wondering if it is worth making the journey to Northern Ireland to stock up on a supply of nappies, medicines, wipes etc?

One friend did it with her first and thought it was well worth it, great savings to be had and was piece of mind to have a stock ready to go in the house.

My partner and I would consider it if it was worth it financially. Nappies, calpol, neurofen, water wipes etc etc. Regarding nappies (and man, THATS one area of learning), would you advise buying minimal amounts of first size pampers?

All new to us, excited to get organised ;) If anyone has any thoughts or experience of doing this all tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Plek Trum wrote: »
    Hello guys,
    Im due in December (10th all going well!) - first baby, learning LOTS.

After talking with friends, I was wondering if it is worth making the journey to Northern Ireland to stock up on a supply of nappies, medicines, wipes etc?

One friend did it with her first and thought it was well worth it, great savings to be had and was piece of mind to have a stock ready to go in the house.

My partner and I would consider it if it was worth it financially. Nappies, calpol, neurofen, water wipes etc etc. Regarding nappies (and man, THATS one area of learning), would you advise buying minimal amounts of first size pampers?

All new to us, excited to get organised ;) If anyone has any thoughts or experience of doing this all tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

I'm due my first in October (33 weeks now:eek:) and asked my Mam and my sister (who has 3 kids) for advice as to what I should stock up on in advance of the birth.
    I have 3 packets of nappies (Pampers new born) which will do for a week or 10 days apparently. They both advised getting no more than that at the start as they might / might not be the most suitable for the baby. Apparently each one is different. The Aldi nappies are better value and seem to be good for during the day but not so much so at night when the Pampers are better. I guess I'll give it the week to see what they work out like and take it from there.
    I got some water wipes as they were on special offer in Boots and they are recommended as being better to use over Johnson and Johnson etc in case they cause irritation on the skin. Both my Mam and sister said that you'll be using water and cotton wool mostly so again advised a wait and see policy.
    If your baby gets a temperature when it is under 2 months old you're told to just go straight to the hospital and not deal with it at home yourself. I bought one bottle of Calpol (I think - it might be Neurofen) and it says that it can only be given to babies at 2 months +.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mrs Peacock

Just to let you know Asda have regular baby events. I think the next one starts around the 23rd August (this might be online only). The instore event starts a week or so later. It might be worth a look around the time. You can even order online and arrange for instore pick up. I stocked up on nappies/wipes etc at the last one. I'm not sure on north v south savings.... I'm based in the north anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Pampers didn't agree with our fella at all, we have found aldi nappies to be the best. Different nappies suit different babies, same goes for wipes , bath and body lotion, formula etc. I wouldn't go buying a load of one thing just in case (we were lumbered with a load of pampers nappies :o) Do you live far from the border? If it's gonna take loads of travelling then it might not be worth the hassle. We were thinking of doing the same as you but after researching it a bit, we decided against it. I have found amazon to be great, they often have excellent bargains, and have used parcel motel with their address in northern ireland to order the stuff that doesn't ship to the republic :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yes and no .
    When I had my 1st 5 years ago the price difference was huge .
    It is still a bit cheaper in most cases but if you live far away it might not be worth it .
    Compare boots UK and IE websites for prices .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm based in the UK and bulk buy Huggies wipes, Pampers nappies and everything else from Amazon. I definitely think setting up a Parcel Motel account and buying stuff from Amazon would work out cheaply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Shopping around, even in your locality, is also worth doing.
    I bought the sterliser yesterday and there was a €25 difference in the price between buying it in Mothercare and Boots. Boots was the cheaper of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Do you mind me asking how much do you usually get the huggies wipes for on amazon Merkin? I'm always on the lookout for deals on them, the cheapest I've found them for is €6 for 5 packs of 64 wipes in dunnes. Its definitely worth shopping around, Mothercare stuff can be ridiculously more expensive but they will price match anything you find cheaper anywhere else which is good because you still get the points on their loyalty card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Thanks guys - I'll definitely check out the Amazon / Parcel Motel combination and see if thats feasible, seems to be the recommended route alright! It would be a roadtrip alright if we were to drive (Kerry upwards!) but we would make a weekend break out it too :) Thanks for all advice, will get busy online and see!

