Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain issue

Options
  • 13-08-2014 11:45pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to get my old mountain bike up and running but a have an issue with the chain which has seemed to lose some of its tightness. Looking at the attached pic probably gives a better idea of the problem. Is this a new chain and block fix or is this actually fixable in an other way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Steep it in diesel/petrol overnight and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

you have a few stiff links,honestly just get a new one how many gears you got?
    looks like an 8spd should do and they cost between 15 - 20 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Just spray a bit of WD40 on the siezed links and move the chain manually with your hands a few times. Then apply some oil and off you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Just spray a bit of WD40 on the siezed links and move the chain manually with your hands a few times. Then apply some oil and off you go!

This should work. I would remove the chain when doing this and give the chain a really good clean. It should be ok.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

logik wrote: »
    This should work. I would remove the chain when doing this and give the chain a really good clean. It should be ok.

Tried this without removing the chain but still the same problem. Probably will do as you suggested and see how i get on.

EDIT: Just to answer GTD's question with regards how many gears i have the answer is 21 3x7

• Advertisement
Advertisement