Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pilots arm falls off, landing plane at Belfast.

Options
  • 14-08-2014 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, it's a prosthetic arm. Still, not the kind of headlines you'd expect to read about.
    A pilot lost control of a passenger plane after his artificial arm became detached as he was coming in to land, an accident report has said.

The Flybe flight from Birmingham, with 47 passengers on board, was approaching Belfast City Airport in gusty conditions on 12 February.

It landed heavily but no-one was hurt and the plane was not damaged.

The pilot said he would be more cautious in future about checking his attachment, according to the report.

In a statement, Flybe said the senior captain was one of its "most experienced and trusted pilots", and the safety of passengers and crew had not been compromised in any way.

'Bounce'

Shortly before beginning to land the Dash 8 aircraft, the 46-year-old had checked that his prosthetic lower left arm was securely attached to the clamp that he used to fly the aircraft, with the latching device in place.

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) report said the captain had disconnected the autopilot and was manually flying the aircraft.

However, as he made the flare manoeuvre - a stage of the landing shortly before touchdown - "his prosthetic limb became detached from the yoke clamp, depriving him of control of the aircraft".

http://m.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-28778728

Loved this bit.
    The pilot said he would be more cautious in future about checking his attachment, according to the report.

I'd say he'd give his right arm for it not to happen again.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

how the hell did he get a license in the first place, with a prosthetic arm???

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JBRowan

I have to hand it to them for landing the plane safely

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Lucky he didn't get the elbow for that mistake..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Flybe "Proud to be an equal opportunities employer, even if it puts peoples lives at risk."

I hear their blind pilot programme is the envy of the worlds airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

And I sometimes find it difficult to ride a bike with one arm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

The co-pilot gave him a hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I refuse to fly with them.

Always costs me an arm and a leg tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

philstar wrote: »

I agree, it is incredible. Even if he already had a licence surely it would be a reason to lose your aviation licence.

And then he is so blase saying that he will have to remember to connect it properly in the future.

The mind boggles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'd rather get into a plane with an armless pilot than a legless one.

Boom boom and all that...............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I thought you weren't allowed to bring arms on board planes since 9/11?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Was the auto-pilot also disabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

jimd2 wrote: »
    I agree, it is incredible. Even if he already had a licence surely it would be a reason to lose your aviation licence.

And then he is so blase saying that he will have to remember to connect it properly in the future.

The mind boggles.

Many pilots with a full complement of limbs have made far stupider mistakes. Read the Air France AF447 accident report if you don't believe me - two dumb bastards in the cockpit literally flew 250 people straight into the ocean with a fully functioning aircraft. (Ok, they were French, so it's not that surprising.) It's well within the regulations to fly with only one arm, one leg, or indeed one eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JBRowan

You win one Internet well done

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Depending on which arm it was (left), it wouldn't have a huge impact over his ability to fly the plane safely. Right arm might be another matter though.

That aside, I am surprised that he's allowed to hold a commercial licence and take the lives of 47 passengers into his hand(s) on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

he couldn't handle the pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Many pilots with a full complement of limbs have made far stupider mistakes. Read the Air France AF447 accident report if you don't believe me - two dumb bastards in the cockpit literally flew 250 people straight into the ocean with a fully functioning aircraft. (Ok, they were French, so it's not that surprising.) It's well within the regulations to fly with only one arm, one leg, or indeed one eye.
    A bit harsh no? I know they kept doing the opposite of what they should have been doing (e.g. pulling up instead of going nose down to get out of the stall) but the instruments were all over the place. I think it must have been very confusing. It was the dead of night too, so they were blind...I imagine if it were day time, and they could see, they would have just flew the damn thing rather than staring at the bull**** data from the dials.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's well within the regulations to fly with only one arm, one leg, or indeed one eye.

Not sure about that one..

Edit: True enough, it seems that it is possible with the FAA if a SODA is granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Ok, it's a prosthetic arm

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Nothing Happened. it was an armless incidenet

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Having a prosthetic arm doesn't mean you are useless you know :confused: .

If that was the case surely I wouldn't be allowed to drive a car .... and yet I've had a full licence for nearly 20 years! My god, I'd better get off the road fairly lively before I kill someone. Not only that, being without an upper limb doesn't even fall into the criteria that the disabled drivers association have for grants for car adaptions. I drive an automatic car and I have a steering knob on the wheel that most trucks and buses have. That's it.

I've never tried to fly a plane mind you :D but I don't see why it would be impossible. The developments in prosthetic limbs since I was a child are phenomenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Nimr wrote: »
    Not sure about that one..

Edit: True enough, it seems that it is possible with the FAA if a SODA is granted.

How does a can of soft drink help? Unless it was Red Bull.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you ain't seen nothing

In the US, being blind is no bar to owning and carrying firearms.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28587041

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

All I want to know is how he lost the arm in the first place, was this not the first thought that came into everyone else's head ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Pfft. Douglas had no legs and still shot the filthy Hun outta the sky.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Bader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

If word of this gets out, crazy clown airlines will be a laughing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I think thats the end of his career as a pilot sadly. You know yourself.

Advertisement