Shopping around, even in your locality, is also worth doing.
    I bought the sterliser yesterday and there was a €25 difference in the price between buying it in Mothercare and Boots. Boots was the cheaper of the two.

We picked up Avent mircrowave steriliser for 13.99 in Guineys. Was 35.99 in Boots (!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Plek Trum wrote: »
    Thanks guys - I'll definitely check out the Amazon / Parcel Motel combination and see if thats feasible, seems to be the recommended route alright! It would be a roadtrip alright if we were to drive (Kerry upwards!) but we would make a weekend break out it too :) Thanks for all advice, will get busy online and see!

If you're travelling from Kerry I'd say it wouldn't be worth it at all. We're less than an hour from Asda in Enniskillen and we dont go up there anymore for nappies/wipes. Every month around childrens allowance tine there is always nappies and wipes etc on offer in Tesco/Dunnes/Supervalu. I also agree on Amazon, I also buy big boxes of pampers from there. Congrats :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Do you mind me asking how much do you usually get the huggies wipes for on amazon Merkin? I'm always on the lookout for deals on them, the cheapest I've found them for is €6 for 5 packs of 64 wipes in dunnes. Its definitely worth shopping around, Mothercare stuff can be ridiculously more expensive but they will price match anything you find cheaper anywhere else which is good because you still get the points on their loyalty card.

The prices go up and down almost daily on Huggies so worth keeping an eye out. I always buy the box of 10 Huggies wipes and always aim to get them for less than £1 each. Boots UK have them on offer for that price at the moment anyway.

I didn't know that about Mothercare at all! We've bought everything pretty much in Mothercare (all his clothes, furniture, accessories etc) so if I thought I could get his little nappies and everything else delivered in the same deliveries then I'd be doing that! I must ask them about it, thanks for heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Maybe not for new babies, but when they get to the the teething stage, a few of the moms I know swore by calgel, which they won't sell in ROI but will up north. I'd probably wait till after the baby is born to see what products work well on the baby and then go to stock up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I think guineys is the cheapest I have come across, for any baby stuff. Baths, matresses, cardigans, sheets, sterilisers, changing mats, etc...there is free delivery if you buy over a certain amount .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Calgel is pretty brilliant,it is what we use when we need to.
    The Lidl wipes are as good as the Huggies pure ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I saw huggies wipes a while ago for buy 1 and get 2 free!!! Yes 2 free! I'm a ditz tho and I can't remember where :(. It could have been boots but the offer would be over a good while now. But perhaps they will do it again. Will keep my eye out for u.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I saw huggies wipes a while ago for buy 1 and get 2 free!!! Yes 2 free! I'm a ditz tho and I can't remember where :(. It could have been boots but the offer would be over a good while now. But perhaps they will do it again. Will keep my eye out for u.

Im sure it was in Boots - I was looking for waterwipes and the salesperson thought I was mad not to be picking up this offer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

I was in enniskillen weekend before last, live in dublin but have holiday home close to border.
    Not great value at the moment with bad exchange rate. Stuff like nappies/wipes are as cheap down south when on offer.
    Medicines are cheaper but not worth travelling far for.
    They do have better/different ranges of things(much better selection of baby finger foods etc) so can be nice for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

I was in enniskillen weekend before last, live in dublin but have holiday home close to border.
    Not great value at the moment with bad exchange rate. Stuff like nappies/wipes are as cheap down south when on offer.
    Medicines are cheaper but not worth travelling far for.
    They do have better/different ranges of things(much better selection of baby finger foods etc) so can be nice for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Huggies wipes are down from €3.10 to €1.25 in tesco at the minute. Not near as good as boots previous deal tho.

Advertisement